Encouraging lessons- coaches who improved after year 1

Johnson3

Banned
Banned
Lesson #1 is Randy Shannon. Like Manny Diaz, he was a first time head coach who was learning as he went along. He went 5-7 his first year, including a 48 point loss to a 9-4 team. By year 2, he was improving, and went 7-6. In year 3, despite facing ranked opponents in his first 4 games, he improved again, to 9-4. In year 4, he had the team ranked in the top 15 in the presason. In the second game of his fourth year, he lead the #2 ranked team on the road by 7 points in the 2nd quarter.

Lesson #2 is Al Golden. He went just 6-6 his first year, including a loss to a Maryland team that went 0-10 against other FBS opponents. In year 2, he improved to 7-5. In year 3, he started the year 7-0, and had the team ranked #7. His team then went on the road to face the #3 team, and had the ball near midfield down by just 7 points in the second half.

If you want a non-Miami coach, here is lesson #3- Will Muschamp. He was a first time head coach, and had a learning curve, going 6-6 in his first regular season. But in year 2, he went 11-1 in the regular season. In year 3, he started 4-1, his only loss coming to Al Golden during his big 7-0 start.

Last edited:
Advertisement
With respect to Al golden we could have lost most of those games that we started off 7-0 with. Honestly there wasn't any improvement it's not any different than we were in 2017. We started off 10-0 but most of those wins could have just as easily been losses.

Maybe Manny improves but right now it's clear he has no idea what he's doing as a head coach. This team is so fundamentally outcoached by every single opponent. The team's talent keeps it somewhat close.

Advertisement
If Manny Diaz had a top three class like Kirby Saban Urban etc i think my leash would be ok. I would say ok we r losing but wait till the future. Everyone with a brain knew UGA Bama and those teams woukd compete eventually by the goods they were bringing in. Diaz doesnt have that so he needs to go....they need to fire him now cause its going to get alot worse if they let him stay three seasons.

Think he is saying, essentially we’re screwed. By default we are going to improve, and that will be enough to stay status quo. We need a overhaul of our whole program or proven coach that can make an immediate impact

With respect to Al golden we could have lost most of those games that we started off 7-0 with. Honestly there wasn't any improvement it's not any different than we were in 2017. We started off 10-0 but most of those wins could have just as easily been losses.

Maybe Manny improves but right now it's clear he has no idea what he's doing as a head coach. This team is so fundamentally outcoached by every single opponent. The team's talent keeps it somewhat close.

We did have big games against Va Tech and especially Notre Dame in 2017. Otherwise it was basically the same as 2013.

The only thing that looking at Al Golden and Randy Shannon does it show us that we've got 4-5 years before Manny will be fired.

Advertisement
Think he is saying, essentially we’re screwed. By default we are going to improve, and that will be enough to stay status quo. We need a overhaul of our whole program or proven coach that can make an immediate impact

Exactly.

I think we'll probably be better in year 2 and year 3 than this year. But that's just because it's hard to be this bad 2 or 3 years in a row. It's not really anything positive about Manny as a coach.

Advertisement
Saban went 5-7 or 6-6 his 1st year at bama so there’s that 🤷🏾‍♂️

He went 6-6 his first regular season with a loss to La Monroe. I don't think I would remember Saban's first record at Alabama if it weren't constantly porsted about on CIS.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back