Depth Chart / Retention Issues

TC7D

2000 Cane
Not sure if this has been shared here yet. Pretty good article from Manny. If it has been shared, Mods can delete.

Eye on the U | Miami Herald & MiamiHerald.com

Depth chart shows us Canes very reliant on two most recent signing classes
When UM released its depth chart Sunday night there were 55 players listed on offense (29) and defense (26).

While the Hurricanes have 80 scholarship players on the roster (79 if you don't count RB Gus Edwards who was lost for the season), the most coach Al Golden said he's had during his tenure, it's interesting to see who exactly is being counted on at least on paper to carry the bulk of the weight.

One way to look at it is by class: 11 seniors, 15 juniors, 14 sophomores, 14 freshmen.

I prefer to look at it a different way -- recruiting class: 2011 (3), 2012 (10), 2013 (12), 2014 (21) and 2015 (9).

A year ago at this time, after UM opened the season with an ugly loss at Louisville, I wrote a story on how player retention woes from Golden's first three recruiting classes were killing the Canes.

It still is.

Here's an update to some those recruiting stats I put out last year:

> Of the 71 players signed by Golden his first three years on the job, 11 finished their careers at UM (two were first round picks) and only 28 are still on the roster (16 are starters, 9 backups heading into 2015). Perhaps more frightening than that: nine of those 71 signees never got on the field (six never made it into school) and 23 have left the program (either dismissed or transferred). So only 39 of the 71 recruits in Golden's first three classes truly panned out.

Now, of the 55 players on UM's latest depth chart, only 25 are part of Golden's first three signing classes. That means the remaining 30 players are from his last two signing classes. So, he's relying more on his newest recruits than his older ones to deliver.

BREAKDOWN: CANES DEPTH CHART BY RECRUITING CLASS (55 players, 26 starters)

2011 (19 players signed, 8 finished their careers at UM, 3 are on the depth chart, 2 are starters): WR Rashawn Scott (starter); S Dallas Crawford (starter), LG Hunter Wells (backup)

2012 (33 players signed, 3 finished their careers at UM, 13 are still around, 10 are on the depth chart, 5 starters): RG Danny Isidora (starter), ILB Raphael Kirby (starter), CB Tracy Howard (starter), WR Herb Waters (starter), S Deon Bush (co-starter), WR Malcolm Lewis (backup), S Rayshawn Jenkins (backup) OLB Tyriq McCord (backup), TE Jake O'Donnell (backup)

2013 (19 players signed, 12 are still around, 9 are starters, 3 are backups): WR Stacy Coley (starter), LG Alex Gall (starter), RT Sunny Odogwu (starter), TE Standish Dobard (starter), DE Ufomba Kamalu (starter),ILB Jermaine Grace (starter), CB Artie Burns (starter), CB Corn Elder (starter), S Jamal Carter (co-starter), C Hunter Knighton (backup), RB Walter Tucker (backup), OLB Al-Quadin Muhammad (backup)

2014 (27 players signed, 26 are still around, 21 are on the depth chart, 9 are starters, 12 are backups): QB Brad Kaaya (starter), RB Joe Yearby (co-starter), LT Trevor Darling (starter), C Nick Linder (starter), H-Back Christopher Herndon (starter), NG Calvin Heurtelou (starter), DT Courtel Jenkins (starter), OLB Trent Harris (starter), OLB Darrion Owens (starter), QB Malik Rosier (backup), RB Trayone Gray (backup), WR Braxton Berrios (backup), LT Kc McDermott (backup), RG Joe Brown (backup), H-Back David Njoku (backup), DE Chad Thomas (backup), NG Michael Wyche (backup), DT Anthony Moten (backup), ILB Terry McCray (backup), ILB Marques Gayot (backup), OLB Demetrius Jackson (backup)

2015 (22 players signed, all are on the roster, 9 are on the depth chart, one is a starter): RB Mark Walton (co-starter), WR Lawrence Cager (backup), LG Tyler Gauthier (backup), RT Tyree St. Louis (backup), TE Jerome Washington (backup), DE RJ McIntosh (backup), NG Kendrick Norton (backup), CB Sheldrick Redwine (backup), S Jaquan Johnson (backup)

Advertisement
Nice effort and understand his point, but it's skewed because Manny is married to the opening depth chart. What would be more telling is guys in the rotation, playing time or expected to contribute. A number of guys listed as backups fit this description and figure to get serious PT - perhaps more than the listed starter.

