Golden on with Steve & Gino

LBs and safeties are the most usable players on the roster. In truth it's pretty amazing what they've been able to accomplish on ST with guys like Clements and Laron Byrd and Ventress running around out there instead of James Lewis and Markese Fitzgerald.

In a backhanded way he threw a couple of his own guys under the bus regarding the OL. We have backup tackles. Bunche was a guy a lot of people were high on and Ben Jones was a highly recruited guy although the objective evidence here would say that he stinks. We had the option of using those guys but we chose to kick Washington out there. That's not purely a depth issue--it's a quality issue and a choice. I'm a proponent of what he says--you don't want to hurt two positions to fill one.
I agree with this. I'm sure he's frustrated with depth but I'm skeptical that the OL is the right example. We had some injuries, but we have more options there than most anywhere else.

Re Ben Jones, he was oddly recruited. IIRC he had interest from LSU, but he wasn't hotly recruited. He was a big body with some athleticism. Not sure why he never turned into anything here. I recall being skeptical of him as a prospect when that class signed.

Advertisement
Al and Coach D have said several times its gonna be a 3-4. We were playing more of a hybrid this season cause we didnt have the players he needed for there D

Sorry, but I don't know where everyone gets this from. They've said "multiple" from the beginning, with a base 4-3. Even in the offseason, when they had those students interviewing everyone on the team and coaches, they asked Coach D about the 3-4 and he laughed and said something like "why do people keep saying this? we're not running a 3-4." Like others have mentioned, you need LBs especially on STs. Plus it seems they really like having a few hybrid guys that can be stand up rushers. They didn't run a 3-4 at Temple. They only ran it at Virginia and that's because Al Groh is 3-4 guy.

FOURTEEN linebackers? I guess 3-4 it is?

I said the same thing to myself. How in this day and age (kids wanting immediate PT) how are you going to get 14 linebackers? 14 QUALITY linebackers to boot and not a bunch of stiffs! That would have to one helluva recruiting speech to get that many on a team.

Could take a couple of years to get that number.

Advertisement
I seriously cant believe the depth issue this team has. Its un ******* fathomable how bad corch was

His last recruiting class was atrocious. Half of them aren't even on the team anymore.

Travis Williams
Delmar Taylor
Andrew Tallman
Kevin Nelson
Storm Johnson
Tavadis Glenn
Jeremy Davis
Devonta Davis
Jeff Brown

The ones who remain aren't terrible but not great after year 2:

Bunche
Barton
Cain
Clements
Cornelius
Cleveland
Feliciano
Gaines
Hagens
Hall
Hurns
Linder
McDermott
Morris
Payne
Perry
Rodgers
Walford
Seantrel

Al and Coach D have said several times its gonna be a 3-4. We were playing more of a hybrid this season cause we didnt have the players he needed for there D

Sorry, but I don't know where everyone gets this from. They've said "multiple" from the beginning, with a base 4-3. Even in the offseason, when they had those students interviewing everyone on the team and coaches, they asked Coach D about the 3-4 and he laughed and said something like "why do people keep saying this? we're not running a 3-4." Like others have mentioned, you need LBs especially on STs. Plus it seems they really like having a few hybrid guys that can be stand up rushers. They didn't run a 3-4 at Temple. They only ran it at Virginia and that's because Al Groh is 3-4 guy.
Defensive end is a deep and talented position for the Hurricanes in 2011. With new defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio slowly installing a new look 3-4 defense, the Hurricanes will still base their defense this year out of the 4-3, playing to personnel strengths.

http://www.caneinsider.com/content/639-2011-positional-breakdowns-defensive-ends-part-1.html

3-4 every defensive snap or a variation of a 3 down lineman look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R_a6RiMKsQ&feature=related

Last edited:
Advertisement
You watch other videos, you see mostly 4-3 and ton of 4-2-5. Again, people keep saying that and there isn't one video or interview out there where they say we're gonna be running a 3-4. If there is, I'd love to see it, because that would be the first time. Find that video that I was talking about and see D's reaction to the question, like "why the **** do people keep saying this" type of look. Don't see any reason to lie about it if that's what you plan on running.

Having a stand up rusher doesn't automatically mean 3-4 though. Technically it's a 3-4 kind of look, but some of the same philosophy as a 4-3. Like I said in another thread, they seem to like having some of those hybrid guys that can drop back in coverage, but still keep the 4-3 philosophy. I'm sure it's what they wanted out of Marcus Robinson and what we'll probably see going forward with guys like Rico Williams and Dwayne Hoilett.

Having a stand up rusher doesn't automatically mean 3-4 though. Technically it's a 3-4 kind of look, but some of the same philosophy as a 4-3. Like I said in another thread, they seem to like having some of those hybrid guys that can drop back in coverage, but still keep the 4-3 philosophy. I'm sure it's what they wanted out of Marcus Robinson and what we'll probably see going forward with guys like Rico Williams and Dwayne Hoilett.
Yep, like Belichick says, when people complain about a 3-4, he says "The 3-4 is basically a 4-3 except your getting to chose which side you want to bring the pressure from with your LB"

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back