Cristobal Question

shayleon

Sophomore
Sorry for another Cristobal thread but I just have a question.

Back when Cristobal was hired by Golden, seem like everybody was doing back flips. Seem like everybody was excited about the hire, some I remember saying that he would be a great successor. I know we as fans can be fickle than a MF, but im just wondering what happened between now and then that caused him to be viewed so negatively? Just wondering...I mean I agree there is waayyy better HC candidates available but I see some fans even saying they dont even want him as an OL coach. Whats up?

Advertisement
Did this really need its own thread? We were bringing him in as the TE coach not HC. If that needs to be explained to you then there's no help.

Did this really need its own thread? We were bringing him in as the TE coach not HC. If that needs to be explained to you then there's no help.

And that explains the negativity towards him how...thanks the positive feedback. Greatly appreciated.

And that explains the negativity towards him how...thanks the positive feedback. Greatly appreciated.

2007 FIU 1–11 1–6 7th
2008 FIU 5–7 3–4 T–5th
2009 FIU 3–9 3–5 6th
2010 FIU 7–6 6–2 T–1st W Little Caesars Pizza
2011 FIU 8–5 5–3 4th L Beef 'O' Brady's
2012 FIU 3–9 2–6 T–8th

Just to be more clear the purpose of this thread is to get actual opinions why the distaste for Cristobal in any coaching position, not necessarily HC. Actual opinions rather than Wikipedia facts. What has changed between now and when he was hired under Golden that makes him not worthy of even being a position coach?

Made a thread for it because all the others arent specific just fans saying they dont want him near the program but not providing reasons.

All the negativity left the building when Golden left the building so we should be able to have an intellectual conversation, rather than trying to be internet tough guys. Right?

Advertisement
I appreciate the thread, i was wondering the same thing. Seems like a lot vitriol targeted towards Cristobol and I thought he was well regarded. I understand his won/loss record at FIU but thought in general he did a good job with a new program. He also has the Hurricane pedigree and must be doing ok under Saban since he has been there a while.

I am far from an expert on the head coach search but find it curious people are immediately writing him off.

Al Golden.jpg Mario.jpg

al 2.jpg mario1.jpg

Last edited:
I looked in on the Miami/Cristobal story in the Alabama papers.

Everyone on the comment stream was *****ing about Mario's coaching of the Alabama OL. They want him gone.

Advertisement
You can't understand the difference between getting excited over bringing in a guy to be your TE coach vs bringing in that same guy to be your Head Coach? He's clearly not qualified to be a head coach, he couldn't cut it at FI freaking U.

Mario can't even properly coach O-Line at Bama, and we have idiots all over the place begging for him to get the job....it's absolutely pathetic.

Back when Cristobal was hired by Golden, seem like everybody was doing back flips. Seem like everybody was excited about the hire, some I remember saying that he would be a great successor. I know we as fans can be fickle than a MF, but im just wondering what happened between now and then that caused him to be viewed so negatively? Just wondering...I mean I agree there is waayyy better HC candidates available but I see some fans even saying they dont even want him as an OL coach. Whats up?

I don't need to explain the difference between hiring a guy as TE coach/assistant HC and hiring a guy for the top job.

The most impressive item on his résumé is an 8-5 season in the Sun Belt Conference.

It's absurd that some people consider him a viable candidate.

Al Golden is a better hc than Mario. Mario is literally a recruiting savant. He does that on a high level. That being said that's all he can do and by year 3 recruits look at wins. If UM doesn't make a good hire, I hate to say it but this will be the end of a once proud program.

Advertisement
Just to clarify even further, this is in regards to negativity towards Cristobal in general. I understard the difference between the excitenent towards him as a TE coach and HC would be different. Like I mentioned in the post above, im reading that fans dont even want him just coaching the O-line. So why is he not even acceptable as position coach to most? Just wondering...if you aint feeling the thread, dont post. Not that serious...

People were excited because he would come to help recruit not because of his coaching. Moreover if he didn't leave Miami would have had more talent and he would have probably been the interim HC instead of Scott.

This would have allowed him to prove his coaching skills and if he was successful probably have made him the next HC.

Everyone on the comment stream was *****ing about Mario's coaching of the Alabama OL. They want him gone.

I didnt know that. Thought he was doing pretty good at Bama.

Advertisement

I don't need to explain the difference between hiring a guy as TE coach/assistant HC and hiring a guy for the top job.

The most impressive item on his résumé is an 8-5 season in the Sun Belt Conference.

It's absurd that some people consider him a viable candidate.

And not trying be funny but he had the top talent in the sun belt his last 2 years and regressed from 8 games to 3. Too be honest forget the UM connection. Hire a good coach. What connection did Howard, Jimmy and Dennis have before they became coaches of UM? They were just good at what they did. That method works for Oregon not UM. Also I think some of our former players get too much say. I mean players like Bennie, Zo and Irvin were always advocating for Al because either their relatives got a scholly or started. Too many of these guys had ulterior motives. I'm not saying shun them away but we do need them to validate the hiring. I also think some of them is what's wrong with this team. Starting fights but can't back it up on the field. I don't ever recall Reed, Portis or Vilna ever talking trash like that. Our last championship team was different from the team of the 80's. And they were better ball players too.

Anyway signing Cristobal would be a mistake. He isn't well liked as a HC in Miami anyway.

I didnt know that. Thought he was doing pretty good at Bama.

Naw man. Bama's line has been the same since he became coach. He recruits well but his coaching is sub par. If Stoutland was OL coach at bama, Henry would be putting up better numbers than Fournette.

Advertisement
Back