FBS assistant salaries

CaneCounty

Senior
USA Today released its always-excellent, always-helpful list of FBS assistant coaching salaries… and it’s already obsolete. The first- and third-highest paid assistants in college football are no longer assistants.

Regardless, the list is always full of interesting information, so let’s dive right in.

Ten Highest-Paid Assistants in 2015
1. Will Muschamp, Auburn – $1.6 million
2. Cam Cameron, LSU – $1.5 million
Kirby Smart, Alabama – $1.5 million
John Chavis, Texas A&M – $1.5 million
5. Brent Venables, Clemson – $1.404 million
6. Todd Grantham, Louisville – $1.3 million
Jeremy Pruitt, Georgia – $1.3 million
8. Brent Key, Central Florida – $1.04 million
9. Kevin Steele, LSU – $1.005 million
10. Phil Bennett, Baylor – $980,000

In addition to boasting the four highest-paid staffs (LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Texas A&M in that order), the SEC contains the top four, five of the top seven and six of the top 10 highest-paid assistants in college football.

Let’s break down the five highest-paid assistants by conference.

ACC
1. Brent Venables, Clemson – $1.404 million
2. Todd Grantham, Louisville – $1.3 million
3. Bud Foster, Virginia Tech – $900,000
4. Garrick McGee, Louisville – $850,000
5. Ted Roof, Georgia Tech – $750,000

Big Ten
1. Mike Locksley, Maryland – $891,000
2. Tim Drevno, Michigan – $880,000
D.J. Durkin, Michigan – $880,000
4. Luke Fickell, Ohio State – $640,000
5. Tracy Claeys, Minnesota – $616,000

Big 12
1. Phil Bennett, Baylor – $980,000
2. Mike Stoops, Oklahoma – $850,000
3. Vance Bedford, Texas – $800,000
4. Tony Gibson, West Virginia – $650,000
Shawn Watson, Texas – $650,000

Pac-12
1. Mike Norvell, Arizona State – $950,000
2. Noel Mazzonne, UCLA – $860,000
3. Adrian Klemm, UCLA – $760,000
4. Scott Frost, Oregon – $755,000
5. Kalani Sitake, Oregon State – $730,000

SEC
1. Will Muschamp, Auburn – $1.6 million
2. Cam Cameron, LSU – $1.5 million
Kirby Smart, Alabama – $1.5 million
John Chavis, Texas A&M – $1.5 million
5. Jeremy Pruitt, Georgia – $1.3 million

American
1. Brent Key, Central Florida – $1.04 million
2. Todd Orlando, Houston – $501,000
3. Rick Smith, East Carolina – $405,000
4. Eddie Gran, Cincinnati – $370,000
5. Tom Allen, South Florida – $350,000

Conference USA
1. Nick Holt, Western Kentucky – $303,000
2. Tyrone Nix, Middle Tennessee – $300,000
3. Chuck Heater, Marshall – $215,000
4. Scott Stoker, UTEP – $203,000
Patrick Higgins, UTEP – $203,000

MAC
1. Rob Ianello, Buffalo – $210,000
Kirk Ciarrocca, Western Michigan – $210,000
Ed Pinkham, Western Michigan – $210,000
4. Tom Massela, Massachusetts – $200,000
5. Chuck Amato, Akron – $199,000

Mountain West
1. Will Friend, Colorado State – $500,000
2. Marcel Yates, Boise State – $333,000
3. Eliah Drinkwitz, Boise State – $305,000
4. Jeff Horton, San Diego State – $300,000
Tyson Summers, Colorado State – $300,000

Sun Belt
1. Vic Koenning, Troy – $250,000
2. Bryant Vincent, South Alabama – $226,000
3. Jay Johnson, Louisiana-Lafayette – $210,000
4. Walter Bell, Arkansas State – $205,000
5. Glen Elarbee, Arkansas State – $200,000

discuss...

Advertisement
Todd Orlando for half a million isn't too shabby. Chuckie the chest is at Akron now (for under 200k). Eddie Gran is only making 370k. We could have all 3 for the price of one SEC coordinator. Crazy

Top two, Cam and Will are ridiculously overpaid. Pruitt helped his boos get fired, so I'm thinking he is overpaid. Smart is worth the money. Is John Chavis the old LSU DC? Based on that I guess he is ok but I have not paid attention to TAM lately. How is UCF paying over a million to and assistant? And who is that?

I hope Mark squeezed big money for his from Miami. Smucks have made us suffer for years so Donna could have enough money to bankrupt the school through UHealth. But if he pays dudes big bucks he better fire their rear quickly he they do not produce. "To whom much is given, much is demanded". I think Mark got in trouble for taking money out of his own pocket for his assistants at UGA(guess they were cheap too). He needs to spend on the DC and get the best for what we need here. Enough with the big lumbering 3 -4 crap and beef on the hook lbs. We have the speed, get and us it.

Todd Orlando for half a million isn't too shabby. Chuckie the chest is at Akron now (for under 200k). Eddie Gran is only making 370k. We could have all 3 for the price of one SEC coordinator. Crazy

I noticed our DC and OC didn't make the list. They are still OVERPAID.

