Game highlights and recaps of the Houston Baptist win

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

My notes from the game.

1. I am not sure which was bigger, Ebuka with the double-double or Ebuka with no fouls in the entire game.
2. When this team makes 3s, they are very good.
3. Anthony Lawrence must be aggressive and take good shots for this team to win.
4. Sharing is caring as the team had 17 assist last night. 14 turnovers is still a work in progress.
5. Formula for success, everyone scored with four players in double figures lead by the seniors.
6. The full court pressure used in the second half was effective. I hope to see more of that in the future.
7. Anthony Mack got some experience and provided some solid minutes off the bench.
8. Miami lead by 13 with 5:49 left in the game. It would be nice to see them finish teams off but depth probably prevents that.
9. Even being off last night, Zach Johnson is the best playmaker on the team in late game situations.
10. Good win and most importantly, the losing streak is over. GO CANES.

Advertisement
Maybe I was spoiled by seeing Lonnie float thru the air up close so many times, but I am so unimpressed by Mack I needed to refute the applause given.

One Lykes shot (missed) was so telling because Mack had a wide-open rebound and never lifted his arms above his shoulders, and ofc it went to the Baptists. Just slow natural reactions I guess; I agree he hustles in the standard defense position but these things combined with his shooting make me wish Coach L would give Willie more time to show what he might be able to bring to the court in realtime.

Took some guts to go with the full court press. I say that because usually coaches without a deep bench shy away from pressing, for a number of obvious reasons. Anyway, without the press, we might well have lost.

I completely agree but it is something I hope Coach L uses next season with a full roster. If nothing else is learned from this season, I hope we all learned that you should fill all 13 scholarships with players. Especially if you want to redshirt someone or injury occurs or someone gets dismissed.

Advertisement
Maybe I was spoiled by seeing Lonnie float thru the air up close so many times, but I am so unimpressed by Mack I needed to refute the applause given.

One Lykes shot (missed) was so telling because Mack had a wide-open rebound and never lifted his arms above his shoulders, and ofc it went to the Baptists. Just slow natural reactions I guess; I agree he hustles in the standard defense position but these things combined with his shooting make me wish Coach L would give Willie more time to show what he might be able to bring to the court in realtime.

You are correct. Your expectations for Mack are way too high. I watched his highlights on Youtube, he is a good shooter but I had a feeling he would struggle with lateral movement (man to man defense). He is a 3 star player because he needs a year or two to adjust to the speed of college basketball. He will be a very good role player for four years. Nothing is wrong with that but if you expect anything more than you are doing yourself and Anthony a huge disservice.

I completely agree but it is something I hope Coach L uses next season with a full roster. If nothing else is learned from this season, I hope we all learned that you should fill all 13 scholarships with players. Especially if you want to redshirt someone or injury occurs or someone gets dismissed.

Back at ya with agreement for the future. I'd really like to see L use more aggressive defensive schemes -- full and half court presses, more trapping and double teams to generate more steals, etc. What it comes down to is getting more easy buckets rather than always having to work so hard in the half court to end up jacking up a 3 with the shot clock expiring.

Took some guts to go with the full court press. I say that because usually coaches without a deep bench shy away from pressing, for a number of obvious reasons. Anyway, without the press, we might well have lost.

Anthony Mack looked like a rabid dog playing defense in that press. We might have something there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back