Discussion: Post game thoughts

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
Calmed down a bit from last night as I was ****ed at our game plan and our lack of skill outside.

Defensive Thoughts:

- Everything Clemson does is to get a matchup. They are really good at isolating something and attacking and yesterday was our backers. Everything yesterday was getting their athletes 1 v. 1 with our backers and we failed to adjust. What’s the point of having “strikers” if we don’t take an athletic philosophy to our standard LBs. It’s not an advantage if teams can isolate our in line backers and essentially do whatever they want.

- I said before that every time they bring motion it’s to get into a matchup or to see what we’re in. We did a horrible job with our disguises and in the first half it looked like they learned nothing from the 2017 tape.

- Clemson loves the middle of the field. They revel in owning that space. You need to play different variations of shallow cover 2 to defend them. Bring pressure if you want but YOU have to own the middle of the field. As soon as we switched to playing shallow cover 2 in the 2 half it slowed them, we started forcing punts, and forced Trevor to throw lower percentage passes. We can’t play Man with their athletes unless the CBs name is Al Blades.

All in all. We blocked 3 kicks, we got to Trevor, and we even force a turnover but our **** philosophy and recruiting when it comes to LBs and CBs. The 2 positions that have been neglected the most killed us.

Offensive Thoughts:

Where do I start?

- Just like I was screaming for shallow cover 2 I was screaming for them to stop using Cam. He’s going to play in the NFL but he’s not fast. He wasn’t even fast in high school. Clemson isn’t athletic at backer just like we aren’t but they’re coached really well which is why they looked faster. So what do you do? Put them in a position where coaching wouldn’t matter with Knighton and Chaney instead of using a RB they could keep up with. Same could be said about our WRs. We took small, undersized WRs and told them beat long and lanky corners. Like C’mon...

- D’Eriq King lives in the middle of field and we did nothing to use the middle of the field. They were coming on 3rd down and we failed just to get the ball out to move the sticks. That’s how you beat a team like Clemson. Little victories like moving the sticks and throwing it where they aren’t. You’re not going to beat them with shot down the field or out athleting them but by scheming up first downs and finding ways to get the ball out quick.

- Justice has down a great job with this O-line. They did enough on a blocking standpoint to allow us to be competitive but Lashlee’s gameplay was absolute garbage. At least Baker saw what was broken and did his best to fix it. Lashlee didn’t.

- No more Dual threats. What I mean is no more run first QBs. The running aspect has expanded the O but D’Eriq couldn’t hit our WRs with any touch because that’s not who he is. We need to focus on finding legitimate QBs with athleticism instead of another QB like D’Eriq because we need to be a sideline to sideline O to beat Clemson. We can’t always live on dinking and dunking with the occasional 30 yard pass.

Conclusion: This is the end all to 2 weeks of game planning? Did they watch the UVA game? Did they watch the NC game last year? Did they watch the 2017 ACCCG game? This game screamed lack of an effective game plan all game. I’m still in disbelief about how unprepared we were. That is all. Discuss amongst yourselves and add to it.

Advertisement
I also would like to say the lack of TE usage with Will is dumbfounding as well.

Advertisement
Back