Couple thoughts....

Pennmed Canefan

Sophomore
Maybe discussed elsewhere as I haven't read through everything.

1. Very impressed with Cam Williams. I thought he outplayed Roche last game. Roche was too eager to make plays and lost the edge too many times. Williams was content to set the edge and allow the defense to work. When he has the opportunity to rush the passer he flashes.

2. Brooks will take Jennings job. He kind of already has they basically split snaps. Brooks has a couple of issues in that he gets horizontal too easily and plays like a safety too much but he is fast and gets off blocks. Jennings can't get off blocks and when free he gets lost in traffic. Brooks has the upside. We need both because Brooks is too small to hold up but he looks better on screen.

3. Chaney > Knighton. Knighton has the Lorenzo Booker/2001 McGahee syndrome where he's kind of in a hurry and wants to make big plays. Chaney just runs the ball. If there's 5 he'll get 5 but if he gets the opportunity he'll be out the gate. I don't know about blocking/knowledge of offense/fumbling, but Chaney is the better runner to me right now until Knighton slows down.

4. Good test for Baker upcoming. He is getting dragged but the game plan for Louisville basically worked absent a couple of very good individual plays and the defense losing focus late. They played it soft and thought UL couldn't get away from us if they had to drive the field. FSU isn't that type of team we should sit on them and choke them. We should not look like a bend but don't break defense this week whereas the plan was acceptable and won last week.

Advertisement
1.) Think Cam has been thoroughly impressive. Don't agree with his play over Roche but him and Jahfari are coming along well.

2.) I am a huge Brooks fan and was actually disappointed when Jennings won the job over him. I agree, I think Brooks takes that spot soon. I would like to see Huff more often as well.

3.) I am a huge Chaney stan but idk if I'd say one is better than the other. I think they'll both be studs tho.

4.) Idk why but I just don't like Baker as a DC. We have too much talent to be out of position as often as we are.

Advertisement
Cam Williams is an absolute stud and is at worst our 3rd best DE- better than Harvey already.

I think that's a little much but everyone has their opinion. I think Harvey while doesn't have the length, has a great first step and is better on the run, only slightly and is more aggressive on tackling. But Roche, ehhh not that impressed.
Again, this is being nitpicky. Not upset about this problem! Nice future, Diaz has an eye for ends.

1. Very impressed with Cam Williams. I thought he outplayed Roche last game. Roche was too eager to make plays and lost the edge too many times. Williams was content to set the edge and allow the defense to work. When he has the opportunity to rush the passer he flashes.

2. Brooks will take Jennings job. He kind of already has they basically split snaps. Brooks has a couple of issues in that he gets horizontal too easily and plays like a safety too much but he is fast and gets off blocks. Jennings can't get off blocks and when free he gets lost in traffic. Brooks has the upside. We need both because Brooks is too small to hold up but he looks better on screen.

3. Chaney > Knighton. Knighton has the Lorenzo Booker/2001 McGahee syndrome where he's kind of in a hurry and wants to make big plays. Chaney just runs the ball. If there's 5 he'll get 5 but if he gets the opportunity he'll be out the gate. I don't know about blocking/knowledge of offense/fumbling, but Chaney is the better runner to me right now until Knighton slows down.

4. Good test for Baker upcoming. He is getting dragged but the game plan for Louisville basically worked absent a couple of very good individual plays and the defense losing focus late. They played it soft and thought UL couldn't get away from us if they had to drive the field. FSU isn't that type of team we should sit on them and choke them. We should not look like a bend but don't break defense this week whereas the plan was acceptable and won last week.
If you can't shed blocks from the LB position in this defensive scheme, you have no business being on the field. If we are going to keep this scheme, the ability to shed should be one of the most important attributes when scouting/recruiting, IMO.

Advertisement
Chaney = Knighton .. no need to have one better than the other

they both will be savage beasts in our way to prominence
Thank you. Our fans are always comparing the players. Sometimes you get different skill sets from different players. And that's OK.

Cam Williams is an absolute stud and is at worst our 3rd best DE- better than Harvey already.
He has flashed more to me than Harvey. Harvey plays timid. Roche is meh to me, no way a 22 year should lose contain that many **** times. Doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

They played too soft in the 4th quarter which I didn't like. They played cover 4 when they should have been playing cover 3. Allowed Louisville to make the game look closer than what it was and ruined your defensive statistics. I get that they didn't want to give up big plays having a 3 score lead, but that's fools gold in college football when the clock stops at every 1st down and your giving them a 1st down on every catch before contact is made.

After only allowing 6 points in the first half, there was no reason to start playing a soft cover 4. That's basically a prevent defense. With a 3 score lead, a cover 3 scheme would still prevent any big plays from getting past 3 safeties but would make it much harder for Louisville to matriculate the ball down the field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back