From the Perch: Duke

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
From the Perch is going to work its way from the ground up this week. The running game will feature a bit as the Hurricane's amassed 300 ground yards on the day. (Jet Sweep motion being a big reason why) We will also dissect why Miami was as porous as the Saturday rains on the third downs going 3-14. Three losses and the tumultuous storms continue but bring you umbrellas buttercups. InSight has plenty of cover if you need it.

Going to start off the film review from the perch with examples of what jet motion can do for you. When you have someone like Jeff Thomas, his speed is going to have to be accounted for. Here you will see the Sam linebacker take a step inside as Jeff comes across the formation. This allows the O line a better angle for the attack. Sometimes for a play to work you just need a simple step on a guy and hopefully talent and athleticism take care of the rest. Homer with a ten yard run.

Yes. Gauthier is initially beaten but that is a tough block for the center to make. His ability to seal it back inside created the crease. Adapt and overcome. Ultimately Miami has run over 60% zone style runs on the season. This is a pistol outside zone concept but the ability to create additional moving parts with Miami's zone concepts including Jet motion needs to continue.

This is followed up with an example of a Jet Sweep to Thomas that was not really effective but important. Duke needed a perfectly well timed run blitz by the will backer to nullify this play. Sometimes you need to credit the defense. The linebacker's run blitz changed Thomas's trajectory which caused the play to string out. The safety is super aggressive here as well and Miami should take notice.

I instantly gravitate on film to over pursuit or sell out mentality. When a defense "sells out" they typically leave "something behind." If Miami can incorporate a slant RPO with the #2 WR (It would require riding the QB fake a little longer) it would have been a touchdown. The safeties over aggressive down hill nature left a gaping hole behind him. Sure you can play action off this look, but a post snap RPO look on this would be devastating vs. a defense who defends it this way.

Remember I said to watch out for "sells out" behavior on film. Crashing safety goes hard onto the Jet Sweep and that is all she wrote. The previous clip shows Duke with a perfectly timed run blitz. This clip will show a perfectly timed run vs man 2 coverage especially with a safety who took the bait and a poor angle. DeeJay scores a long touchdown run but it was the Jet Sweep action that caused this play's success. Also credit Choc who provided a nice wham block on the defensive end.

In my opinion, part of the third down woes these past three weeks is based on the fact of over reliance on similar reoccurring plays. If you have been following "From the Perch" you know that trips to the field on short yardage third down situations will tip this combo: Z go with the #2 and #3 receivers running outs. No surprise. You will see it twice again this week. Duke runs man coverage and this is simply relying on execution to win. Wide receivers do not separate and it is punt time.

Later in the game 4th down and three, a short down situation with trips to the boundary and it is the exact same play call. In my opinion this is an embarrassment. It is covered the exact same way with man coverage and this is an example of being lucky rather than good. When someone says week to week it is about execution I will counter argue it is hard to out execute the other team when they know what is coming.

Personally I would not implement a full "check with me" system (Richt is very anti that sentiment) but you will fix your third down problems tomorrow if you do. Calling this play vs. press man is not ideal. But if you would check to a 22 wheel (or flat), essentially two slants would run and "pick" the linebacker attached to the #3 receiver and the wheel (flat) would be wide open. Miami needs to adopt pick plays, mesh concepts, rub routes vs these looks.

After a failed 3rd and 2 dive vs FSU, "From the Perch" recommended that Miami needs to adopt a hot call for an uncovered slot. Yes. This is why Miami is a bad third down team under Mark Richt. (29% over the past three weeks which on the national average would be dead last) Execution vs scheme. There is no easier scheme than throwing to a wide open receiver off the line whose db is not even paying attention to. (Side note Jahir Jones continues to get beat week to week. Sorry big guy)

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059513863803146240

After that failed third down attempt Miami goes for it on 4th and 2. It will be all verticals from the empty set. Not to be confused as DeeJay is running his customary check down route from the empty look. Rosier does not do his team any favors by throwing this ball out of bounds and this play is doomed for failure. I know certain media members have come in defense of Richt's play calling but there is no defending this call. This has the schematic complexity of a single Lego block.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059515253346721792

I for the life of me cannot think if this is design or execution but it is equally bad. Defensive end is going uncovered and will have a direct path to the QB. Two offensive lineman block down but DeeJay does not chip the DE en route to catch a screen pass. Personally the quarterback needs to know the play and the protections and slide Deejay to his left side in order to give this play a chance.

