Golden/D'Onofrio talent evaluations

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
I posted this 2 years ago on Grassy, prior to Golden's first season. Many were worried about his recruiting at a big time school like Miami after being at Temple. Him and D`Onofrio have been together since their Virginia days. I have updated to include his 2008-2010 classes at Temple. Obviously some of those classes have kids still in school. After re-evaluating this write up, I am less concerned with recruits like Turner, McCray, Herndon, Mayes etc. When the sanctions cloud is gone he will be a beast on the recruiting trail, with the ability to coach them up.

Reposted:
Much has been made of Golden as a talent evaluator. I decided to do an investigative breakdown of the talent compiled under Golden going back to his time as DC/LB/RC at Virginia and as head coach at Temple (YES I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!!!). The Virginia talent base in the NFL is fairly impressive for being the second best program in the state. The recent Temple classes have provided NFL talent based on virtually all 2 star prospects or less coming out of high school. Some of these guys may not stick with their NFL teams as undrafted free agents but it still shows talent mining and coaching. 4 guys were undrafted free agents last year and stuck the whole year with their teams and are back this year. I guess you could argue that they have potential, are coachable and probably hard workers. Golden’s 2008-2011 classes are not included for the obvious reason that these kids are still in school. Golden and D’Onofrio had some good talent on their 2009 Temple defense. The trend that I noticed over the years is that Golden does a good job of identifying the front seven on defense and Oline on offense, a necessity for the toughness that he is preaching. He has also done well with RB, TE and DB, hopefully Fisch and recruiting in Florida will improve QB and WR recruiting. It looks like Alabama’s recent blueprint, strong run game and tough defense. Couldn’t complain about that if it were to come to fruition.
2001- Defensive Players not recruited by Golden but starting their Freshmen seasons when Golden was hired as DC/LB coach for 2001 season.
Isaiah Ekejiuba LB Detroit
Chris Canty DE Dallas

2002- Golden’s 1st class as Recruiting Coordinator
Jason Snelling RB Atlanta
Darryl Blackstock LB Oakland
D’Brickashaw Ferguson OT NY Jets
Brad Butler OT Buffalo

2003-
Jonathan Stupar TE Baltimore
Ahmad Brooks LB San Francisco

2004-
Branden Albert OT Kansas City
Clint Sintim LB NY Giants
Ahmad Bradshaw RB NY Giants (transferred to Marshall after being kicked off team by Al Groh)
Cedric Peerman RB Cincinnati
Chris Long DE St. Louis

2005-
Rashawn Jackson FB Carolina
Kevin Ogletree WR Dallas
Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville
Chris Cook CB Minnesota
John Phillips TE Dallas
Will Barker OT Miami

2006- Committed before Golden left for Temple on Dec 6, 2005
Ras-I Dowling CB New England
Nate Collins DT Jacksonville
Joe Torchia TE Washington

2005- Players not recruited by Golden but starting their Soph or Redshirt Freshman years when Golden is hired. Speaks to his player development ability.
Terrance Knighton DT 2 star from Hartford, Conn –Drafted 3rd round in 2009, Starting for Jacksonville, 3rd year in league
Dominique Harris S 0 star/NR from Washington, DC- Signed as undrafted free agent with Tampa Bay last year, currently on practice roster

2006-
Vaughn Charlton TE 2 star QB from West Grove, PA- Signed as undrafted free agent with Pittsburgh this year
Andre Neblett DT 0 star/NR from Rahway, NJ- Signed as undrafted free agent with Carolina, started 4 games last year
Darius Morris OT 2 star from Long Branch, NJ-Signed as undrafted free agent with Houston this year
Alex Joseph LB 2 star from Stamford, Conn- Signed as undrafted free agent with San Francisco last year, 2nd team linebacker this year
Steve Maneri OT 0 star/NR TE from Saddle Brook, NJ-Signed as undrafted free agent with New England last year, currently on practice roster
Brian Sanford DE 2 star LB from Hartford, Conn-Signed as undrafted free agent with Cleveland last year, currently on practice roster

