Elite Recruiting, "It's the players" and why Al sucks balls

TriStarCane

Coaching Carousel 2029
Recruiting in CFB is the lifeblood of the program. It determines everything for a staff. This is all connected to many of the points and complaints made against Golden, so I thought I would share. Many have pointed out that Golden does not land "elite" classes and that contributes to either 1. lack of talent (the "we don't have the players crowd") or 2. "we don't recruit at an elite level, so that's why this staff is has to go" crowd. The first point is beyond retarded relative to our opponents. See my coming points. To the second point, I don't disagree, but I also don't think it matters. Top 10 classes would probably make the case against him worse. He already can't win with a distinct advantage.

Let's make the general statement that a consensus top 10 class on the 3 sites (247, ESPN, Rivals) constitutes an "elite" class. I think this is fair given the amount of teams competing for players and the varying evaluation metrics. Consider the following...

1. Our average recruiting rank across all 3 platforms has been 17th nationally, 2nd in Conference and 1st in the Coastal.
2. In years that Golden has had a full year to recruit, he has finished FIRST in the Coastal division in recruiting on all 3 sites.
3. In 2011, he still managed to finish in the top 30 nationally, 3rd in the division and 6th in the ACC
4. Miami has only played 3 (THREE!) teams that have even FINISHED above them in the rankings in a given year: FSU, Florida, Notre Dame (Our record against those teams is 1-4.)
5. Miami's highest finish is 8th in 2012 and we have had 2 top 10 finishes in 2012 and 2014 in at least 1 ranking site. The highest anyone in the Coastal has ever finished in UNC at 16 in 2011. No other Coastal team has ever cracked the top 20 on any site. We've done it every year but 2011 for every site.
6. Our 3 biggest opponents in our division from a pure rankings standpoint? UNC, Virginia Tech and Virginia. What is there average rank you might ask? 30, 25, 27 respectively.

All of that to say this: while we might not be considered "elite" on the recruiting trail, we would still be considered good. An average class of 17 is pretty good on a national scale. The crazy thing is that we blow our division away from a pure "numbers" standpoint. There is no excuse on paper that we have far superior talent. You could even make a case that we have more talent than Clemson on paper, but I don't have the energy to show all that tonight. The point is that we consistently lose to teams that have no business being on the field with us. Teams that would kill to have our second team guys. It is up to the coaches to get from paper to playing field. Al is getting outclassed weekly with top quartile studs on his roster. In my honest opinion, it makes all of this even worse. Taking this into consideration with his lack of development, poor scheme and inability to avoid player attrition, it's pretty easy for me to see the solution. Bye, Al

Advertisement
That's great, but I don't get the point. I haven't seen anyone say that "it's the players" now that Randy's players are gone. I think everyone acknowledges that AG has upgraded the talent level but is not developing them well enough (not to mention questionable skeemz).

Advertisement
Back