Advertisement
Richt will have at the very least the same budget Petrino has. No way he took this job without an assurance that he can pay what the top guys are paying.

Advertisement
Some of this staff salary is overblown. The SEC dwarfs everyone. The fact is when you have a coach who no one knows, good coaches won't want to put their reputation on the line for them. I don't think its about just money. Some of those SEC coaches getting millions suck ***. Cam Cameron for example

I noticed our DC and OC didn't make the list. They are still OVERPAID.
Coley is on 500/600k if i remember well which is quite good considering he suck. No D should be at zero but I'm sure El Foldo hooked him up.

We will definitely be higher on that list next season thankfully.

Not sure which poster stated that Donna bankrupted the school with UHealth but that could not be further from the truth. The U is now a medical business/organization with a sports program and an educational component. I believe something like 80% of total revenue is derived from medical facilities. That is good news for sports, because now the school and it's educational component no longer needs to be the main and limited source of income (as is the case with most schools); ironically, yet that component of the organization is generating more revenue than it ever has in the past. This allows the leaders of the organization to use this income to build the brand of The U. If I had to guess, this is one of the reasons why they are actually investing in football and basketball. The more exposure the better for the brand.

Point is, Donna hurt the football program in many ways (definitely saved us with NCAA mess) but her overall approach to the Organization (it's really not a university anymore) of The U may be really good for long term future of sports and football especially. Really no excuses any longer to not pay for coaching or anything else in the future. If I had to guess (I am not guessing), there is a plan to make our sports medicine treatment and research (where the money is) the best in the country. That would mean more and even better facilities are to come. In addition, expect a large and I mean large donation to go towards athletics in the next year or two. It will be earmarked towards facilities specifically; sorry stadium dreamers.

Thankfully, Dr. Frenk is allowing the athletic department actually run itself. That was Donna's biggest mistake. She was just to involved.

Sorry that was long but I was taking a dump and got bored of reading some of the stuff on here. I really wish The Franchise would post more, by far my favorite read of any poster on here.

Advertisement

Not sure which poster stated that Donna bankrupted the school with UHealth but that could not be further from the truth. The U is now a medical business/organization with a sports program and an educational component. I believe something like 80% of total revenue is derived from medical facilities. That is good news for sports, because now the school and it's educational component no longer needs to be the main and limited source of income (as is the case with most schools); ironically, yet that component of the organization is generating more revenue than it ever has in the past. This allows the leaders of the organization to use this income to build the brand of The U. If I had to guess, this is one of the reasons why they are actually investing in football and basketball. The more exposure the better for the brand.

Point is, Donna hurt the football program in many ways (definitely saved us with NCAA mess) but her overall approach to the Organization (it's really not a university anymore) of The U may be really good for long term future of sports and football especially. Really no excuses any longer to not pay for coaching or anything else in the future. If I had to guess (I am not guessing), there is a plan to make our sports medicine treatment and research (where the money is) the best in the country. That would mean more and even better facilities are to come. In addition, expect a large and I mean large donation to go towards athletics in the next year or two. It will be earmarked towards facilities specifically; sorry stadium dreamers.

Thankfully, Dr. Frenk is allowing the athletic department actually run itself. That was Donna's biggest mistake. She was just to involved.

Sorry that was long but I was taking a dump and got bored of reading some of the stuff on here. I really wish The Franchise would post more, by far my favorite read of any poster on here.

Might be the most astute and best post I've ever read on this board. Post more, friend. We crave this sort of real inside scoop.

Hope you enjoyed an incredibly emptying fecal extrusion. The kind where you feel 10 pounds lighter and you end it with what I call dog butt where you don't even have to wipe.

Top two, Cam and Will are ridiculously overpaid. Pruitt helped his boos get fired, so I'm thinking he is overpaid. Smart is worth the money. Is John Chavis the old LSU DC? Based on that I guess he is ok but I have not paid attention to TAM lately. How is UCF paying over a million to and assistant? And who is that?

I hope Mark squeezed big money for his from Miami. Smucks have made us suffer for years so Donna could have enough money to bankrupt the school through UHealth. But if he pays dudes big bucks he better fire their rear quickly he they do not produce. "To whom much is given, much is demanded". I think Mark got in trouble for taking money out of his own pocket for his assistants at UGA(guess they were cheap too). He needs to spend on the DC and get the best for what we need here. Enough with the big lumbering 3 -4 crap and beef on the hook lbs. We have the speed, get and us it.

As reported, Richt got "SEC type money" for the total coaching staff and he will "divide it up as he see's fit". He wouldn't have accepted the job if this wasn't possible. In fact on Joe Rose's show he expressed how "very important it was to him" to hire the best coaching staff available.

I

Might be the most astute and best post I've ever read on this board. Post more, friend. We crave this sort of real inside scoop.

Hope you enjoyed an incredibly emptying fecal extrusion. The kind where you feel 10 pounds lighter and you end it with what I call dog butt where you don't even have to wipe.

Lol @ dog butt a/k/a the ghost ****. Few things are better in this life.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back