Earl Morral -- RIP

Gatorhater

All-American
Another Cane family passed. Earl was the volunteer QB coach for Howard's team. Coached up Jim, Bernie and Vinny. Rest in Peace my man.

Advertisement
A great QB with a storied NFL career. Some here would say he couldn't beat Bob Griese.

I remember him passing through section 29 in the OB just like any other guy, waving at the few who knew who he was. I will remember him fondly.

I remember him well, especially from my days as a Dolphins fan. People don't remember that Morrall was the Dolphins QB, not Griese, that played most of the games during the Dolphins incredible 1972 perfect season. Griese was injured most of the season, and Morrall led them into the playoffs, winning the first game, only to be replaced against Pittsburgh in the AFC championship. Griese kept the starting job in the Super Bowl against the Redskins.

Morrall had a lot of great seasons, leading the Colts to the Super Bowl which they lost to Namath and the Jets. He was a Shula and Schnellenberger guy, and he preceded Mark Trestman as QB coach. I think the NCAA might have changed the regulations regarding volunteer coaches so I think that's what led Morrall to leaving. He was there for Kelly I think, and Kosar, Testaverde, Mark Richt and Kyle Vandewende.

Jim Kiick and Larry Csonka said some funny things about Morrall in their joint autobiography, Always on the Run (as I remember the name of it), saying that Morrall was one who never swore, always used old fuddy duddy phrases like "Dagnabit!" when he was upset. Always had that retro flat top that many jocks wore in the '50's and early '60's. (I'm quoting the Kick-Csonka stuff from memory--I haven't looked at that book in maybe 35 years, although I remember a lot of the stories and exploits. There was some funny stuff that used to go on.)

Advertisement
When we were little kids, my brother and I always tried to imitate his throwing motion. High 12-6 motion..at least that was WE thought we were imitating.
I loved it when Schnelly brought him aboard.

I remember him well, especially from my days as a Dolphins fan. People don't remember that Morrall was the Dolphins QB, not Griese, that played most of the games during the Dolphins incredible 1972 perfect season. Griese was injured most of the season, and Morrall led them into the playoffs, winning the first game, only to be replaced against Pittsburgh in the AFC championship. Griese kept the starting job in the Super Bowl against the Redskins.

Morrall had a lot of great seasons, leading the Colts to the Super Bowl which they lost to Namath and the Jets. He was a Shula and Schnellenberger guy, and he preceded Mark Trestman as QB coach. I think the NCAA might have changed the regulations regarding volunteer coaches so I think that's what led Morrall to leaving. He was there for Kelly I think, and Kosar, Testaverde, Mark Richt and Kyle Vandewende.

Jim Kiick and Larry Csonka said some funny things about Morrall in their joint autobiography, Always on the Run (as I remember the name of it), saying that Morrall was one who never swore, always used old fuddy duddy phrases like "Dagnabit!" when he was upset. Always had that retro flat top that many jocks wore in the '50's and early '60's. (I'm quoting the Kick-Csonka stuff from memory--I haven't looked at that book in maybe 35 years, although I remember a lot of the stories and exploits. There was some funny stuff that used to go on.)

I watched Earl as a Colt in Super Bowl III against the Jets and then every home game of during the Perfect Season. He has a run late in the season to ice a game against the Jets I think. You could have gone to the restroom in the West End at the beginning of the run and got back in time to finish a hot dog before he was done. He was a little slow.

Advertisement
Back