Diaz comments on Williams departure, corner depth moving forward

Advertisement
U know what’s crazy..this is deja vu. Y’all thinking ****** can’t do worse then 8..remember last year when the oline played like **** and some thought “hey how bad could the guys behind them be”..and then the Duke game happened lol..ppl have been say Williams had been getting beat in practice constantly..then the chart comes out and y’all act surprised he not starting. It can get worse guys. Btw I got Ivey gettin a pick or 2 this week 😂😂
I've thought similar. Watching Herbert and Hillary play last season was a revelation. My first thought after hearing about Williams' transfer was to get ****ed at Rumph. And believe me, I still think he's the worst recruiter in the P5, but the truth is it's impossible to know what really went down. Williams won't find a better cb depth chart to earn reps anywhere in P5, so crazy to pull out at this time and in this situation.

Advertisement
When you get 4 star guys from SEC country out of nowhere at the last minute it’s not because Rumph learned how to recruit it’s because they didn’t have committable alternatives. The warning bells should have been sounding last year when he couldn’t get on the field and the same goes for Dunson if he can’t get on the field this year.

Rumph did a pretty good job getting something out of Michael Jackson and he’s done a good job with Blades. But if you can’t get guys into the building it doesn’t really matter how good you are at developing them. Our corner recruiting has been abysmal and the depth chart shows that. This year looks like more of the same.

When you get 4 star guys from SEC country out of nowhere at the last minute it’s not because Rumph learned how to recruit it’s because they didn’t have committable alternatives. The warning bells should have been sounding last year when he couldn’t get on the field and the same goes for Dunson if he can’t get on the field this year.

Rumph did a pretty good job getting something out of Michael Jackson and he’s done a good job with Blades. But if you can’t get guys into the building it doesn’t really matter how good you are at developing them. Our corner recruiting has been abysmal and the depth chart shows that. This year looks like more of the same.
I said similar when we signed C.Williams. It seems we have very little chance to sign our targets and the guys Rumph works on for a long time. The guys who really get to know him and spend time with him opt for somewhere else. Our best bet has been kids we get on late - they like our history/brand and don't end up spending a lot of time with Rumph. That's telling.

Would I have liked Williams to stay and compete? Yes. But if he bolts after a single game and doesn't compete for the job he wasn't a team player. What is not to understand about that?
Agreed. While our CB recruiting has been lacking, this is on Williams and being an entitled whiner. Couch got a LOT more snaps than Williams did...because he earned them, and I'd bet that was more William's issue than the fact that Ivey was doing poorly.

Williams didn't appear to play with much energy vs UAB on specials or defense. He's gone and it's not a big deal because there's still 13 scholarship DBs (not including Avantae). These are athletes who have all been asked to cover at some point so next man up. And for all the talk of having just 5 CBs, that's been about the average since 2016.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This right here is probably the best post in this entire thread.

Meanwhile, the moron *** kissing Rumph apologists on this board were very quick to start with the "where are all the Rumph can't recruit" guys once he managed to sign Williams.

Rumph is quite possible one of the worst college recruiters employed anywhere, in the last 10 seasons of college football. If he wasn't alumni he wouldn't be employed here....period.

“We know what we’re doing defending the pass just go look at the numbers since 2016.”

Manny sounds like he’s clapping back at the message board. What a joke. Stats don’t win you games just go look at our record since 2016.
Which is the fault of the pass defense?

LOL yall decided since Knowles was gone you needed to attack a new kid I guess. Ivey is it . What is funny is Ivey will be playing on Sundays while the internet bullies are still behind the keyboards. Classic Sports fan thread right here.

maybe sundays in canada. ivey is not a nfl prospect, at least not at this moment. he has garbage hip movement and can't locate the ball. i hope he gets better and proves everyone wrong, but he is more of a warm body that isn't as bad as the next guy right now.

Advertisement
LOL yall decided since Knowles was gone you needed to attack a new kid I guess. Ivey is it . What is funny is Ivey will be playing on Sundays while the internet bullies are still behind the keyboards. Classic Sports fan thread right here.
what are you basing that on? I haven't 100% given up on Ivey, the kid has all the physical ability, but thus far he hasn't shown the football knowledge, the awareness, the drive to be a good CB. I seriously hope he pulls it together, but he's been his own worst enemy so far.

DJ Iveys ceiling is NFL practice squad and that is about as likely as him hitting for $100,000 on a scratch off at a gas station.

Which is the fault of the pass defense?

Can’t point one out specifically. But do your eyes see a pass defense worthy of saying yeah we know what we’re doing there? I get the numbers look nice but when we play decent qbs they look amazing and are productive vs this pass defense.

Advertisement

Agree, anybody actually believes he dropped Alabama, or pick us over LSU on his own is dreaming.

Would I have liked Williams to stay and compete? Yes. But if he bolts after a single game and doesn't compete for the job he wasn't a team player. What is not to understand about that?
Finally a post with common sense, to many clown posters in here crying over a guy that made one play of note, never heard of him do.inating practice. People whining for the back-ups now, lol!

Advertisement
Back