Does anyone else think "Schiano was no. 2" is BS??

Crimpy

Big Time Outsider
for the record, I am extremely excited about the Richt hire, even though Butch was my first choice. That being said, does anyone else think this info about Schiano being the no. 2 guy was purposefully put out there to try and quell any possible backlash from the public? A lot of people wanted Butch in a bad way, and it's a lot easier for them to accept Richt knowing Schiano was next man up rather than Butch.

It just feels like we are being played. And seeing a lot of the comments here and other places (i.e. "I'm not crazy about Richt, but Schiano would've been a disaster"), it appears that it is having the desired effect.

Advertisement
I don't know about Schiano being No.2. I wanted Butch as well but I have come to love the Richt hire the more I think about it. I don't think it will take long for everyone to be on board supporting Coach Richt 100%. If Schiano truly was No.2 then it is very likely that we were going to get him until UGA miraculously fired Richt and saved us from the chimp.

Where has it been written/stated that Schiano was the #2 choice? Don't get me wrong, it would not surprise me at all given the cluster f*ck that was this coaching search until Richt fell into our laps, but I'm just curious to know if it has been reported by a reputable source, or is it just speculation?

proxy.php

Advertisement
Not really. He may have had a good interview and make some people on the BOT rethink there stance with him. A lot of people close to him truly believe that he has calmed down a lot and become more of a people person after his time off. That might of made some at Miami think of him as head coach material. I would like to see him be a head coach but not the way he is doing it, take the Mike Leach approach, work your way back up as a proven name for a small school.

If Butch was not second to Mark, then Blake is indeed a complete idiot and STILL needs to be fired. I prefer Butch to Mark, but Mark is the only one on the list anyone with a brain could pick over Butch.

Advertisement
for the record, I am extremely excited about the Richt hire, even though Butch was my first choice. That being said, does anyone else think this info about Schiano being the no. 2 guy was purposefully put out there to try and quell any possible backlash from the public? A lot of people wanted Butch in a bad way, and it's a lot easier for them to accept Richt knowing Schiano was next man up rather than Butch.

It just feels like we are being played. And seeing a lot of the comments here and other places (i.e. "I'm not crazy about Richt, but Schiano would've been a disaster"), it appears that it is having the desired effect.

WHO CARES!!!!!! We have a coach. Let it go

Advertisement

Most of us are excited that we ultimately ended up with Richt but it would still be interesting to know who the coach would have been had Richt not been fired from UGA. In particular, it would have been pretty significant if they were actually planning on hiring Butch given the history. Conversely, it would have been very disconcerting if Schiano was their top choice before Richt entered the picture.

Advertisement

Let what go? Did you read my post? I'm psyched about Richt. The point of my post was whether such a poor candidate like Schiano was really our #2 (which would be troubling), or whether it was just floated out there to make those who didn't want Richt and can't let it go, feel like they dodged a bullet.

If you want to suck Blake's dyck for basically hiring Schiano after a national search, until Richt miraculous fell into his lap, go ahead.

I can confirm through very reliable Non U source that Schaino was to be hired if not for the availability of Richt. No doubt about it

Advertisement
Back