Diaz praises team resolve following NC State comeback, looks to improve on D heading into VT

View as article
The Defensive side of the ball needs a hard *** disciplinarian coach that will hold the Defense accountable.

It would be great if it was the HC or the DC, but neither one of them seem to have it in them to command respect from the players or enforce fear of consequences.

Most of the Defensive players know regardless of how bad they play, how many mental errors they make or how undisciplined they are, they are guaranteed playing time & won't so much as even get yelled at in the slightest if they fck up.

I've never once seen Baker, Patke or Rumph ever yell at a player for anything at all, like not even raise their voice a few decibels. It just seems we have a Defensive staff full of dudes who do not demand excellence & are perfectly okay with mediocre effort from their units.

The Defensive staff needs some fire, they need a coach who makes them uncomfortable & pushes them to compete relentlessly, right now the players run the Defense & they show up & play when they feel like it.
Starts with the head coach. Ever see Manny laying into anyone? Heck he even fired the oline coach because he was too mean to the kids.

The message has been sent to the assistants that this is not the type of coaching the boss likes. They are protecting their paycheck.

If Rumph were fired in the off season would he be picked up by any of the usual suspects ($EC)?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Defensive side of the ball needs a hard *** disciplinarian coach that will hold the Defense accountable.

It would be great if it was the HC or the DC, but neither one of them seem to have it in them to command respect from the players or enforce fear of consequences.

Most of the Defensive players know regardless of how bad they play, how many mental errors they make or how undisciplined they are, they are guaranteed playing time & won't so much as even get yelled at in the slightest if they fck up.

I've never once seen Baker, Patke or Rumph ever yell at a player for anything at all, like not even raise their voice a few decibels. It just seems we have a Defensive staff full of dudes who do not demand excellence & are perfectly okay with mediocre effort from their units.

The Defensive staff needs some fire, they need a coach who makes them uncomfortable & pushes them to compete relentlessly, right now the players run the Defense & they show up & play when they feel like it.

They are awful. The defensive staff is garbage - and it starts with Manny. Dude is now quoting raggedy *** conference stats. He’s such a fugging loser. He refuses to hold his cronies accountable.

And I’m disappointed in Ed.

I wasn't going to say it but since you brought it up first.

Anytime the coach starts throwing out starts like that you know there are problems. As if fourth in the ACC in any stat is some kind of accomplishment. It only means there are at least two other awful teams doing it better.
The stat guys are all over this place too. When guys start snatching stats, you know they're blind dopes incapable of discussing what their eyes see. We'll see an awful performance and comment on it, and then the stat guys come in with all this stupid **** to try to convince us we didn't see what we just saw.

The stat guys are all over this place too. When guys start snatching stats, you know they're blind dopes incapable of discussing what their eyes see. We'll see an awful performance and comment on it, and then the stat guys come in with all this stupid **** to try to convince us we didn't see what we just saw.

defensive "metrics" are for coaches to properly use hard data to understand their team and its performance

defensive "statistics" are for coaches looking to deflect eyes (yours, theirs, and others), from what can be plainly seen.

there's a difference.

Advertisement
defensive "metrics" are for coaches to properly use hard data to understand their team and its performance

defensive "statistics" are for coaches looking to deflect eyes (yours, theirs, and others), from what can be plainly seen.

there's a difference.
Yep. There are some useful numbers to analyze. But when coaches and fans use cherrypicked stats to attempt to convince us that what we saw wasn't we saw, then they're turds.

There are guys on here who do that **** all the time. Some dude is trying to convince me the Louisville game this year was a blowout by quoting point differentials at times during the game but leaving out the closer point differentials at other points in the game. Just watch the fcking games and discuss what you see and quit trying to find stats to support something that's not really happening on the field.

Their was a 50/50 chance the resident moron was going to porst some whiny attempt to make himself look right. The coin landed on heads...

Kinda matches with my thoughts.

Rumph doesnt appear to be a person that people relate to. And if Diaz is able to turn this defense around just by playcalling, Baker needs to go to... Jeez.
Poor Rumph had 4 years to prove himself. Unfortunately he's run out of time...

Advertisement
We will know a lot if manny comes out the gate calling plays against VT. Not because of that alone, but because I wanna see how the players play under him. Never once did I not see our defense ready to run into a wall for manny, I think that alone is half the issue with baker.

Advertisement
Back