Give Gaters credit for one thing

They knew who their guy was before firing their coaches. Knew they wanted Muschamp after Urbie departed and had their guy McElwain pegged when they fired Muschump. We should be talking buy outs and or finalizing the contract for the next HC. Trust me they are going to **** this up for sure with another supposed academic institutional coach.

Advertisement
To a certain extent yes, but they also failed miserably with Muschamp.

So far, it appears McElwain is the right hire as that team is completely different this year.
We need a hire like that. We need a coach (like McElwain) that will come in here, obtain the same roster and show immediate results in year 1........(cough) Butch (cough)

Last edited:
Man ***** the G@TORS !

We don't need to talk buy out! Just get Butch in and the rest will take care of itself.

Gators always seem to have opinions about complicated schemes for UM return to dominance, except the surest thing: BUTCH DAVIS !

Advertisement
McElwain was not difficult to spot. He was the guy I wanted for the Canes opening after Shannon was fired. I was posting on the free board at Canesport at the time and started a thread touting McElwain. Cribby was posting there at the time, and maybe a few others who post here now.

McElwain had already demonstrated as Alabama offensive coordinator that he would blend open field concepts seamlessly with power concepts. That is rare even if sensible. I'm not sure we could have pried him from Alabama but it should have been a priority. Now we're stuck with McElwain at the hated rival program for probably a decade if not more.

If the rumblings are true and we really are already pursueing Herman as our #1 choice than we are doing almost exactly what UF did.

1) Fire coach mid-season and eat more buyout than traditionally would be to show we're serious.
2) Quickly identify a realistic #1 candidate at a school you can outbid/outclass.
3) Offer in the neighborhood of $4M annually (More than most schools start guys off at)

Sounds almost exactly off the Foley script from last season to me.

Advertisement
Florida is a state school with a lot of money. And their school is very interested in winning in football....Big, big differences from our situation. I just hope the BOT doesn't fumble this one too badly.

Hopefully when they close their eyes and throw the dart for who to pick, it ends up on Butch....

They knew who their guy was before firing their coaches. Knew they wanted Muschamp after Urbie departed and had their guy McElwain pegged when they fired Muschump. We should be talking buy outs and or finalizing the contract for the next HC. Trust me they are going to **** this up for sure with another supposed academic institutional coach.

Given the huge number jobs opening up this years, our ineptness might help us. Butch might be the only guy left who will take the job -- again.

If the rumblings are true and we really are already pursueing Herman as our #1 choice than we are doing almost exactly what UF did.

1) Fire coach mid-season and eat more buyout than traditionally would be to show we're serious.
2) Quickly identify a realistic #1 candidate at a school you can outbid/outclass.
3) Offer in the neighborhood of $4M annually (More than most schools start guys off at)

Sounds almost exactly off the Foley script from last season to me.

Or, call greatest recruiter in history and tell him, "I got a contract with your name and $3 million on it. How fast can you get here?"

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back