2025 Davon Mitchell 5* TE from Los Alamitos, CA (‘24 Reclass Likely) [commits to OU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
On3 visit update

Just weeks after Los Alamitos (Calif.) 2025 four-star tight end Davon Mitchell landed a Miami offer, the Hurricanes’ staff rushed to bring him to campus for his first unofficial visit to Coral Gables.

They showed the No. 1 TE in next year’s class everything he wanted to see, too.

Mitchell and his father have heard from Miami’s staff, largely tight ends coach Cody Woodiel, since he picked up the offer in March, and the Hurricanes used his Saturday visit to show how he can fit into offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson’s offense. Miami still has a ways to go to catch up to the 6-foot-3, 220-pound group of top schools of Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas, but Saturday’s visit went well by all means.

“I got to see everything I was expecting,” Mitchell said. “I wanted to see them use their tight ends in practice today, and they did a good job with that in the passing game and the run-blocking game, so that was really impressive. I’m very interested in them right now, now that I got a chance to see them in action and stuff.”

Miami’s recruiting pitch thus far has largely leaned on tight end usage in Dawson’s offense, but he also said he’ll value the effort the Canes recruit him with. He’s a fan of Miami’s coaching staff early, and the Canes’ offensive system caught his eye. But Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas are higher on his radar after putting substantial effort into his recruitment.

The Canes’ staff has told him they like his versatility as a receiver and a run blocker, which he finds attractive too.

“The way that they don’t just use their tight ends for blocking,” Mitchell said when asked what he likes most about Miami. “And they’ve got great coaches on the staff.”

Mitchell said Miami needs to maintain its level of contact to climb on his radar and prove they can develop him into an NFL draft pick. He also values the opportunity to earn early playing time. He said he discussed a potential return visit to Miami over the summer but does not have a date set.

CaneSport’s Take
Miami is far from the frontrunner for Mitchell early in his recruitment, but Woodiel has emerged as an early recruiting superstar for the Canes’ staff. He had substantial involvement in the recruitment of a plethora of top-level recruits in the 2023 class as a graduate assistant and remained involved in the recruitment of 2024 prospects before he was promoted to his new role earlier this year.

Basically, Woodiel will give Miami a chance with the four-star.

Advertisement

Tight end usage is important to the top-ranked player at the position in the Class of 2025.

Los Alamitos (Cali) five-star Davon Mitchell watched Miami’s unit feast in Shannon Dawson’s offense during Saturday’s practice and that has the Hurricanes in the mix early on.

“I enjoyed it a lot. [Cody Woodiel] was telling me how he uses tight ends and stuff, got a chance to see that in person. I saw that it wasn’t all talk and they really use their tight ends. The tight ends get the ball. They’re good with the blocking game and the passing game. That’s something that really impressed me today,” Mitchell told InsideTheU on Saturday after his visit.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder spent most of his time around Woodiel and the first-year on-field coach left a lasting impression.

“I like everything about him. He’s a cool guy. He just got into the picture because they just offered maybe a month ago. It feels like he’s a chill guy and we can build a relationship,” Mitchell said.

With the Hurricanes just getting in the mix, it was important for Mitchell, who played his sophomore season at Allen (Texas).

“I just wanted to see if this is somewhere I want to be. I’ve given other schools a chance, so I was thinking maybe I can give them a chance too - see what they’re doing and how they’re producing,” Mitchell said.

The early No. 29 overall player in the class was impressed by what he saw from Miami.

“It was nice. I was really impressed. The tight ends was mainly who was getting the ball at practice today and they’re good in their blocking game. I like what [Woodiel] is doing with the tight ends.”

Mario Cristobal and Mitchell were able to sit down and chat also.

“It was a really cool thing. He talked to me about why Miami is the spot for me and stuff like that,” Mitchell said.

Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas are a few more schools doing the best job recruiting Mitchell, who is originally from the Yellowhammer State and then spent some time in the Lone Star State before landing in California.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Talk about a radical shake up to our TE board. Given that he is reclassifying, where does he fit among the elite 24 TEs? Is he at the top of our board?

I like this cat’s tape a lot. Runs well for his size. Seems like he has good body control. Catches the ball with his hands. I like that the highlights showed blocking too. Doesnt look to avoid contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back