Corries Hardy Passed Away. R.I.P

Advertisement
Another gone far too young. It breaks your heart.

Former UM DT that played for Melbourne High School and Fork Union Military Academy before attending UM. R.I.P

Didn't play much at UM, but was behind some really good players. What a life he lived. Kudos to him and I regret I didn't know he was doing business in my neck of the woods. Looks as if his son is about to enter his season on the Naval Academy football team - another frosh on that Navy team just lost his Mom when a stray bullett hit her in Downtown Annapolis.

Advertisement
****, so sad. I occasionally saw his BBQ truck riding around Bethesda (with him in it!) and would always honk at him and flash the U and his pearly whites would always shine. Rest in Peace. Another one gone too early.

I JUST brought up CH's name to @TheMatador earlier today in a chat. :(

Didn't play much at UM, but was behind some really good players. What a life he lived. Kudos to him and I regret I didn't know he was doing business in my neck of the woods. Looks as if his son is about to enter his season on the Naval Academy football team - another frosh on that Navy team just lost his Mom when a stray bullett hit her in Downtown Annapolis.

Also, while he didn't amount to much in college, he was a **** of a prep player. Made parade AA type of lists, IIRC.

Wow, Hardy, James Stewart, Sapp, Woodus, and a few other would come over the house and get beat in Sega and Nintendo when I was young. My cousin, Travis Cooper played with them at the U. They ate at the house many days during their freshman year. Sad.

Advertisement
****! This hurts! I’ve been meaning to get down the road to check in on Corries at his truck. I live about ten minutes away from where he used to park the truck at the Women’s Farmers Market in downtown Bethesda.

A lesson—don’t put off getting together with people. Especially when the years creep up on you. Corries and I also had kind of a Brevard County connection. I attended Cocoa and Cocoa Beach High School and he attended Melbourne. I didn’t know him down there since we were separated by a lot of years—probably about 23 or so. He was that much younger than I am. I hope his wife and kids are holding up…I don’t know if she would be able to continue the catering business and truck without him.

RIP, Ries.

Advertisement
Corries was part of a stacked group of DEs at UM. I think he might have had to compete with Kennard Lang and Kenny Holmes, among others. I know we did recruit him hard, I think he had an offer from Bama although they were not quite on top the way they are now. He told me he transferred his last year to UCF to get playing time but I sensed his heart was always with the U. He also had a tryout with the Bucs. When I knew him he looked bigger than a DE, more like a DT.

Advertisement
****, so sad. I occasionally saw his BBQ truck riding around Bethesda (with him in it!) and would always honk at him and flash the U and his pearly whites would always shine. Rest in Peace. Another one gone too early.

I JUST brought up CH's name to @TheMatador earlier today in a chat. :(
Just saw this a little while ago, Dude. Sorry for not responding yet. No longer subscribe to the Bezos Post and just found out. He died in an accident almost two weeks ago. Kickin’myself for not getting down the road to the Women’s Cooperative Farmers Market to check in on Corries and buy some BBQ. Not much of that type of food left around here. Most BBQ places are “Asian” BBQ which is not really BBQ at all.

I used to mention Hardy’s to folks I thought might be interested. Interestingly, looking at the GoFundMe contributors he made a lot of friends around Bethesda and many seem to be ******—we are not raised eating BBQ necessarily. I didn’t realize how popular the Hardy family was but the GoFundMe has a lot of contributors.

Apparently the family hit some hard times last year. There was an earlier GoFundMe from when he had to sell his truck. Maybe it was because of the pandemic. Now he had a new truck and I guess was on his way to a business recovery when this tragedy happened. He was so young.

Advertisement
Back