Golden Griffins versus Canes 5 p.m. (maybe)

Advertisement
Does it even matter?

When was the last time a team got out of a regional and made noise with only one starting pitcher on the roster who had any hope of getting batters out?
AB96ECD6-A104-480C-A99C-1821C7C590B3.gif

Winning this regional is probable. Not winning is possible. If Southern Miss wins their regional Id think they likely have better pitching than us by a long shot. Id say beating them is possible. Losing to them is possible.

Advertisement
LMAO It is all on Macfarlane. He choked.

Yeah but if a kid throws 98 work off his fastball. The first slider he threw he hit the dude in the back and then he calls sliders for 6 of the next 7 pitches. These kids are not major leaguers asking them to all of a sudden pitch backwards is just too much to ask and when your up 4 runs it shows you not only dont know your pitching staff it shows your baseball awareness is off. Same thing with Ligon, his best pitch is his change. He fastball is avg but his first 8 pitches of the game were fastballs. 3 of his first 21 pitches were changes.

You got to simplify things for these kids and set them up for success by using their strengths. If they beat your strengths then fine. But we beat ourselves by trying to be cute and now our bull pen is blown for game 2.

Everyone that’s been here more than a day knows your proclivity for eeyoreing, so I know I’m wasting bandwidth.

That said, you ever hear of Bill Buckner? Did you watch Michigan vs Vandy in Omaha a couple years ago? It’s called baseball. I’m not defending it. No one is happy about it. It’s frustrating. But, again, it’s a part of the game.
Bill Buckner’s life changed because of that play. Probably not the example I would use to show that it’s “just baseball”.

Advertisement
Yeah but if a kid throws 98 work off his fastball. The first slider he threw he hit the dude in the back and then he calls sliders for 6 of the next 7 pitches. These kids are not major leaguers asking them to all of a sudden pitch backwards is just too much to ask and when your up 4 runs it shows you not only dont know your pitching staff it shows your baseball awareness is off. Same thing with Ligon, his best pitch is his change. He fastball is avg but his first 8 pitches of the game were fastballs. 3 of his first 21 pitches were changes.

You got to simplify things for these kids and set them up for success by using their strengths. If they beat your strengths then fine. But we beat ourselves by trying to be cute and now our bull pen is blown for game 2.
Thanks for this analysis. Didn’t pick up on this during game. Not good from JD

Agree completely. And even in the major leagues, the Astros and Rays really ushered in a new era of pitching by doing just that - simplifying things to almost a unbelievable degree by going "what's your best pitch? Ok cool, throw that a bunch." As a Pirates fan, I got to be doubly cut by this, watching our joke of a front office square peg everyone into being a ground ball pitcher, then watching guys like Morton, Cole, and Glasnow thrive elsewhere in places that catered to their strengths.

I love the U too much not to say this and balance the force. But it means we will be sworn enemies. My middle finger will be my smile and my smile will be my butt cheeks.

Sometimes in life you get what you want. And it fucccin bites you in the ***. But and this is a big but sometimes reality was your dream!

So gonfucckkkkkk yourself😎
@HurricanePhilly

Looky looky here at Canes playing Ole Miss . . .

Advertisement
Agree completely. And even in the major leagues, the Astros and Rays really ushered in a new era of pitching by doing just that - simplifying things to almost a unbelievable degree by going "what's your best pitch? Ok cool, throw that a bunch." As a Pirates fan, I got to be doubly cut by this, watching our joke of a front office square peg everyone into being a ground ball pitcher, then watching guys like Morton, Cole, and Glasnow thrive elsewhere in places that catered to their strengths.

Case in point look at Walters this year compared to any other. His fastball is thrown 90% of the time and its allowed him to have more command of it. He also throws less 98s then he did last year. His 96 mph heater at the top of the zone with those rpms is electric.

Advertisement
Back