Miami could use an update in the screen game. There are other effective screen types other than the HB slip screen which is typically the only screen Miami will run other than the bubble.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059517079685160960

And let's finish on the ground shall we. Miami did in fact diversify it's run game this week. Here is man blocking with a nice second level block by Donaldson. What sets up this plays success is the H back coming across the formation. Not only did it catch Duke in man coverage essentially bringing the Sam with Brevin Jordan, it also kept the back side defensive end in check. The defensive end paused and did not factor in the play and it was a nice gain.

I really think Rosier can keep this down the road and essentially run a pass option off this look. He has Brevin perfectly in rhythm for a shovel pass as well. This play literally can be ran with four options if you let it. Nice play.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059527719552278528

Miami ran for 300 yards. That is impressive. The run game was accentuated and bolstered by diversification. The Jet Sweep motion opened up options on film that Miami simply did not have prior to this week. I have preached personally that run game diversification needed to be the number one area of immediate concern. This offensive line just proved with a couple more moving parts that it could operate more efficiently then it has been. So why stop there?

Third downs continue to be an Achilles heal for this team and it is Mark Richt at this point who is the heal. If Miami can develop a better play selection on third downs coupled with its recent run game diversification it will operate more efficiently. But you cannot let some free lance film junkie with no college coaching experience literally see your tendency from week to week. You just can't. If I can see it, I know the people who get paid lots of money for a living can see it.

If any of my suggestions were ever passed along to the staff, (That is Never my intent) I hope and pray it would be this. On third downs please run a check with me system or come with a plus two in the huddle. If a you call a dive on third and two and the slot is open? Hit the slot. If you see press man vs that trips look? Run something different. Just do not be content to run the play and rely on out executing the team in front of you. Take what the defense gives you.

I will take a slight victory tonight because I literally have called for more Jet Sweeps for 2 1/2 years. Pop some campaign people. We have MOTION. Hopefully the clips showed indisputable evidence how it helped and aided the run game. I just hope it won't take another 2 1/2 years to fix third downs and to have my receivers widen out their splits. Cheers Canes fans. I know it's been a tough season. I'll raise my glass anyways.

Advertisement
It'd be more ******* helpful if we weren't doing motion with ******* Langham of all WRs on this team (or Cager....don't wanna give any ideas to these idiot O coaches...). Like what the ****. Put Deejay, Thomas, Harley...even ******* Wiggins, Ezzard, or POPE! on those motions, but not those two big ***** that have no business doing it. Its ******* ridiculous.

From the Perch is going to work its way from the ground up this week. The running game will feature a bit as the Hurricane's amassed 300 ground yards on the day. (Jet Sweep motion being a big reason why) We will also dissect why Miami was as porous as the Saturday rains on the third downs going 3-14. Three losses and the tumultuous storms continue but bring you umbrellas buttercups. InSight has plenty of cover if you need it.

Going to start off the film review from the perch with examples of what jet motion can do for you. When you have someone like Jeff Thomas, his speed is going to have to be accounted for. Here you will see the Sam linebacker take a step inside as Jeff comes across the formation. This allows the O line a better angle for the attack. Sometimes for a play to work you just need a simple step on a guy and hopefully talent and athleticism take care of the rest. Homer with a ten yard run.

Yes. Gauthier is initially beaten but that is a tough block for the center to make. His ability to seal it back inside created the crease. Adapt and overcome. Ultimately Miami has run over 60% zone style runs on the season. This is a pistol outside zone concept but the ability to create additional moving parts with Miami's zone concepts including Jet motion needs to continue.

This is followed up with an example of a Jet Sweep to Thomas that was not really effective but important. Duke needed a perfectly well timed run blitz by the will backer to nullify this play. Sometimes you need to credit the defense. The linebacker's run blitz changed Thomas's trajectory which caused the play to string out. The safety is super aggressive here as well and Miami should take notice.

I instantly gravitate on film to over pursuit or sell out mentality. When a defense "sells out" they typically leave "something behind." If Miami can incorporate a slant RPO with the #2 WR (It would require riding the QB fake a little longer) it would have been a touchdown. The safeties over aggressive down hill nature left a gaping hole behind him. Sure you can play action off this look, but a post snap RPO look on this would be devastating vs. a defense who defends it this way.

Remember I said to watch out for "sells out" behavior on film. Crashing safety goes hard onto the Jet Sweep and that is all she wrote. The previous clip shows Duke with a perfectly timed run blitz. This clip will show a perfectly timed run vs man 2 coverage especially with a safety who took the bait and a poor angle. DeeJay scores a long touchdown run but it was the Jet Sweep action that caused this play's success. Also credit Choc who provided a nice wham block on the defensive end.

