Diaz is the Paul Johnson of D

fedupcane

Banned
Banned
False information
Against most squads, Paul Johnson’s option was good for 500 yards a game. It was annoying to prepare for, gimmicky, and against most teams very tough to stop bc of its uniqueness. Hard to prep for.

against good to great teams?—Tech couldn’t move the ball at all. They would play Duke one week and win by 6 TDS, look all world, only to score 7 points and 180 total against UGA. The disparity between wins and losses was huge.

Diaz defense is the same. The “run up the field” “no contain” “no set gaps” “spot drop zone” defense helps him rattle bad QBs and OLs, and creates preparation headaches for lesser programs. It confuses players and lesser programs can’t properly prep for it.

But if your team has talent on the OL, and a reliable if not above average QB, it all those defensive gimmicks become weaknesses that are exploited over and over.

The fools in our fan base who fall for it are JUST like the GaTech homers who thought that offense was great, and excused the losses away for a decade when they would get trashed in their 2 or three losses a season. They’d point to stats like TOP, or rush yards per game, and declare it was “talent”, “the lack of true WR”, or the defenses fault. Those of us on the outside know, it was that trash *** gimmick scheme.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man this is what I was tryna say but it took me paragraphs lol. THIS right here sums it up.
Nah it's a good analogy and one I hadn't considered. I like it because it highlights the comparative ceiling Manny's D give us, much like Paul Johnsons triple option bull****. Kept them competitive in the Coastal but they were never going to compete with the big dogs.

Advertisement
I agree but I will say, the defense never looked this bad when Manny was running it

Blake Baker has no feel for how to call plays or get our guys motivated

I agree but I will say, the defense never looked this bad when Manny was running it

Blake Baker has no feel for how to call plays or get our guys motivated

Sure it did. ACCG vs Clemson was as bad as I’ve ever seen a defense start a game. Three straight TD drives to open the game. Wisconsin later that year, almost the exactly the same. In fact I don’t think outside of ONE game (an overrated ND team starting a freshman QB in the rock) he has successfully stopped any ranked teams. This goes back to his days at MSU and UT. It’s a pattern that you just can’t ignore as a fundamental aspect of this defense.

Advertisement
Sure it did. ACCG vs Clemson was as bad as I’ve ever seen a defense start a game. Three straight TD drives to open the game. Wisconsin later that year, almost the exactly the same. In fact I don’t think outside of ONE game (an overrated ND team starting a freshman QB in the rock) he has successfully stopped any ranked teams. This goes back to his days at MSU and UT. It’s a pattern that you just can’t ignore as a fundamental aspect of this defense.

I think in 2016 we kept a high powered North Carolina offense led by Trubinsky to under 20 points as well. But yeah Manny had some bad games too for sure

I think in 2016 we kept a high powered North Carolina offense led by Trubinsky to under 20 points as well. But yeah Manny had some bad games too for sure

Have you heard of the term anecdote? We played LSU and gave up 33. We played Wisky twice and got waxed (34 and 35 points). Got massively embarrassed by Clemson both times. VT curb stomped us in 2016 (37 points). In 2016 a 4-8 ND squad dropped 30 on us.

He got revenge on ND and VT, and had a great bowl game vs WVU.

But when you throw in today’s game, his defense has been flat out bad against premier opponents his entire Canes career. He is feasted off of the pathetic schedule we play year in and year out.

FYI yes, he held the unranked 8-5 UNC team to 20 points in 2016. That’s what I’m talking about. Should I show you what Paul Johnson did to unranked ACC teams? And then versus premier teams?

Advertisement
Diaz defenses since he’s been here have AVERAGED 36 points a game against end of season top ten teams.

The idea that he is anything other than a bully to bad teams stat padder needs to be put to rest forever.

Years ago in a college football preseason mag an anonymous opposing coach called his defense a gimmick it's been proven true

Advertisement
Back