Does anyone recall this...........

MelBeachCane

Recruit
When Jimmy Johnson was recruiting a prospect that was heavily recruited by the "elites" of that day. He was known to say to that recruit something along the lines of, "You can play for us or you can lose to us."

I think we are steadily approaching those heady days again, with the fire and passion that drives Coach Golden.

:stormwarning:

Last edited:
Advertisement
When Jimmy Johnson was recruiting a prospect that was heavily recruited by the 'elites" of that day. He was known to say to that recruit something along the lines of, "You can play for us or you can lose to us."

I think we a steadily approaching those heady days again, with the fire and passion that drives Coach Golden.

nice line and all...but after seeing Patrick Pet. (Johnson) say that and then hold the up the U (in front of, IIRC, N. Bradham) & then go kill it at l$u...it's lost a little luster. It'd be to see Gold make good use of it again.

Last edited:
It was a great line, but we are far from being able to use it at Miami right now

Please note my use of the word "steadily". We all now it's a long grueling road back to the top of the mountain. But for the first time in the better part of a decade, I believe we'll have the horses to get us there. We are no longer a rudderless ship, and that's were it all begins again.

Advertisement
Randy's dumbest move ever... With Patrick and Brandon we couldve really had a good defense..

When Jimmy Johnson was recruiting a prospect that was heavily recruited by the "elites" of that day. He was known to say to that recruit something along the lines of, "You can play for us or you can lose to us."

I think we are steadily approaching those heady days again, with the fire and passion that drives Coach Golden.

Yeah the whole staff used to say stuff like that. "We want you, but we don't need you." I used to hear stories of stuff like that when I was at UM.

It resonated with kids then. I think you need to bond a little tighter and develop the relationship these days. The standoffishness way doesn't seem like a good plan with kids these days.

Yeah the whole staff used to say stuff like that. "We want you, but we don't need you." I used to hear stories of stuff like that when I was at UM.

It resonated with kids then. I think you need to bond a little tighter and develop the relationship these days. The standoffishness way doesn't seem like a good plan with kids these days.

Its not.

Simply because, in college football, you don't see the dominance like you once did, nor is CFB as small a world as it once was. A top kid has his pick of the litter and if "you don't need them" someone else will. Recruiting is more national now than ever before.

Advertisement

It's a product of the culture. People at almost every level of American society are getting more spoiled and entitled.

I think that Golden has done a good job of bringing in guys with confidence and character. Guys who have the mental ability to get themselves fired up but not to the point of excessive egotism. Every time Golden speaks I'm reminded of how lucky UM is to have him. Of course, the on-field results will speak volumes about what kind of a football coach the man is for this level of competition, but from where he, his staff, and the players are at this point in time, I couldn't be happier.

I'd prefer if Golden said "Either play for us or prepare thy **** immediately".

I thought it was "You can play for the Hurricanes, or you can get beat by the Hurricanes."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back