2012 S Deon Bush (co-starter), WR Malcolm Lewis (backup), S Rayshawn Jenkins (backup) OLB Tyriq McCord (backup)

2013 S Jamal Carter (co-starter), RB Walter Tucker (backup), OLB Al-Quadin Muhammad (backup)

2014 WR Braxton Berrios (backup), LT Kc McDermott (backup), H-Back David Njoku (backup), DE Chad Thomas (backup)

2015 DE RJ McIntosh (backup), NG Kendrick Norton (backup)

I will say this, that 2014 recruiting class was darn solid. For all the attrition we have seen, that class has stayed almost entirely intact. Also, I know it's early, but SINCE the so called cloud, we've had one guy from the last two classes leave. That's a stark contrast to the previous years. Now, I am sure there will be more in time, but the attrition does seems to be slowing. That's a good thing for the next coach.

I will say this, that 2014 recruiting class was darn solid. For all the attrition we have seen, that class has stayed almost entirely intact. Also, I know it's early, but SINCE the so called cloud, we've had one guy from the last two classes leave. That's a stark contrast to the previous years. Now, I am sure there will be more in time, but the attrition does seems to be slowing. That's a good thing for the next coach.

The question is why? Could it be that there were so many holes from Al's previous attrition that 2014 got more starts and playing time than a normal freshmen class would? Also, when was the attrition from the other classes -- 1st year or later. Al's sales pitch has a time delay on it before it wears off. It lasted a good two years on me.

Mods, can we get the profanity filter updated? This offends me.

Advertisement
To be more in line with the recent pictures released by the team, I should say the class was as rock solid as an FSUs fans private parts after looking at our recent team photos... Better?

Mods, can we get the profanity filter updated? This offends me.

I thought this was the most interesting point of the whole article. It would be great to know the numbers for other schools.

"Of the 71 players signed by Golden his first three years on the job, 11 finished their careers at UM (two were first round picks) and only 28 are still on the roster (16 are starters, 9 backups heading into 2015). Perhaps more frightening than that: nine of those 71 signees never got on the field (six never made it into school) and 23 have left the program (either dismissed or transferred). So only 39 of the 71 recruits in Golden's first three classes truly panned out"

Not sure if this has been shared here yet. Pretty good article from Manny. If it has been shared, Mods can delete.

When UM released its depth chart Sunday night there were 55 players listed on offense (29) and defense (26).

While the Hurricanes have 80 scholarship players on the roster (79 if you don't count RB Gus Edwards who was lost for the season), the most coach Al Golden said he's had during his tenure, it's interesting to see who exactly is being counted on at least on paper to carry the bulk of the weight.

One way to look at it is by class: 11 seniors, 15 juniors, 14 sophomores, 14 freshmen.

I prefer to look at it a different way -- recruiting class: 2011 (3), 2012 (10), 2013 (12), 2014 (21) and 2015 (9).

A year ago at this time, after UM opened the season with an ugly loss at Louisville, I wrote a story on how player retention woes from Golden's first three recruiting classes were killing the Canes.

It still is.

> Of the 71 players signed by Golden his first three years on the job, 11 finished their careers at UM (two were first round picks) and only 28 are still on the roster (16 are starters, 9 backups heading into 2015). Perhaps more frightening than that: nine of those 71 signees never got on the field (six never made it into school) and 23 have left the program (either dismissed or transferred). So only 39 of the 71 recruits in Golden's first three classes truly panned out.

Now, of the 55 players on UM's latest depth chart, only 25 are part of Golden's first three signing classes. That means the remaining 30 players are from his last two signing classes. So, he's relying more on his newest recruits than his older ones to deliver.