2007-
Peanut Joseph LB 2 star from Hartford,Conn-Signed as undrafted free agent with GB this year
Amara Kamara LB 2 star from Newark, NJ- Signed as undrafted free agent with Kansas City this year
Eli Joseph DE/DT 2 star from Hartford, Conn-Signed as undrafted free agent with Green Bay this year
Michael Campbell WR 2 star from Edison, NJ-Signed as undrafted free agent with NY Jets this year
Marquise Liverpool CB 0 star/NR from Ramsey, NJ- Signed as undrafted free agent by Detroit this year
Jaiquawn Jarrett S 0 star/NR from Brooklyn, NY-Drafted in 2nd round this year by Philadelphia
Colin Madison OG 0 star/NR from Villa Park, ILL-Signed as undrafted free agent this year with Baltimore
Derek Dennis OG 2 star OG from Pawling, NY-Signed as undrafted free agent with Chicago

2008-
Muhammad Wilkerson DT 2 star DE from Linden, NJ- Drafted in 1st round by NY Jets this year
Adrian Robinson LB 3 star LB from Harrisburg, PA-Signed as undrafted free agent, going into 2nd year with Pittsburgh.
Tahir Whitehead S 2 star from Newark,NJ- Drafted in 5th round by Detroit, going into 2nd year with Lions as a LB.
Wayne Tribue OG 2 star from York,PA- signed by Denver as undrafted free agent, currently in 49ers camp.
Evan Rodriguez S 3 star from North Bergen, NJ. Transferred to Temple after redshirt Freshman year at West Virginia - drafted as TE in 4th round by Chicago

2009-
Bernard Pierce RB 2 star from Concordville,PA- Drafted 3rd round by Baltimore
Brandon McManus K 2 star from Lansdale,PA- signed as undrafted free agent by Indianapolis
Martin Wallace OT-Transfer from Northeastern University for Sophomore, Junior and Senior years- signed as undrafted free agent by Cleveland

2010-
Rod Streater WR 2 star juco transfer from Alfred, NY-Signed as undrafted FA with Oakland- 39 catches for 584 yards and 3 TDs as a rookie last year.
Ashton Youboty DE 3 star from Klein,Tx-Transferred from Marshall after Sophomore year-signed as undrafted free agent with Denver.

Final Tally: 47 players
Offense: 22
Defense: 24
Special Teams: 1
QB: 0
RB/FB: 5
WR: 3
TE: 5
OL: 10 (7 OT)
DL: 9 (4 DT, 4 DE, 1 DE/DT)
LB: 9
CB: 3
S: 2
K: 1

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice work, this is why I get aggravated with morons about these coaches and their D. They developed a top 20 defense with 1st round DL talent...at TEMPLE! They did it the same way, playing majority of freshmen and going through growing pains. This is not Temple, we'll have a top 10 defense by '14

starting with the UVA 2002-2005 classes did he personally evaluate and sign these players? as recruiting coordinator does he have to personally evaluate the player or just trust the specific position coaches. also as the recruiting coordinator does he get final say so or would it go with the head coach? (not trying to bash, just curious)

Tough to say, each staff has their own dynamic and some coaches get more latitude than others. For example under Coker it seemed like Kehoe had free reign to recruit whoever he wanted. A lot of those guys were projects who reminded him of himself IMO (Rochford, Wimbs, Wollschlager, Pou, Pipho at the expense of Jean-Gilles,Young, Gilbert) Now under Golden he's going after much bigger names on the OL. I would think at UVA as Dc/Lb/Rc he would have had a lot of pull, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I remember Sporting News talking about him much the way Coley is talked about now as a recruiter up in NJ, MD, PA and VA.

Advertisement
Great Read.

I trust Golden. As you've shown his track record backs it up. One thing I will say is that this is the U. No matter what coach is here we will always bring in talent. We will always put young boys in the league. Look at our pro day. Mike James got drafted and many on this board didn't think he would. So bringing in talent is one thing I will never be concerned with about this university. It's the development of these athletes that Golden has proven. Like Davon Johnson/ Jeremy Lewis.

Daryyl Blackstock, Ahmad Brooks, Kai Parham, Clint Sintim, Vince Redd, Jermaine Dias is a great group of huge LBs. Antonio Appleby and Jon Copper the following year. Jeffrey Fitzgerald was an awesome freshmen at UVA. That team has some fantastic defensive talent in the middle of the decade.

