Duke 2015 was the game Malik looked best

OriginalGatorHater

Sophomore
So I couldn't sleep last night and ended up watching the 2015 Duke game with Malik as QB. I couldn't believe what I saw. He looked considerably better in that game compared to what we saw last year and his few games this year. For starters he logged his highest completion percentage against a P5 opponent in that game. In addition take a look at his highlights from that game. I challenge anyone to find me tape of him throwing better passes than these. He is hitting his runners in stride. He is making accurate throws. He just looks like a much more polished QB than he did last year and this year. If you watch the entire game you will see even more good solid throws throughout the game. Before people start going off about this is how he would look with a good line. Even when he is going against FCS opponents and G5 teams and has plenty of time in the pocket he still doesn't make throws like this anymore. Regardless this was 3 years ago. He should be lightyears better at this point and instead he is significantly worse. He seriously regressed under junior and it is very worrisome.

Advertisement
That's a really small sample size against a medicore at best Duke defense. His poorest performances against "bad" competition have come against defensive minded head coaches.

Won't bother to look it up but I bet you'd see a ton of the same wobbly, off target, questionable throws we see today in the Clemson game he played in that same year.

Play calling definitely doesnt help but he is simply not good enough to even be average against a decent defense,

Last edited:
I think it’s now well known that Jon Richt is a ****** QB coach and recruiter . Beating a dead horse at this point

It’s not beating a dead horse until the horse is dead.

Jonny Knownothing is still collecting a fat paycheck from the []_[] while KEN mother****ing DORSEY is sitting across town in a 10x10 windowless office playing spider solitaire

Needs his own thread quite frankly

Was thinking about this the other day.

Don’t ignore that line tho. Take look at the line in Golden’s last year compared to Rechts first year..... it regressed. Searels needs to go too.

2 out of 3 sides of the ball have slid significantly since Recht arrived.

Last edited:
Advertisement
For me, the irony to all the Rosier rumblings is that Richt flat out told Rosier he'd never start for him. Whether due to attrition, Rosier improving (such as it is), or not having better options @ QB, Rosier starts last year and is apparently the best option now.

That's a really small sample size against a medicore at best Duke defense. His poorest performances against "bad" competition have come against defensive minded head coaches.

Won't bother to look it up but I bet you'd see a ton of the same wobbly, off target, questionable throws we see today in the Clemson game he played in that same year.

Play calling definitely doesnt help but he is simply not good enough to even be average against a decent defense,

He looked better in that game then he did last year and this year as far as wobbly and off target throws. He did end up getting rashawn scott injured by throwing the ball to rashawn with the safety bearing down on his blind side, but those sort of bad throws are expected from someone playing their first game against real competition. As far as accuracy and wobbliness of the ball he has regressed immensely.

Advertisement
For me, the irony to all the Rosier rumblings is that Richt flat out told Rosier he'd never start for him. Whether due to attrition, Rosier improving (such as it is), or not having better options @ QB, Rosier starts last year and is apparently the best option now.

Honestly that is just poor recruiting. If Rosier is your best option in year 3 that is terrible recruiting/development of talent. Rosier wouldn't start on any other P5 team in the country.

Was thinking about this the other day.

Don’t ignore that line tho. Take look at the line in Golden’s last year compared to Rechts first year..... it regressed. Searels needs to go too.

2 out of 3 sides of the ball have slid significantly since Recht arrived.

Agree 100% special teams has become the worst they have been since the 70s. I agree that the OL has regressed massively, but I was just talking about Rosiers throwing ability in this thread. Even when he has time in the pocket this year and last year his ability to throw the ball is not as good as it was in 2015 which really tells us all we need to know about junior. .

So I couldn't sleep last night and ended up watching the 2015 Duke game with Malik as QB. I couldn't believe what I saw. He looked considerably better in that game compared to what we saw last year and his few games this year. For starters he logged his highest completion percentage against a P5 opponent in that game. In addition take a look at his highlights from that game. I challenge anyone to find me tape of him throwing better passes than these. He is hitting his runners in stride. He is making accurate throws. He just looks like a much more polished QB than he did last year and this year. If you watch the entire game you will see even more good solid throws throughout the game. Before people start going off about this is how he would look with a good line. Even when he is going against FCS opponents and G5 teams and has plenty of time in the pocket he still doesn't make throws like this anymore. Regardless this was 3 years ago. He should be lightyears better at this point and instead he is significantly worse. He seriously regressed under junior and it is very worrisome.

One advantage that backup QB’s have is that teams don’t have film to prepare for, the jury is out now and teams know how to shut him down and he hasn’t evolved his game to compensate for that. I don’t think that was by choice, I just think he’s limited as QB in a “pro style” system. Like I’ve said all along it’s not his fault that we haven’t found/developed a better QB than him.

Agree 100% special teams has become the worst they have been since the 70s. I agree that the OL has regressed massively, but I was just talking about Rosiers throwing ability in this thread. Even when he has time in the pocket this year and last year his ability to throw the ball is not as good as it was in 2015 which really tells us all we need to know about junior. .
Yes I agree, that was the best we’ve seen rosier play.

Advertisement
One advantage that backup QB’s have is that teams don’t have film to prepare for, the jury is out now and teams know how to shut him down and he hasn’t evolved his game to compensate for that. I don’t think that was by choice, I just think he’s limited as QB in a “pro style” system. Like I’ve said all along it’s not his fault that we haven’t found/developed a better QB than him.

Agreed for sure. That is why the wheels have fallen off since Pitt developed the blue print, but that doesn't explain why he is throwing better balls against a decent duke team than he did against Savannah State and FIU.

Agreed for sure. That is why the wheels have fallen off since Pitt developed the blue print, but that doesn't explain why he is throwing better balls against a decent duke team than he did against Savannah State and FIU.[/QUOTE

IMO it does explain it, football (especially QB) is just as much mental as it anything else and he has lost his confidence and hasn’t been able to get it back. I don’t think he will either, not sure we have an answer for this season or next, need to recruit Jalen or hope Jarren develops at a much faster rate than the other 2 young guys.

Advertisement
Back