X's and O's Did you see what I saw? (Bethune game)

Rod Is Godly

Greentree All-American
(EDIT: Some of the GIFs only play once and some continue to replay, I couldn't figure out why they wont all replay but if you refresh the page they'll play again)

The width of a regulation football field is 53 yards wide. A good offensive coordinator not only takes advantage of stretching a defense vertically, by taking deep shots down the field, but he also forces the defense to guard sideline to sideline. Making sideline throws down the field can be difficult for some quarterbacks, it takes arm strength that some guys just simply dont have. Luckily, as Miami fans, we dont have that problem in our QB room. As I stated last week ( https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/did-you-see-what-i-saw.186658/post-6738555 ) sideline routes are EASY MONEY for our QB1. We saw this when TVD was excelling in 2021 with Charleston Rambo.

If you view Rambo’s highlights (start at 3:30 for when TVD took over at QB), NONE of them come in the middle middle of the field, they're all on the sidelines. TVD can throw the deep bomb over the middle, but the middle middle isnt where our money is made. This isnt a problem at all, the problem only appears when our OC doesn’t recognize this and fails to tailor our gameplan toward having TVD throw to his strength, the sideline. Thankfully, we have Coach Dawson, so we dont have that problem. Lets take a look at how Dawson cooked up for TVD this week.

1.gif

Play #1 of the game and I love love love love what Dawson calls up here. Its important early in the game to get your QB comfortable with the game, have him get an easy completion and warm his way into things. You can see by how quickly TVD does his drop and fires the ball out, hes comfortable with this play call. Why? Theres nothing to read, its pitch and catch with 1 receiver and 1 defender by that sideline. TVD doesn’t have to worry AT ALL about 10 other defenders, just has to deliver a catchable ball to Jacolby. A lot of people say “get the ball to your playmakers in space”, well this is the definition of that.

2.gif

Remember in the intro paragraph where I discussed forcing the defense to guard the entire WIDTH of the field, not only the length of it? Dawson has us come out in a bunch and then presnap motions Colby to the near sideline. We won this play at that moment. Just off of formation, we have stacked receivers (TE Mcormack in front of WR Restrepo), they have 1 defender in front of the 2 of them. This sent football anymore, its simple math. 2 beats 1. Restrepo does work here and give us good YAC, but that is why you get your playmakers in space and let them work.

2.5.gif

When TVD is confident, he’s a top QB in the nation. Period. He takes a shot here and absolutely shows why I say hes a top QB, Colby just doesn’t hang on (but im not the one about to get blasted by a safety, so im not gonna get on CY too much for that drop). I highlight this play though because of Restrepo, watch his route to the bottom sideline. I know I freeze it after the ball is released, but where I freeze it you can see Restrepo is wide open on that sideline. Remember that.

3.gif

Again, TVD is confident and takes a shot. Restrepo does a great job of helping him out and making a heck of a catch. I point this play out because of the space George has on his route at the top sideline. Similarly to the last play, Dawson is getting guys open toward the sideline, where TVD thrives. Regardless of if TVD goes there with the ball or not, the safety option is there. Just remember this play and the last.

4.gif

Every time I rewatch a Canes game, I look for the plays that could’ve been. BCU does a good job upfront getting pressure with their front 4, but watch Brashard Smith from the bottom slot position. If they didnt end up getting pressure on TVD, Brashard is running full speed at a safety who is looking into the backfield… The hand was up!

5.gif

I wont even give too much analysis here. We won this play off of pre-snap alignment and utilizing all 53 yards of field width. 2 receivers to the sideline and you have 1 defender? We’re gonna throw it and block that 1 guy. We arent playing football, we’re doing math.

6.gif

I kept saying remember that each route combination had a guy wide open on the sideline? Well TVD finally takes advantage here. It could be said “but the defender slipped”, and thats true but he slipped because he was so used to guarding that deep route and leaving the sideline route, so when we finally take the easy $ sideline route, he had to stop running full speed and change direction. Spun him like a top.

Run 1.gif

Cant post without showing some love to the running game. On the run we pull our TE and RG, pretty good blocking up front, Parrish actually slips when he goes to cut upfield and gets caught from behind but if you look at the blocking in front of him, that could been a BIG play.

Run 2.gif

Then, once the defense is used to you only pulling the TE to block, you send him on a route to the flats? Beautiful setup.

I love how Dawson not only has successful plays, but uses them to build on and expand the offense. He does a GREAT job at making the defense work, think and attempt to guard multiple things at once. Fellas, enjoy this, what we have on offense right now can end up being very special. What yall boys think?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great stuff. It became pretty evident that this was a massive mismatch and had Miami had the willingness they could have hung 70 on them with not much effort.
It wouldn't shock me to see a similar score this week, primarily due to extended PT for the one's.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back