In my opinion, part of the third down woes these past three weeks is based on the fact of over reliance on similar reoccurring plays. If you have been following "From the Perch" you know that trips to the field on short yardage third down situations will tip this combo: Z go with the #2 and #3 receivers running outs. No surprise. You will see it twice again this week. Duke runs man coverage and this is simply relying on execution to win. Wide receivers do not separate and it is punt time.

Later in the game 4th down and three, a short down situation with trips to the boundary and it is the exact same play call. In my opinion this is an embarrassment. It is covered the exact same way with man coverage and this is an example of being lucky rather than good. When someone says week to week it is about execution I will counter argue it is hard to out execute the other team when they know what is coming.

Personally I would not implement a full "check with me" system (Richt is very anti that sentiment) but you will fix your third down problems tomorrow if you do. Calling this play vs. press man is not ideal. But if you would check to a 22 wheel (or flat), essentially two slants would run and "pick" the linebacker attached to the #3 receiver and the wheel (flat) would be wide open. Miami needs to adopt pick plays, mesh concepts, rub routes vs these looks.

After a failed 3rd and 2 dive vs FSU, "From the Perch" recommended that Miami needs to adopt a hot call for an uncovered slot. Yes. This is why Miami is a bad third down team under Mark Richt. (29% over the past three weeks which on the national average would be dead last) Execution vs scheme. There is no easier scheme than throwing to a wide open receiver off the line whose db is not even paying attention to. (Side note Jahir Jones continues to get beat week to week. Sorry big guy)

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059513863803146240

After that failed third down attempt Miami goes for it on 4th and 2. It will be all verticals from the empty set. Not to be confused as DeeJay is running his customary check down route from the empty look. Rosier does not do his team any favors by throwing this ball out of bounds and this play is doomed for failure. I know certain media members have come in defense of Richt's play calling but there is no defending this call. This has the schematic complexity of a single Lego block.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059515253346721792

I for the life of me cannot think if this is design or execution but it is equally bad. Defensive end is going uncovered and will have a direct path to the QB. Two offensive lineman block down but DeeJay does not chip the DE en route to catch a screen pass. Personally the quarterback needs to know the play and the protections and slide Deejay to his left side in order to give this play a chance.

Miami could use an update in the screen game. There are other effective screen types other than the HB slip screen which is typically the only screen Miami will run other than the bubble.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059517079685160960

And let's finish on the ground shall we. Miami did in fact diversify it's run game this week. Here is man blocking with a nice second level block by Donaldson. What sets up this plays success is the H back coming across the formation. Not only did it catch Duke in man coverage essentially bringing the Sam with Brevin Jordan, it also kept the back side defensive end in check. The defensive end paused and did not factor in the play and it was a nice gain.

I really think Rosier can keep this down the road and essentially run a pass option off this look. He has Brevin perfectly in rhythm for a shovel pass as well. This play literally can be ran with four options if you let it. Nice play.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1059527719552278528

Miami ran for 300 yards. That is impressive. The run game was accentuated and bolstered by diversification. The Jet Sweep motion opened up options on film that Miami simply did not have prior to this week. I have preached personally that run game diversification needed to be the number one area of immediate concern. This offensive line just proved with a couple more moving parts that it could operate more efficiently then it has been. So why stop there?

Third downs continue to be an Achilles heal for this team and it is Mark Richt at this point who is the heal. If Miami can develop a better play selection on third downs coupled with its recent run game diversification it will operate more efficiently. But you cannot let some free lance film junkie with no college coaching experience literally see your tendency from week to week. You just can't. If I can see it, I know the people who get paid lots of money for a living can see it.

If any of my suggestions were ever passed along to the staff, (That is Never my intent) I hope and pray it would be this. On third downs please run a check with me system or come with a plus two in the huddle. If a you call a dive on third and two and the slot is open? Hit the slot. If you see press man vs that trips look? Run something different. Just do not be content to run the play and rely on out executing the team in front of you. Take what the defense gives you.

I will take a slight victory tonight because I literally have called for more Jet Sweeps for 2 1/2 years. Pop some campaign people. We have MOTION. Hopefully the clips showed indisputable evidence how it helped and aided the run game. I just hope it won't take another 2 1/2 years to fix third downs and to have my receivers widen out their splits. Cheers Canes fans. I know it's been a tough season. I'll raise my glass anyways.