I posted this 2 years ago on Grassy, prior to Golden's first season. Many were worried about his recruiting at a big time school like Miami after being at Temple. Him and D`Onofrio have been together since their Virginia days. I have updated to include his 2008-2010 classes at Temple. Obviously some of those classes have kids still in school. After re-evaluating this write up, I am less concerned with recruits like Turner, McCray, Herndon, Mayes etc. When the sanctions cloud is gone he will be a beast on the recruiting trail, with the ability to coach them up.

Reposted:
Much has been made of Golden as a talent evaluator. I decided to do an investigative breakdown of the talent compiled under Golden going back to his time as DC/LB/RC at Virginia and as head coach at Temple (YES I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!!!). The Virginia talent base in the NFL is fairly impressive for being the second best program in the state. The recent Temple classes have provided NFL talent based on virtually all 2 star prospects or less coming out of high school. Some of these guys may not stick with their NFL teams as undrafted free agents but it still shows talent mining and coaching. 4 guys were undrafted free agents last year and stuck the whole year with their teams and are back this year. I guess you could argue that they have potential, are coachable and probably hard workers. Golden’s 2008-2011 classes are not included for the obvious reason that these kids are still in school. Golden and D’Onofrio had some good talent on their 2009 Temple defense. The trend that I noticed over the years is that Golden does a good job of identifying the front seven on defense and Oline on offense, a necessity for the toughness that he is preaching. He has also done well with RB, TE and DB, hopefully Fisch and recruiting in Florida will improve QB and WR recruiting. It looks like Alabama’s recent blueprint, strong run game and tough defense. Couldn’t complain about that if it were to come to fruition.
2001- Defensive Players not recruited by Golden but starting their Freshmen seasons when Golden was hired as DC/LB coach for 2001 season.
Isaiah Ekejiuba LB Detroit
Chris Canty DE Dallas

2002- Golden’s 1st class as Recruiting Coordinator
Jason Snelling RB Atlanta
Darryl Blackstock LB Oakland
D’Brickashaw Ferguson OT NY Jets

2003-
Jonathan Stupar TE Baltimore
Ahmad Brooks LB San Francisco

2004-
Branden Albert OT Kansas City
Clint Sintim LB NY Giants
Ahmad Bradshaw RB NY Giants (transferred to Marshall after being kicked off team by Al Groh)
Cedric Peerman RB Cincinnati
Chris Long DE St. Louis

2005-
Rashawn Jackson FB Carolina
Kevin Ogletree WR Dallas
Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville
Chris Cook CB Minnesota
John Phillips TE Dallas
Will Barker OT Miami

2006- Committed before Golden left for Temple on Dec 6, 2005
Ras-I Dowling CB New England
Nate Collins DT Jacksonville
Joe Torchia TE Washington

2005- Players not recruited by Golden but starting their Soph or Redshirt Freshman years when Golden is hired. Speaks to his player development ability.
Terrance Knighton DT 2 star from Hartford, Conn –Drafted 3rd round in 2009, Starting for Jacksonville, 3rd year in league
Dominique Harris S 0 star/NR from Washington, DC- Signed as undrafted free agent with Tampa Bay last year, currently on practice roster

2006-
Vaughn Charlton TE 2 star QB from West Grove, PA- Signed as undrafted free agent with Pittsburgh this year
Andre Neblett DT 0 star/NR from Rahway, NJ- Signed as undrafted free agent with Carolina, started 4 games last year
Darius Morris OT 2 star from Long Branch, NJ-Signed as undrafted free agent with Houston this year
Alex Joseph LB 2 star from Stamford, Conn- Signed as undrafted free agent with San Francisco last year, 2nd team linebacker this year
Steve Maneri OT 0 star/NR TE from Saddle Brook, NJ-Signed as undrafted free agent with New England last year, currently on practice roster
Brian Sanford DE 2 star LB from Hartford, Conn-Signed as undrafted free agent with Cleveland last year, currently on practice roster

