Junior
Under Diaz, Miami defense rank (yards per play):

2019 7th
2018 2nd
2017 14th
2016 13th

Defensive draft picks the following years:

2020 4th rd (shaq)
2019 4th rd (redwine), 5th rd (mike and joe jackson), 6th rd (jaquan)
2018 3rd rd (chad thomas), 5th rd (mcintosh), 7th rd (norton)
2017 4th rd (rayshawn), 5th rd (corn), 6th rd (muhammed), 7th rd (colbert)

Overall our defense has been very good since Diaz has been here. Yes, not perfect, and I know the schedule has been weak at times, but other teams aren't immune to playing crappy teams either. Regardless of any criticisms I think the fair evaluation is that we've been pretty darn good. But look at the talent. No game changers. No first or second rounders. Only 1 third rounder in 4 years. A bunch of guys that were picked in the later rounds a bunch of guys that went undrafted. Not horrible talent, but not great either.

Takeaway: our defense under Diaz has outperformed it's talent level. That's good news. The glass half full take is that the defense can be scary good if and when we upgrade the talent. The bad news is that even with a very good defense we haven't attracted top tier defensive talent. Why? Well, players want to play for winners. They want to play in big meaningful games and compete for championships. Despite our defense being outstanding we haven't been able to offer that largely because of our offense. So with the improvement we SHOULD see on offense and the (hopefully) better record as a result, a by product of that may be better defensive recruiting and a top of the country defense.

Advertisement
Under Diaz, Miami defense rank (yards per play):

2019 7th
2018 2nd
2017 14th
2016 13th

Defensive draft picks the following years:

2020 4th rd (shaq)
2019 4th rd (redwine), 5th rd (mike and joe jackson), 6th rd (jaquan)
2018 3rd rd (chad thomas), 5th rd (mcintosh), 7th rd (norton)
2017 4th rd (rayshawn), 5th rd (corn), 6th rd (muhammed), 7th rd (colbert)

Overall our defense has been very good since Diaz has been here. Yes, not perfect, and I know the schedule has been weak at times, but other teams aren't immune to playing crappy teams either. Regardless of any criticisms I think the fair evaluation is that we've been pretty darn good. But look at the talent. No game changers. No first or second rounders. Only 1 third rounder in 4 years. A bunch of guys that were picked in the later rounds a bunch of guys that went undrafted. Not horrible talent, but not great either.

Takeaway: our defense under Diaz has outperformed it's talent level. That's good news. The glass half full take is that the defense can be scary good if and when we upgrade the talent. The bad news is that even with a very good defense we haven't attracted top tier defensive talent. Why? Well, players want to play for winners. They want to play in big meaningful games and compete for championships. Despite our defense being outstanding we haven't been able to offer that largely because of our offense. So with the improvement we SHOULD see on offense and the (hopefully) better record as a result, a by product of that may be better defensive recruiting and a top of the country defense.
How about this sport, instead on listing all this window dressing BS how about you list how Diaz’s defense has been with the only stat that matters for a defense, could they get off the field on 3rd or 4th down. And those numbers for Diaz’s defense are are right around the level of cow Manure. Smh All the window dressing stats in the world cant hide the STINK that is 3rd and 4th down conversion against us.

I’m not manny defender but when you have kids who aren’t totally committed, you can’t develop them. Then you get a kid like Shaq or kJ Osborn who’s committed but just isn’t that athletic. joe Jackson and garvin were 3 and done the moment they walked on campus. When people know you are saying that before you play a game, it shows you are not all in. How many Chances was Jeff Thomas give? Pickney is more talented than shaq but has inconsistent and never gave 110% unless it was talking. Also the last couple years we have recruited a whole different type of athlete.

Advertisement
I agree that you can make an argument that our defense under Diaz has outperformed it’s talent level. However, we have a long way to go before we can consider ourselves the top defense in the country and it has very little to do with the offense. With that said, I‘ve maintained for the past 3 years that the defense is the least of our concerns. Improved coaching and player development followed by fixing a boring, conservative and simple to defend offense are/were higher priorities.

How about this sport, instead on listing all this window dressing BS how about you list how Diaz’s defense has been with the only stat that matters for a defense, could they get off the field on 3rd or 4th down. And those numbers for Diaz’s defense are are right around the level of cow Manure. Smh All the window dressing stats in the world cant hide the STINK that is 3rd and 4th down conversion against us.

I would like to see where our numbers stack up when we play P5 opponents only since 2016

I'm well aware of some of the short comings of our defense (I mentioned that in the original post). So you think we have underperformed our talent level? That's what the topic is all about, have under or overperformed our talent. Personally I was surprised that we were ranked that highly in ypp in all those years. One of the reasons why it can be deceiving is that we live in an offensive era. Even if you are a very good defense, you still give up yards and points. Gone are the days of defenses that stifled everybody.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Our Defense of rank is not real. Sure we are better than average but we play a dog schedule. If we played in the SEC or even the Big Ten we wouldn't be in the 20 in any year.

I'm well aware of some of the short comings of our defense (I mentioned that in the original post). So you think we have underperformed our talent level? That's what the topic is all about, have under or overperformed our talent. Personally I was surprised that we were ranked that highly in ypp in all those years. One of the reasons why it can be deceiving is that we live in an offensive era. Even if you are a very good defense, you still give up yards and points. Gone are the days of defenses that stifled everybody.
No one here is looking to stifle anyone in This day and offensive age of football. But what we are looking for is to not give up a 4th and 17 🤢🤮 with the game/win on the line.

Advertisement
Back