Confusing McMurphy tweet

Not sure they are done as the have a half billion dollars in cash. Changes will come, done is not one of them. The NCAA had its own Golden Rule and its called “We have the gold so we make the rules!”
I don’t think they are going to go bankrupt, but I do think they could lose their role in this machine. The P5 conferences are halfway out of the door from the G5 conferences who are halfway out the door from the non-FBS conferences who are halfway out the door from football and basketball vs all other sports.

So if they couldn’t get their **** together during Covid, what exactly are P5 conferences cutting them in for? $977m of their $1.06bn in revenues are from television rights and tournaments. How much do you think that will go down in the P5 left? $500m doesn’t go very far if that revenue disappears.

Advertisement
I don’t think they are going to go bankrupt, but I do think they could lose their role in this machine. The P5 conferences are halfway out of the door from the G5 conferences who are halfway out the door from the non-FBS conferences who are halfway out the door from football and basketball vs all other sports.
So if they couldn’t get their **** together during Covid, what exactly are P5 conferences cutting them in for? $977m of their $1.06bn in revenues are from television rights and tournaments. How much do you think that will go down in the P5 left? $500m doesn’t go very far if that revenue disappears.
I’m not a fan of the NCAA, but they still are strong. This is their March Madness TV deal:

March Madness is the NCAA’s primary moneymaker each year, accounting for almost 80% of total revenue. While ticket sales and marketing rights are a lucrative component of March Madness, the NCAA benefits most from the 14-year, $10.8 billion television-rights deal it has with CBS Sports and Turner Sports, which was extended to 2032 for an additional $8.8 billion in 2016.

Granted much of that money goes to participating schools but there are enough crumbs to keep them relevant. There is still much going on with the Power 3 so what happens to their seasons will also go a long way. We’ll see what happens, should be interesting.

I’m not a fan of the NCAA, but they still are strong. This is their March Madness TV deal:

March Madness is the NCAA’s primary moneymaker each year, accounting for almost 80% of total revenue. While ticket sales and marketing rights are a lucrative component of March Madness, the NCAA benefits most from the 14-year, $10.8 billion television-rights deal it has with CBS Sports and Turner Sports, which was extended to 2032 for an additional $8.8 billion in 2016.

Granted much of that money goes to participating schools but there are enough crumbs to keep them relevant. There is still much going on with the Power 3 so what happens to their seasons will also go a long way. We’ll see what happens, should be interesting.
Ok. And what happens if the P5 conferences leave to do their own thing? Not saying that will certainly happen but it’s more likely as time goes. If the 5 conferences say we are going to throw our own college basketball tournament and split the profits five ways without cutting in the NCAA, what do you think then happens to that deal and the NCAA’s money? At this point why wouldn’t they? That’s a quick way to make more money towards the non-revenue sports, many of which are required by Title IX.

Lol. Read again. If they want they can force the power 5 to shut it down. Not by any other mechanism than optics but they can actually wield power over them.
no they cant. maybe its already been said, but the OP is talking about Fall sports other than football. The NCAA has no sway over P5 football. MArk Emmert just admitted that yesterday

Advertisement
Back