2011 (19 players signed, 8 finished their careers at UM, 3 are on the depth chart, 2 are starters): WR Rashawn Scott (starter); S Dallas Crawford (starter), LG Hunter Wells (backup)

2012 (33 players signed, 3 finished their careers at UM, 13 are still around, 10 are on the depth chart, 5 starters): RG Danny Isidora (starter), ILB Raphael Kirby (starter), CB Tracy Howard (starter), WR Herb Waters (starter), S Deon Bush (co-starter), WR Malcolm Lewis (backup), S Rayshawn Jenkins (backup) OLB Tyriq McCord (backup), TE Jake O'Donnell (backup)

2013 (19 players signed, 12 are still around, 9 are starters, 3 are backups): WR Stacy Coley (starter), LG Alex Gall (starter), RT Sunny Odogwu (starter), TE Standish Dobard (starter), DE Ufomba Kamalu (starter),ILB Jermaine Grace (starter), CB Artie Burns (starter), CB Corn Elder (starter), S Jamal Carter (co-starter), C Hunter Knighton (backup), RB Walter Tucker (backup), OLB Al-Quadin Muhammad (backup)

2014 (27 players signed, 26 are still around, 21 are on the depth chart, 9 are starters, 12 are backups): QB Brad Kaaya (starter), RB Joe Yearby (co-starter), LT Trevor Darling (starter), C Nick Linder (starter), H-Back Christopher Herndon (starter), NG Calvin Heurtelou (starter), DT Courtel Jenkins (starter), OLB Trent Harris (starter), OLB Darrion Owens (starter), QB Malik Rosier (backup), RB Trayone Gray (backup), WR Braxton Berrios (backup), LT Kc McDermott (backup), RG Joe Brown (backup), H-Back David Njoku (backup), DE Chad Thomas (backup), NG Michael Wyche (backup), DT Anthony Moten (backup), ILB Terry McCray (backup), ILB Marques Gayot (backup), OLB Demetrius Jackson (backup)

2015 (22 players signed, all are on the roster, 9 are on the depth chart, one is a starter): RB Mark Walton (co-starter), WR Lawrence Cager (backup), LG Tyler Gauthier (backup), RT Tyree St. Louis (backup), TE Jerome Washington (backup), DE RJ McIntosh (backup), NG Kendrick Norton (backup), CB Sheldrick Redwine (backup), S Jaquan Johnson (backup)

According to Blake James, this is apart of the process and Al wants to win

these stats are mostly meaningless without being able to compare them to other programs and averages

Advertisement
This article only bolsters the effect the cloud had on recruiting. Not to mention the 2011 class really shouldn't even be counted. He had what 20 something days to recruit?

It still is.

What's more interesting is the quality of the players Golden and Staff were able to recruit from 2011 and 2012, when he couldn't even tell players if we would have a program to play in the following year, much less the ability to play in a bowl game or on television.
You guys forget and so does Navarro that Golden's first 2 recruiting classes consisted on die hard Canes, and then any live human who would sign a letter of intent.

There are 9 guys who will most likely be in an NFL training camp this time next year.

2013-2014 classes are loaded with talent, as is the still unseen players from 2015.

It still is.

What's more interesting is the quality of the players Golden and Staff were able to recruit from 2011 and 2012, when he couldn't even tell players if we would have a program to play in the following year, much less the ability to play in a bowl game or on television.
You guys forget and so does Navarro that Golden's first 2 recruiting classes consisted on die hard Canes, and then any live human who would sign a letter of intent.

There are 9 guys who will most likely be in an NFL training camp this time next year.

2013-2014 classes are loaded with talent, as is the still unseen players from 2015.

It's because South Florida people found out just like us what he really is and aren't pushing kids our way. Shannon's first class was elite being the fresh blood and the same way his classes dwindled.

Advertisement
Which makes one of Al's recurring themes (i.e excuses)--that he needed time to build depth in order to have the team he wants--ring completely hollow.

It still is.

It's because South Florida people found out just like us what he really is and aren't pushing kids our way. Shannon's first class was elite being the fresh blood and the same way his classes dwindled.

That doesn't make any sense. Golden's first two classes were very limited and the last 3 classes are the exact opposite.

Shannon had isolated us from the majority of high schools in South Florida. Golden has had to spend 4 years repairing the damage done by Shannon.

Which makes one of Al's recurring themes (i.e excuses)--that he needed time to build depth in order to have the team he wants--ring completely hollow.

Another article said that at this time last year we had something like 69-70 scholarship players healthy.
That's 17.6% less than 85 which means zero depth. It was that way since Golden took over.

This is the first year that we actually have a whole team, and we still aren't at 85 scholarship players. Something like 80.
We are finally, truly a 2-3 deep team at most positions, with quality depth, not just warm bodies.

Again, if the on field leadership, chemistry and most importantly the coordinators come together, this is a team that can do some great things.

Talent is finally there across the board and not just in spots.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back