Does no-one think the D adjusted in the 2nd Half?

caneaddict

Senior
it was basically 42-7 if you take out Malik's pick..

The first half was full of miscommunications with corners and safeties playing 2 different coverages

Advertisement
it was basically 42-7 if you take out Malik's pick..

The first half was full of miscommunications with corners and safeties playing 2 different coverages

Score never was the issue. The issue was giving up way too many 3rd downs to a team of this caliber. Even Toledo knows they never win this game. The issue is if we can't get off the field on 3rd down against Toledo, how do we do it against ACC opponents. Yes we played better in second half. But you still saw same issues on 3rd down and we got bailed out by a bunch of drops.

Toledo had drops from wide open receivers plus they are incredibly sloppy with penalties.
I think our defense played better but the issues remain.

Advertisement
No real adjustments. Alignment was still strange with the slot receiver not being covered. We had less breakdowns in the second half. They hit 2 big plays in the first half because our CB thought he was playing zone when he should have been in man coverage.

The real adjustments should have been to get Dee Delany off the field, run more nickel coverage instead playing with 3 backers all game long and actually covering the slot. Also even when our DBs played press coverage they don't jam the receiver which makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
No real adjustments. Alignment was still strange with the slot receiver not being covered. We had less breakdowns in the second half. They hit 2 big plays in the first half because our CB thought he was playing zone when he should have been in man coverage.

The real adjustments should have been to get Dee Delany off the field, run more nickel coverage instead playing with 3 backers all game long and actually covering the slot. Also even when our DBs played press coverage they don't jam the receiver which makes no sense at all.

These were my thoughts exactly. We pressed but the whole point of pressing is to be physical. Jam a guy, throw him off his route even for a second. That second is the difference between a sack and completion.

The slot receiver being left uncovered all game was mind boggling. They were happy to hit him. They didn’t go over the top much. I saw one play were the guy ran to his spot caught the ball and stayed there hurled up waiting to be brought down. We were giving them that and they were happy taking it. We can’t give teams anything anymore. Get a man on each one of their guys, jam him and make him work for everything. It was infuriating watching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did any of y'all watch the game ? We didn't stop them the entire day. They consistently drove the ball.

The few stops we had was off of freaking wide open drops. The only real adjustment was moving the CB within the area area code of the wr.

I know some of you don't want to accept what you saw , and it's a bummer we can't stop the pass, but that a what's going on. The pass d will have issues all year against decent pass teams.

The only hope is Diaz changes some things schematically, a couple cb's have a little light go off , and the entire d runs man or zone at the same time. Rather than a few guys in zone and a couple in man.

If this doesn't happen, I'd advise you just to accept what we're defensively , rather than being in denial.

Btw, the op must of been doing acid to come to that conclusion of what happened.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Diaz played a scheme almost identical to No D. Soft zone, dropping DEs into zone coverage.

No D deservedly was trashed for it, and Diaz should be too. Some fans care more about the coach than the team.

Some posters need to relax with promoting the d-coordinator and players. 1 year is not enough to move on to the next level, whatever that is.

My eyes don't lie, everyone needs to focus and get better, and everyone needs to come back next year... The whole defense looks like it's struggling!!

All is not well. Diaz needs to get comfortable with the nickel and find out the best personnel groupings on the back end. I said in another post Bandy needs to be on the field at all times. He's the goods. Storm'18 gonna be Starters'18 when they get to campus.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Did any of y'all watch the game ? We didn't stop them the entire day. They consistently drove the ball.

The few stops we had was off of freaking wide open drops. The only real adjustment was moving the CB within the area area code of the wr.

Yup. People need to go rewatch the third quarter. There were still guys running free, but they just dropped the ball. Momentum easily could have gotten out of hand if they make those catches. Luckily our offense turned it on.

I'm really glad we pulled out the win, but the last two performances do not bode well for when we actually start playing our ACC schedule. Toledo was really sloppy with the penalties and drops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not so sure I agree with the OP. On the surface and based on the score it does appear we made adjustments....but I challenge anyone who feels this way to go back and actually WATCH the second half again. Don't watch the highlights, watch the entire second half.

They dropped a TON of open passes and had some stupid penalties. In short...the D got bailed out ALOT in the second half and Toledo's receivers were still running free through our secondary.

Our secondary is a huge issue. Period. Some of you need to stop looking at **** only on the surface level and actually dig a little deeper into the facts.

Advertisement
Some posters need to relax with promoting the d-coordinator and players. 1 year is not enough to move on to the next level, whatever that is.

My eyes don't lie, everyone needs to focus and get better, and everyone needs to come back next year... The whole defense looks like it's struggling!!

No way man, all of our players are early NFL draft entries and Diaz is coach in waiting when Richt moves on!

The only adjustment that was made that was noteworthy to me was McSCloud found his *** on the bench in the second half. Perry played virtually the whole half. Speaking of adjustments, we have played Bethune and Toledo, games that we should be able to just line up and play good sound fundamental football and dominate. We should dominate playing all our base packages, They are roster games. Diaz shouldn't have to be making adjustments, I'm sure he is pretty **** frustrated with what his defense has put on film. These first 2 games have been a disaster for him and every defensive player, getting outworked and out executed by Bethune and Toledo. Get the **** off the field on third down, good lord

Advertisement
Back