When we go trips to wide side, why doesn’t the far inside receiver run an option route to where if they are overplaying the out he does a 180 and heads into the middle of the field? This ties into your option recommendation

Advertisement
When we go trips to wide side, why doesn’t the far inside receiver run an option route to where if they are overplaying the out he does a 180 and heads into the middle of the field? This ties into your option recommendation

I'm fine with that option route too. I like option routes. Just need the chemistry with the wide receiver to do so. Ultimately this team needs multi avenue approaches on third downs in particular or similar results will continue IMO.

It'd be more ******* helpful if we weren't doing motion with ******* Langham of all WRs on this team (or Cager....don't wanna give any ideas to these idiot O coaches...). Like what the ****. Put Deejay, Thomas, Harley...even ******* Wiggins, Ezzard, or POPE! on those motions, but not those two big ***** that have no business doing it. Its ******* ridiculous.

Yeah. Did not touch on that. Not really the ideal people to do so in the capacity they ran the plays last night. I share your frustration with that one.

Often said Richt runs his offensive personnel like a hockey line. The play stays the same, but he marches out personnel around the play instead of running the play around the personnel.

Yeah. Did not touch on that. Not really the ideal people to do so in the capacity they ran the plays last night. I share your frustration with that one.

Often said Richt runs his offensive personnel like a hockey line. The play stays the same, but he marches out personnel around the play instead of running the play around the personnel.
Which IMO is the most frustrating part. I think the actual playbook itself could be successful, as terrible as it is, if we just had the right ******* personnell on the field, and ran plays that fit that personnell we choose to have on the field.

Which IMO is the most frustrating part. I think the actual playbook itself could be successful, as terrible as it is, if we just had the right ******* personnell on the field, and ran plays that fit that personnell we choose to have on the field.
Fade routes to Mike Harley
WR screen to Dayall Harris

Advertisement
My suggestions moving forward.

1. Keep the run game diversification that you showed and build off it.

2. Diversify the third down portfolio. Has to. We honestly need a check with me system with a natural counter for the play that is initially called. Call the same FB dive, but if the look isn't there....pitch it. Call the same Z go slot outs, but if you see man press, run 22 wheel. If you call a dive on 3rd and 2 and the slot is uncovered, run a quick bubble.

I do no not think this team is incapable of pulling this off.

3. Diversify your screen game. Add tunnel screens. H back screens. Double screens. I do not care. But at this point Miami's screen game consists of ONE HB slip screen. Switching the RB on either side of the QB to run it doesn't count.

4. The Rpo % is down from a year ago. It needs to go back up. But once again, post snap ones are just important in todays game. Lining up and doing IZ/Bubbles off pre snap looks 90% of the time won't help either.

5. And bonus but not to be picky. Dummy motion inside the red zone. You ran a motion play for a 2 point conversion. Simple Flood. But Duke had the perfect zone for it and your play was meant to beat man. When someone didn't run with the motion, I would not have ran what you had called.

6. Bonus Bonus. Move your wide receiver splits out. It's my strange love affair with Kendal Briles offense. I understand the longer throws, especially in the rain but when it is dry? Spread them out. Watch what happens. Call it a hunch with this one.

Actually had fun watching the ground game this week. Miami needs to continue to build off it.

Roman, you know what would be great; a video analysis or comparison of us running the RPO vs ALA doing the same. Are our OL doing the same, are we lined up the same etc. Tau, seems to be getting the most out of this and us the least. Something is amiss.

Actually had fun watching the ground game this week. Miami needs to continue to build off it.

That was a mirage.

Pitt ran for 450+ the week before so 300 is actually underperforming with how atrocious Duke is at tackling.

I'm also assuming the only reason we ran the jet sweep action is that Pitt handed off to the WR in that jet sweep motion about 10 times for 200+ on Duke the week before.

The scheme is trash but we also have terrible QB play, a poor OL, and receivers that don't get separation.

Its a vicious cycle and we don't have any one unit (QB/OL/RB/WR) that is good enough to counteract the shortfalls of the others.

I literally wanted us to go Kendal Briles vs UNC in the bowl game a few years ago. Baylor had a 4th string QB so they just ran the god **** ball down UNC's throat with the wildcat to the tune of almost 700 yds rushing. That rain/**** storm against a terrible Duke rush defense was the perfect time to do that.

Roman, you know what would be great; a video analysis or comparison of us running the RPO vs ALA doing the same. Are our OL doing the same, are we lined up the same etc. Tau, seems to be getting the most out of this and us the least. Something is amiss.

I delivered on your request kind sir. From the Perch Alabama style is in the forums.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back