Del Castillo Named ACC Player of the Week

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami’s Adrian Del Castillo received the first ACC Player of the Week award of the 2020 season, as announced Monday afternoon by the league office.

Del Castillo came through repeatedly during opening weekend with three game-winning hits in Miami’s sweep of visiting Rutgers. He batted .556 for the series with a double, two homers, three runs scored and six RBI.

On Friday night, Miami's reigning RBI leader delivered with a two-run single up the middle in the third inning of Miami's 2-1 victory. The sophomore catcher followed with a 3-for-4 performance with a pair of home runs and three RBI to lead a four-homer showing by the hometown Hurricanes in an 8-2 win in game 2 on Saturday. Del Castillo wrapped up the weekend with an RBI single in the first inning of Miami's 13-6 win to help secure the sweep over the Scarlet Knights.

A Preseason All-American, Del Castillo entered the 2020 as one of the top bats in the country after an impressive Freshman All-America campaign. The Miami native finished 2019 batting .331 with 78 hits, 22 doubles and 72 RBI, all team-bests. Del Castillo also scored 58 runs and clubbed 12 homers, while striking out just 24 times in 236 at-bats.

Del Castillo and the Hurricanes return to action Wednesday, Feb. 19, when Miami hosts Kent State in its first midweek matchup of the 2020 season.

Advertisement
Does anyone know what happened to him Sunday? He came out of the game early while he was on 3rd base as a base runner. No explanation was given as to why he exited the game.

I hope there was no injury.

Advertisement
Future UM HOFer. He will have one of the most productive careers in Miami history. He might not hit .400 with 20 homers, but what he means to the team and his clutch hitting will end up being up there with the greats Braun, Burrell, etc.

I believe this with everything in me. I am no over exaggerating one bit. This kid is the goods and the most important player on the team full stop.

Advertisement
Back