Golden is a defensive coach

DeadPoets

Senior
That sort of scares me. Most teams usually play to the strength of their head coach. Our worst unit (and worst in country) is what Golden's experience is in.

Very, very scary.

Love Golden as our CEO though. His next tough move (whether now or in future) will ultimately be firing his friend.

Advertisement
His next tough move is getting JUCO defensive lineman that are sought after everywhere (especially by SEC teams) to pick Miami. Second tough move is then getting these JUCO players through admissions.

JuCo is not some cure-all. Darius Smith is JuCo. How's that working out? JuCo players aren't automatically good. For every McDougle there's Chase Ford.

As to the original point, there is NO QUESTION that Golden has significant input into this defense but he does not run it. What I imagine he'd be looking for in a DC is someone he trusts, believes in, and works well with. Unfortunately, that descriptor fits D. I'll believe that D is gone when I see it. Golden said he's the best in the business--that is what he told us. Is he really now just going to fire him?

JuCo is not some cure-all. Darius Smith is JuCo. How's that working out? JuCo players aren't automatically good. For every McDougle there's Chase Ford.

As to the original point, there is NO QUESTION that Golden has significant input into this defense but he does not run it. What I imagine he'd be looking for in a DC is someone he trusts, believes in, and works well with. Unfortunately, that descriptor fits D. I'll believe that D is gone when I see it. Golden said he's the best in the business--that is what he told us. Is he really now just going to fire him?

Magic City said to get JUCO DL that are sought after everywhere implying that we should NOT be getting JUCO players like Darius Smith who was a 0 star talented recruited by no one else.

Magic City said to get JUCO DL that are sought after everywhere implying that we should NOT be getting JUCO players like Darius Smith who was a 0 star talented recruited by no one else.

So how about Ford? Wasn't he sought after?

Personally I don't like JuCo guys to be honest. They're not a guarantee--they're a coin flip like recruits. The difference is that when they're mediocre you have very little time to make them better. You have tons of time with freshmen. It's better if the JuCo guys are sophs than juniors I'll admit.

In my mind, JuCo guys are really for teams that are otherwise complete and one position/player away from being elite. That's the best case scenario--see us coming into 2001 where we had everything all over except dominant edge rush. If you are like us now and you are in total rebuild, I don't think JuCo guys are better than freshmen. We need players everywhere who we can develop over time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back