(ESPN+) College football coaching hot seats: Who's under pressure in 2021?

ben

Senior
Premium

Interesting, Manny Diaz not even mentioned (but Butch da Gawd is):

ACC​

Hot seat: Dino Babers, Syracuse; Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech
Keep an eye on: David Cutcliffe, Duke; Dave Doeren, NC State; Scott Satterfield, Louisville

Big 12​

Hot seat: Matt Wells, Texas Tech; Les Miles, Kansas
Keep an eye on: Gary Patterson, TCU

Big Ten​

Hot seat: Jim Harbaugh, Michigan
Keep an eye on: Scott Frost, Nebraska

Pac-12​

Hot seat: Clay Helton, USC; Chip Kelly, UCLA
Keep an eye on: None

SEC​

Hot seat: Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee
Keep an eye on: Ed Orgeron, LSU

Group of 5​

Hot seat: Seth Littrell, North Texas; Tom Arth, Akron; Randy Edsall, UConn; Doug Martin, New Mexico State; Dana Dimel, UTEP; Chip Lindsey, Troy
Keep an eye on: Jake Spavital, Texas State; Dana Holgorsen, Houston; Scott Loeffler, Bowling Green; Walt Bell, UMass; Mike Houston, East Carolina; Willie Taggart, Florida Atlantic; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Frank Solich, Ohio; Butch Davis, Florida International

Advertisement
What happened to the "we should have hired Les Miles" crew?

Harbaugh just signed an extension. I'm guessing his seat isn't that hot.

ACC​

Keep an eye on: David Cutcliffe, Duke; Dave Doeren, NC State; Scott Satterfield, Louisville

Big 12​

Big Ten​

Pac-12​

SEC​

Group of 5​

Hot seat: Seth Littrell, North Texas; Tom Arth, Akron; Randy Edsall, UConn; Doug Martin, New Mexico State; Dana Dimel, UTEP; Chip Lindsey, Troy
Keep an eye on: Jake Spavital, Texas State; Dana Holgorsen, Houston; Scott Loeffler, Bowling Green; Walt Bell, UMass; Mike Houston, East Carolina; Willie Taggart, Florida Atlantic; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Frank Solich, Ohio; Butch Davis, Florida International

Wtf is wrong with a portion of this fanbase. A second year year coach who just finished with a **** good recruiting class coming off a 8-3 season will never be on any hot seat. Common sense tell you that. 6-7 to 8-3 in the real world is called obvious progress. This is not a video game where you can put in a cheat code and your in the National Championship game.

ACC​

Big 12​

Big Ten​

Pac-12​

SEC​

Group of 5​

The dream would be but it won’t happen because regardless of what this article says he ain’t ever getting fired by TCU. Would be Gary Paterson being let go along with manure at the end of next season and Gary coming down to Miami like he should have in 2006 if it wasn’t Donna the troll and her make a wish hire of Radio. JJ said Gary was the guy but did Donna listen, **** no because she’s the smartest **** in the room of course! Lol 🤢🤮

Advertisement
Why in the world would he be on the hot seat? He increased our win total, got the right guys to return, signed a top 10 class, kept the top local guys, killed the portal again, brought in arguably the best db coach in America and a technician to teach the DL.

Why in the world would he be on the hot seat? He increased our win total, got the right guys to return, signed a top 10 class, kept the top local guys, killed the portal again, brought in arguably the best db coach in America and a technician to teach the DL.
All positives no doubt and too infrequently forgotten. That being said, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Results on the field will matter.

And got humiliated by the only 3 teams worth a **** this year. On top of 2 of the worst losses in program history the year before. Literally, record-setting bad performances against UNC. That's the standard? 14-10 is okay at the U now?

Idk maybe because he owns the two worse losses in program history in back to back years? Maybe because his teams always come out lifeless, undisciplined, unprepared, unmotivated with terrible technique to start every game he’s been head coach for? Also maybe because every announcer, analyst or former coach who has watched or called one of our games has said over and over again how badly coached this team is? Idk just a few ideas of why he could be on the hotseat but I forgot it’s the off-season and “ Manure rules the off season bro” smh

Advertisement
And got humiliated by the only 3 teams worth a **** this year. On top of 2 of the worst losses in program history the year before. Literally, record-setting bad performances against UNC. That's the standard? 14-10 is okay at the U

We weren’t humiliated by osu. Clemson was simply a better team.

And no it’s not the standard but it’s not that dissimilar to Howard, Butch and Jimmy’s starts record wise is it.

Last edited:
Wtf is wrong with a portion of this fanbase. A second year year coach who just finished with a **** good recruiting class coming off a 8-3 season will never be on any hot seat. Common sense tell you that. 6-7 to 8-3 in the real world is called obvious progress. This is not a video game where you can put in a cheat code and your in the National Championship game.
Alabama cheats there way to the National Championship

Advertisement
Idk maybe because he owns the two worse losses in program history in back to back years? Maybe because his teams always come out lifeless, undisciplined, unprepared, unmotivated with terrible technique to start every game he’s been head coach for? Also maybe because every announcer, analyst or former coach who has watched or called one of our games has said over and over again how badly coached this team is? Idk just a few ideas of why he could be on the hotseat but I forgot it’s the off-season and “ Manure rules the off season bro” smh
This right here. It's reason enough.

Advertisement
We weren’t humiliated by osu. Clemson was simply a better team.

And no it’s not the standard but it’s not that dissimilar to Howard, Butch and Jimmy’s starts record wise is it.
Granted your right here Go. At 21 to 0 in the first quarter it did look like we’re about to be humiliated but we fought back and made a game of it which was a pleasant surprise. Especially seeing how this team has already quit on Diaz’s twice in just two seasons. Like I’ve told you, I have a lot of respect for your optimism and I wish I still had it. But this recent round of defensive bandaids is giving me the same horrifying feeling I had in the beginning of 2014 after goldy kept donut after the Louisville bowl beating and it’s just another straw that broke the camels back for me with Diaz. Idk maybe will finally get lucky this time but call me Skeptical since we’ve already seen this movie before.

You guys are wasting your breath with the troll. He loved slip n slide as a kid.

ACC​

Big 12​

Big Ten​

Pac-12​

SEC​

Group of 5​

Stopped reading when address bar said "espn.com"

although I do love me some @ben and his posts...

😄

I mean, it is one lf my burner accounts ya know ya dig?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back