Defensive Philosophy

canestuckinpa

Recruit
The Al Golden defense requires strength up front, versatility and patience. The motto of this philosophy is to make the offense drive the field and hope for a mistake: a turnover, big penalty or miscommunication. This is best encapsulated by the maxim, “make them earn it”.

The South Florida defensive model is the speedy, undersized, savvy play-maker. He is built to attack, frustrate and intimidate. The motto of the South Florida athlete is to disrupt and never allow an inch. This is best encapsulated by the maxim, “hit them before they can hit us”.

When all the parts of either philosophy perform, they are a thing of beauty. When each philosophy doesn’t perform, the former leads to time-sucking drives with consistent gains and the latter to big plays.

Our defensive philosophy by itself isn’t bad, but it isn’t for us. Al has selected “what I want it to be”, not “what is”.

I hope he learns this before it’s too late.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
The philosophy is fine at Temple, when you can bank on the morons at Villanova to randomly fumble the ball and **** their pants, but it's not gonna cut it on the big stage vs real coaches.

I don't see much attacking in the high school games I attend. Lots of spread offenses and passive defenses. A few teams in the county overwhelm with talent level but I always get the feeling they are coasting.

Perryman at Coral Gables several years ago was easy to pick out as an exception. He was #2 and making plays in the backfield from early in his career. His final season the team overall was worse and Gables was using him all over the field in desperate situations, including sometimes to peel back and cover the opponent's best receiver.

I was mentioning Perryman on the free board at Rivals while he was still in high school. Nobody has jumped out at me since. The high rankings on defenders are cute but I keep thinking of all the times I saw the player backpedal and stay out of the way. Then they do the same thing with the Canes.

I realize it's a level above but the Seattle Seahawks have a philosophy. They don't care about rankings as much as self motivated attacking players. You can see it funnel throughout the roster, including punt return coverage where they are determined not to allow a single yard. There was an anecdote that Earl Thomas went back to study film in May on the same day they received their Super Bowl rings. I wish the Canes would pursue that type on both sides of the ball even if it meant detouring from the supposed super blue chippers. Berrios seems to fit that mold on offense. He's already noticeably better than early this season.

Advertisement
Bend Not Break is good for crowbars, but sucks on defense.

Football on a smaller scale is a form of tactical warfare - but with rules.

Every Master of Warfare has stressed the absolute necessity of having an attacking defense.

This guy is full of siht - and should have studied a bit more when he was still in short pants.

If you sit back and wait for 2014 offenses to make a mistake, and they don't (like GT Saturday) you are ****ed.

I don't like that. I like it when the defense pressures the offense and FORCES mistakes. You can't just sit back and wait for an unforced error.

Bend dont break: A.k.a....
tumblr_lxelmmjuWx1r8058ko1_500.gif

Bending for 5+ yards per play still results in a break. Just a slow painful one, typically on national television against a team with a pulse.

Advertisement
What the **** you talking about? Al faced Villanova twice, was beaten in 2008 and should have lost in 2009 but got lucky. In both contests, Coach Talley and staff got the better of this staff from a coaching perspective.

The philosophy is fine at Temple, when you can bank on the morons at Villanova to randomly fumble the ball and **** their pants, but it's not gonna cut it on the big stage vs real coaches.

Advertisement
there is nothing beautiful about our current defensive philosophy. it gives up chunk plays and virtually tires us out. even in places where the talent is fit for a 3-4 you still have to attack somewhat. and i'm not talking about our obvious delayed blitzes. our defense does nothing to disguise coverages and stunts. it's the most basic form of defense there is and is as primitive as the offenses army and navy runs. is worked in the time of basic offenses but doesn't cut it with the fire power modern day offenses have. it's no wonder our defensive players spirit looks broken as the game progresses.

There are no philosophies going on here.

Just hard headed joizy gumbahs taking UM to the bathhouse.

Advertisement
Back