Diaz talks recruiting, Blades news following Wed. drills

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
As the Miami Hurricanes prepare for the #17 North Carolina Tar Heels, head coach Manny Diaz is also working to put the finishing touches on UM’s 2021 recruiting class with the early signing period starting next week.

"From an accounting standpoint, we can only sign 24,” Diaz said. “We could sign 24, it simply depends on some last-minute decision-making. I’d say there’s a fair chance it happens. We’ll see.”

Earlier today, CB Al Blades announced he will miss the rest of the season due to heart complications from COVID-19, although he is expected to make a full recovery to play his senior season at UM in 2021.

“We’re just trying to support Al, you feel for him because of how much it means for him to be a Miami Hurricane, to be with our team,” Diaz said. “This is why people put the checks in place. It’s another reminder of the severity of coronavirus. Now we’re doing everything we can to support him, try to have him be part of our team even though he’s not going to be able to play these last few games.

“The stories are all so different in how it affects people, the symptoms. And the symptoms don’t even relate to the outcome Al had. There’s such a randomness to how it affects people. You feel awful for him, but the only thing that is encouraging from what medical people say is he should expect to make a full recovery and get back and finish a great career with Miami.”

With Blades out, freshmen corners Isaiah Dunson and Marcus Clarke will be seeing more snaps, and the two played well last weekend vs. Duke.

“It’s time for them to step up,” Diaz said. “I think of Trajan Bandy the November of his freshman year, even Al Blades his freshman year against LSU at nickel. It’s what you prepare these guys for. Dunson played nickel this past game. It was really important to see Marcus Clarke get in there not just on defense, but special teams and make plays in space. Marcus’ ball skills might be the best in our secondary. We’ll need those guys, especially with the challenge this weekend.

“We have all kinds of contingencies (at corner). We’ve already made those plans, guys that can fill in if needed.”

In a 2020 season filled with plenty of uncertainty from week-to-week, the ACC has ended up playing the most games of any conference and Diaz was asked his opinion on why that was.

"I think so much of the credit for the entire league and what they’ve done - I really think our president, Julio Frenk in that room with the other university presidents, his expertise and background gave other university presidents confidence that we could do this going forward and start as close to on time as really the first major Power 5 league to get rolling.”

Advertisement
In a 2020 season filled with plenty of uncertainty from week-to-week, the ACC has ended up playing the most games of any conference and Diaz was asked his opinion on why that was.

Hey you know what would have been really neat with all those games played? To stick with divisions like every other P5 conference did.

Advertisement
Notre Dame should've been in the Coastal this year. Not saying we'd smacked them but least we'd had the opportunity to settle it on the field. Water under a bridge at this though.

#BeatUNC
I would have loved to play them too, but my point was that they should have been told to join the conference full-time in football, or go home and get their ******* shinebox. Swafford threw them a lifeline in exchange for some TV revenue, and now they have the opportunity win the conference and keep the ACC out of the CFP. If they manage to beat Clemson again it will be a huge embarrassment for the conference.

huge embarrassment for the conference

Would be utterly disastrous for the ACC's reputation if ND won. For the next 10 years everyone will remember that time that ND joined the conference for a year, beat the best team twice (no one will recall the missing players), and won the conference title. There is zero chance that the ACC would ever get the benefit of the doubt for getting two teams into the playoffs; and if the 4th spot ever comes down to ND vs the ACC champ, the committee will choose ND. I hope that Blake Judas finds a good use for the 30 pieces of silver he must have received for ******** his own program and the conference.

As the Miami Hurricanes prepare for the #17 North Carolina Tar Heels, head coach Manny Diaz is also working to put the finishing touches on UM’s 2021 recruiting class with the early signing period starting next week.

"From an accounting standpoint, we can only sign 24,” Diaz said. “We could sign 24, it simply depends on some last-minute decision-making. I’d say there’s a fair chance it happens. We’ll see.”

Earlier today, CB Al Blades announced he will miss the rest of the season due to heart complications from COVID-19, although he is expected to make a full recovery to play his senior season at UM in 2021.

“We’re just trying to support Al, you feel for him because of how much it means for him to be a Miami Hurricane, to be with our team,” Diaz said. “This is why people put the checks in place. It’s another reminder of the severity of coronavirus. Now we’re doing everything we can to support him, try to have him be part of our team even though he’s not going to be able to play these last few games.

“The stories are all so different in how it affects people, the symptoms. And the symptoms don’t even relate to the outcome Al had. There’s such a randomness to how it affects people. You feel awful for him, but the only thing that is encouraging from what medical people say is he should expect to make a full recovery and get back and finish a great career with Miami.”

With Blades out, freshmen corners Isaiah Dunson and Marcus Clarke will be seeing more snaps, and the two played well last weekend vs. Duke.

“It’s time for them to step up,” Diaz said. “I think of Trajan Bandy the November of his freshman year, even Al Blades his freshman year against LSU at nickel. It’s what you prepare these guys for. Dunson played nickel this past game. It was really important to see Marcus Clarke get in there not just on defense, but special teams and make plays in space. Marcus’ ball skills might be the best in our secondary. We’ll need those guys, especially with the challenge this weekend.

“We have all kinds of contingencies (at corner). We’ve already made those plans, guys that can fill in if needed.”

"I think so much of the credit for the entire league and what they’ve done - I really think our president, Julio Frenk in that room with the other university presidents, his expertise and background gave other university presidents confidence that we could do this going forward and start as close to on time as really the first major Power 5 league to get rolling.”

We have a head coach. He will get better each year. I see this team doing some major things going forward. You have to want to win you have to want to get better and watching this years teams attitude versus last year you can tell Diaz is building a team.

Advertisement

Nice report, but what about the recruiting?

Am I reading that right? Is the suggestion that Blades got myocarditis due to Covid? If that's the case that's a really big deal.

myocarditis can result from other types of viral/bacterial infections too. Not really that uncommon. You could get it from having mono. Athletes have to be really careful when they get sick because of the stress they put on their cardiovascular system that can lead to serious damage if they continue strenuous activities . Sucks either way...but COVID is becoming like the Bogeyman. Looks like he will be fine and is getting monitored properly by medical staff.

Am I reading that right? Is the suggestion that Blades got myocarditis due to Covid? If that's the case that's a really big deal.

Yes, you're reading it right. It appears to impact a low but not insignificant percentage of young Covid patients with no predictability. You can't overwork the heart for a long time, but are almost certain to recover with care. A lot of people, including the players, believe the risks to be worth it.
I think I'd let my kid play, given the odds. Sucks for Blades though. At least it puts to rest all those BS rumors about his effort and commitment to the team. It also means he'll 100% be back next season, which is a good thing.

My bigger concern is for Stroud. Any update on his recovery?

Advertisement
Advertisement
We can’t even smack NC State. Come back down to earth.
You go back under your depressing rock......I clearly said "NOT SAYING WE WOULD'VE SMACKED ND", which would indicate that we might not even win the game much less SMACK them. CIS isn't for the depressed bud...go have a Snickers

You go back under your depressing rock......I clearly said "NOT SAYING WE WOULD'VE SMACKED ND", which would indicate that we might not even win the game much less SMACK them. CIS isn't for the depressed bud...go have a Snickers
You come any closer to a more realistic assessment of this team yet?

Advertisement
Back