Off-Topic ESPN losing money?

Bird4um

Sophomore
Premium
Just fired a lot of people. Rose. Mcshey. Pollack. Among others.

I wonder if contracts start going the opposite way. NBA is losing ratings as well.

Advertisement

I wonder if contracts start going the opposite way. NBA is losing ratings as well.

I dont believe they are losing money, but Disney profits and stock are down substantially, which often invites expense cuts. The culture wars are also likely hurting them as well.

The internet killed ESPN, just like it did MTV. There are a million places to have a conversation about sports now, each finely tuned to your specific interest, and accessibility is no longer and issue for highlights or live sports.

ESPN thrived when it was literally the only place you could watch a replay or breakdown of big games. That era aged faster than spoiled milk, it’s never coming back, and they’re bloated because of it.

Advertisement
The internet killed ESPN, just like it did MTV. There are a million places to have a conversation about sports now, each finely tuned to your specific interest, and accessibility is no longer and issue for highlights or live sports.

ESPN thrived when it was literally the only place you could watch a replay or breakdown of big games. That era aged faster than spoiled milk, it’s never coming back, and they’re bloated because of it.
Once ESPN dies (which is happening slowly, cable will soon follow. Cable TV is on its' deathbed. When the providers figure out their streaming services, then that will be the end of ESPN and cable. Streaming is the future.

I dont believe they are losing money, but Disney profits and stock are down substantially, which often invites expense cuts. The culture wars are also likely hurting them as well.
ESPN has been losing money for years ever since chord cutting became popular.

If not for the live sports, ESPN wouldn't even come on my TV. The shows are so god awful and obviously skewed politically one way, as a whole, it is nearly unwatchable.
This is why I stopped watching. The shows already suck then I have to be water boarded with political bs. People are tired of this **** and Disney is the biggest culprit.

Advertisement

Called evolution. They literally created the category. I'm an old fart so I recall the "pre-espn" sports reporting environment. Back then ... on all three networks (NBC, CBS, ABC) after the evening news there would be 3-4 minutes dedicated to a recap of sports events. "Yankees beat Red Sox, Bears over Giants, Celtics over Knicks" ... and that was it. No internet ... you literally had to search regional newspapers for information or look at score recaps in the Sunday paper. Computers, electronic media, cell phones, an amazing information transformation worldwide has taken place in the last 40 years.

This is it. This is thr answer. All the stuff about being woke, too political, etc is nonsense. ESPN notoriously doesn't allow anyone to speak about politics. Their individual employees obviously have political views and many have been punished for it, and yes, the liberal ones, like Woj, etc. If that's the case, then what about **** places like Outkick, where the entire premise is sports from crazy conservative?

ESPN was THE sports channel. Even when FS1, NBCsports came after it, it didnt cause much of a demt. The issue with espn is that cable is dying. Even live sports have taken a hit. Virtually every single live sporting event viewership dropped from mlb, nba, to the Kentucky derby. There is too much competition for cable from the internet. So many different things to warch and so many different ways to watch, stream, etc. ESPN is seemingly banking on just having a few high follower people host shows, etc like Pat McAfee, Stephen A Smith, etc. It's essentially becoming podcast on TV. Personally, i hope ESPN sticks around. It would be annoying having a bunch of different leagues, or several games from the same league, spread around a million different streaming sites. That defeats the purpose of cord cutting. Even better, have it all go back old school to ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Disney is on the hook for billions to Comcast. Either $8.7B or over $27B. That’s due to a contract that they signed with FOX and Comcast to partner on Hulu years ago, that allows Comcast to be bought out in the first quarter of Jan 2024. That’s likely driving most of their cost cutting decision.

I can't see Hulu being worth 27.5B. I also highly doubt ESPN is losing money. They are just realizing the woke content drives very little eyeballs while the live sports drive a ton. This is why the B1G will win out over the SEC. They aren't attached to one network like the SEC is to ESPN.

Advertisement
I can't see Hulu being worth 27.5B. I also highly doubt ESPN is losing money. They are just realizing the woke content drives very little eyeballs while the live sports drive a ton. This is why the B1G will win out over the SEC. They aren't attached to one network like the SEC is to ESPN.
They owe at minimum $8.7B in January - that’s if the arbitration goes in Disneys favor. The contract is clear and Comcast has indicated that they are activating it. That’s a big fee for any company to pay at once. It’s why there is some speculation that Disney may be selling Lucasfilm shortly to help pay for the Hulu bill.

This is it. This is thr answer. All the stuff about being woke, too political, etc is nonsense. ESPN notoriously doesn't allow anyone to speak about politics. Their individual employees obviously have political views and many have been punished for it, and yes, the liberal ones, like Woj, etc. If that's the case, then what about **** places like Outkick, where the entire premise is sports from crazy conservative?
Ive seen it all

Advertisement
They owe at minimum $8.7B in January - that’s if the arbitration goes in Disneys favor. The contract is clear and Comcast has indicated that they are activating it. That’s a big fee for any company to pay at once. It’s why there is some speculation that Disney may be selling Lucasfilm shortly to help pay for the Hulu bill.
Except that Disney has $10.3B of cash on hand and likely could raise billions with the sale of stock.

Advertisement
Back