2007-
Peanut Joseph LB 2 star from Hartford,Conn-Signed as undrafted free agent with GB this year
Amara Kamara LB 2 star from Newark, NJ- Signed as undrafted free agent with Kansas City this year
Eli Joseph DE/DT 2 star from Hartford, Conn-Signed as undrafted free agent with Green Bay this year
Michael Campbell WR 2 star from Edison, NJ-Signed as undrafted free agent with NY Jets this year
Marquise Liverpool CB 0 star/NR from Ramsey, NJ- Signed as undrafted free agent by Detroit this year
Jaiquawn Jarrett S 0 star/NR from Brooklyn, NY-Drafted in 2nd round this year by Philadelphia
Colin Madison OG 0 star/NR from Villa Park, ILL-Signed as undrafted free agent this year with Baltimore
Derek Dennis OG 2 star OG from Pawling, NY-Signed as undrafted free agent with Chicago

2008-
Muhammad Wilkerson DT 2 star DE from Linden, NJ- Drafted in 1st round by NY Jets this year
Adrian Robinson LB 3 star LB from Harrisburg, PA-Signed as undrafted free agent, going into 2nd year with Pittsburgh.
Tahir Whitehead S 2 star from Newark,NJ- Drafted in 5th round by Detroit, going into 2nd year with Lions as a LB.
Wayne Tribue OG 2 star from York,PA- signed by Denver as undrafted free agent, currently in 49ers camp.
Evan Rodriguez S 3 star from North Bergen, NJ. Transferred to Temple after redshirt Freshman year at West Virginia - drafted as TE in 4th round by Chicago

2009-
Bernard Pierce RB 2 star from Concordville,PA- Drafted 3rd round by Baltimore
Brandon McManus K 2 star from Lansdale,PA- signed as undrafted free agent by Indianapolis
Martin Wallace OT-Transfer from Northeastern University for Sophomore, Junior and Senior years- signed as undrafted free agent by Cleveland

2010-
Rod Streater WR 2 star juco transfer from Alfred, NY-Signed as undrafted FA with Oakland- 39 catches for 584 yards and 3 TDs as a rookie last year.
Ashton Youboty DE 3 star from Klein,Tx-Transferred from Marshall after Sophomore year-signed as undrafted free agent with Denver.

Final Tally: 47 players
Offense: 22
Defense: 24
Special Teams: 1
QB: 0
RB/FB: 5
WR: 3
TE: 5
OL: 10 (7 OT)
DL: 9 (4 DT, 4 DE, 1 DE/DT)
LB: 9
CB: 3
S: 2
K: 1
Youboty was a CB @ Taint in the mid 2000s

From that first class you also missed Brad Butler (OT, 4 year starter for the Bills), Heath Miller (TE), and Brennan Schmidt (DT, didn't play in the NFL, but signed a contract and was a great college player)

Advertisement
Edit. You're right it's John Youboty. His brother went to Marshall to play for that Mark Snyder after he left OSU to become head coach there. My bad.

Umhurricano: I missed Butler but I think Miller and Schmidt were part of the 2001 class that signed before Golden got there. Keep in mind this list doesn't all-ACC players that never made the NFL. guys like Tom Santi, Ryan Weigand, Wali Lundy, Kai Parham, Deyon Williams, Marcus Hamilton, Alvin Pearman, Keith Payne

Last edited:
WR should be incredibly easy just being in so. florida! in the voice of Al, are you kidding me!!!! Guys will win unless the NCAA does something crazy

i know a kid who played lb at temple under coach golden and he was high on coach D. said he really knows the game and is constantly teaching guys. I think we have to remember, we had an young, injured, undersized dl last year. Also, said Paul Williams is an unbelievable coach. I think jethro came later on but never spoke to him about jethro.

i know a kid who played lb at temple under coach golden and he was high on coach D. said he really knows the game and is constantly teaching guys. I think we have to remember, we had an young, injured, undersized dl last year. Also, said Paul Williams is an unbelievable coach. I think jethro came later on but never spoke to him about jethro.

Jethro didnt coach at Temple

Advertisement
he was at packers for like 4 or 5 years, then usc for a year, then texas, then back to usc for a few years then golden brought him to temple. he has coached some very good players, mario williams even credited him with his growth. He has some real talent coming in now with aqm, valentine, stuckey, etc. we will see.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back