Connor Strachan 2014 ILB Possible UM Interest?

Paranos

All-ACC
Connor Strachan is not your typical throw back Inside Linebacker, but rather he reminds me of some former Miami greats from both the professional and college ranks. He is a cross between Zach Thomas and Dan Morgan but way more athletic for his size. Strachan is listed at a stockily built 6'1" 230lbs but some recruiting analyst who have seen him think he is more toward the 5'11" 245lbs range, but one thing they all agree on is his laser timed 4.48 sec 40yd dash, and has 37" vertical jump (which shows his explosiveness). But the true test of a modern era Linebacker is can he cover in space well Strachan backed up his 4.18 shuttle run ( which is Outstanding) ability by winning the LB mvp at the New Jersey NFTC this past weekend. There where some incredible athletes from New Jersey (none nationally as a speed state) and 14 other states, an to Strachan's credit not only was he not beaten all day; he even intercepted a pass.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/RCS-Newark-Recap-1115183;_ylt=AnI45BGi0O46xUydDow3a2dHspB4

Strachan is/was a heavy ND lean but ND is not interested (most likely to do to his height and weak competition level), however UVA is very interested an after Strachan camped there last summer they offered him he has since been to UVA twice on visits. BC would love to keep Strachan home an turn him into the next great Eagle LB, but it seems Strachan is very interested in the leaving the state, but will only do so for a strong academic institution. Coming from a Northeast parochial school carrying a 3.5 GPA Strachan will be able to qualify anywhere. On the field he is also equally astute in diagnosing plays and could be considered by UM fans a blending of Sean Spence's cerebral ability to diagnosis plays with Denzel Perryman's tenacity. In regards to the latter whether he chooses to turn pro next year UM Strachan an dear I say Strachan would be an ideal replacement and even upgrade in athletic ability.

Strachan is ranked #15 inside LB in the country because the competition he plays in Mass has traditionally been suspect, however had this young man played at lets say a St. Thomas or Don Brosco he would be a Top 5 backer. So he has sought out camps to prove his ability which he did by dominating some of the best competition the Northeast had to offer, I think if UM came in with a verbal offer and invite to AG's camp this summer to compete against some S. Fla Talent I think there is very strong possibility he commits to UM (at the camp) and is an Early Enrollee due to his growing desire to leave Mass if he finds a better option the BC.

Go Canes

Connor Strachan 2012 Season highlights
[video=youtube;4nR74kB06E8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR74kB06E8[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Connor Strachan is not your typical throw back Inside Linebacker, but rather he reminds me of some former Miami greats from both the professional and college ranks. He is a cross between Zach Thomas and Dan Morgan but way more athletic for his size. Strachan is listed at a stockily built 6'1" 230lbs but some recruiting analyst who have seen him think he is more toward the 5'11" 245lbs range, but one thing they all agree on is his laser timed 4.48 sec 40yd dash, and has 37" vertical jump (which shows his explosiveness). But the true test of a modern era Linebacker is can he cover in space well Strachan backed up his 4.18 shuttle run ( which is Outstanding) ability by winning the LB mvp at the New Jersey NFTC this past weekend. There where some incredible athletes from New Jersey (none nationally as a speed state) and 14 other states, an to Strachan's credit not only was he not beaten all day; he even intercepted a pass.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/RCS-Newark-Recap-1115183;_ylt=AnI45BGi0O46xUydDow3a2dHspB4

Strachan is/was a heavy ND lean but ND is not interested (most likely to do to his height and weak competition level), however UVA is very interested an after Strachan camped there last summer they offered him he has since been to UVA twice on visits. BC would love to keep Strachan home an turn him into the next great Eagle LB, but it seems Strachan is very interested in the leaving the state, but will only do so for a strong academic institution. Coming from a Northeast parochial school carrying a 3.5 GPA Strachan will be able to qualify anywhere. On the field he is also equally astute in diagnosing plays and could be considered by UM fans a blending of Sean Spence's cerebral ability to diagnosis plays with Denzel Perryman's tenacity. In regards to the latter whether he chooses to turn pro next year UM Strachan an dear I say Strachan would be an ideal replacement and even upgrade in athletic ability.

Strachan is ranked #15 inside LB in the country because the competition he plays in Mass has traditionally been suspect, however had this young man played at lets say a St. Thomas or Don Brosco he would be a Top 5 backer. So he has sought out camps to prove his ability which he did by dominating some of the best competition the Northeast had to offer, I think if UM came in with a verbal offer and invite to AG's camp this summer to compete against some S. Fla Talent I think there is very strong possibility he commits to UM (at the camp) and is an Early Enrollee due to his growing desire to leave Mass if he finds a better option the BC.

Go Canes

Connor Strachan 2012 Season highlights
[video=youtube;4nR74kB06E8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR74kB06E8[/video]

Paranos... What a great report on this young man. It appears his ONLY negative is his height. Coach Golden is a 6'+ guy. However, there must be exceptions for talent like this. Great job finding Connor and thank you for sharing this report.

Go Canes! :cigar:

Interesting. A white linebacker and you went with a "cross between Zach Thomas and Dan Morgan" comp.

What about London Fletcher? Or, on the college level, Buster Davis?

Advertisement
Interesting. A white linebacker and you went with a "cross between Zach Thomas and Dan Morgan" comp.

What about London Fletcher? Or, on the college level, Buster Davis?

Sam Mills?
I never hear a black linebacker described as a "Dan Morgan" type, even though Morgan was a great lb regardless of color. Same with Zach Thomas.

Not trying to turn this into a thread on rasicm, but it always is very funny to me that every white guy we recruit is "the next Dan Morgan". Never once heard Colin McCarthy compared to Jon Beason or Jon Vilma when he was here, only Morgan. Kind of lazy analysis.

Hey Tex in regards to Golden being 6'+ guy, how tall is Perryman, Gioni Paul lol.... Just messing with ya. A certain amount of height can be overlooked when there is an abundance of work ethic & god given talent & athleticism. This might be one of those cases.

Advertisement
Did you all miss the comparsion with Denzel Perryman and Sean Spence. Talk about selective retention. How about the contection to all 4 of those LB's mentioned are tackling machines, and this kid ran a 4.46 at 240lbs combined with a jack rabbit quick 4.18 shuttle. I don't care if he is flipping purple & gold I would want his sure tackle multi-colored self playing for my team.

Stick to the important points the kid can play and just to make a sarcastic pun he proves white men can jump with 37 inch vertical.

I pose this question to those calling my assessment into question would ya'll not accept his commitment if/when he gets a UM offer.

Go Canes!

Uva is trying hard for this young man, but he us still remaining open for now, which leaves the door ooen for UM.

Go Canes

Be surprised if Golden and Barrow have to be told about the kid. Also don't think Golden is hung up on 6-ft-plus linebackers as much as he wants a little more bulk or weight to go with the speed.

Advertisement
The kid has some cover skills watch his New York NFTC highlights
[video=youtube;pWiwuo0XtUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWiwuo0XtUM[/video]

Someone with ties to the staff needs to get this kids video to Barrow. Would be interested to see what he looks like at a Miami camp vs better competition. Certainly looks the part.

Someone with ties to the staff needs to get this kids video to Barrow. Would be interested to see what he looks like at a Miami camp vs better competition. Certainly looks the part.

Well New Jersey is also known for speed and athletes so thats who he was covering at the camp.
I agree that the staff should reach out to him which I believe they are in the process of doing.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I'm confused on where there is any interest in UM besides he wants out of where he is. Did I miss something?

Advertisement
Back