Diaz, Baker and Zone

This seems very relevant now
The writing is on the wall. Tyrique Stevenson is a big corner with solid movement skills who wins at the line of scrimmage but struggles with ball awareness and breaking on throws. You don't bring him in with Blades and Couch and run a bunch of spot drop zone. I think Manny is positioning the defense - with TRob and taking back the playcalling - to return to a lot of man and man pressure. Baker and Ivey are the losers in this scenario.

Advertisement
The writing is on the wall. Tyrique Stevenson is a big corner with solid movement skills who wins at the line of scrimmage but struggles with ball awareness and breaking on throws. You don't bring him in with Blades and Couch and run a bunch of spot drop zone. I think Manny is positioning the defense - with TRob and taking back the playcalling - to return to a lot of man and man pressure. Baker and Ivey are the losers in this scenario.
All of this would seem very positive, correct? I don't remember if it was you who said it, but Jess teaching gap integrity helps the LB play as well?

All of this would seem very positive, correct? I don't remember if it was you who said it, but Jess teaching gap integrity helps the LB play as well?
I'm a big fan of Simpson and was one of, if not the first to proclaim him an upgrade over Kuligowski. I think it's a reach to expect him to fix the LBs though. Miami needs to play the right guys and if the right guys aren't prepared then that falls on the LB coach (who just happens to be the target of this thread's complaint).

And so we're clear the LBs I liked as recruits and have flashed as Canes are: Huff, TAC, Flagg, Steed, Johnson, Troutman. So basically all the guys who have been buried for god knows what reason and 2 incoming freshmen.

For the sake of my beloved team I hope Manny got it right this time. If not he has no one to blame but himself for missing a great opportunity to upgrade the defense and remove ALL the dead weight.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back