Columbus Vs. Northeast Analysis

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Here are some notes on the game:
-Columbus still has a dominant defense. Despite losing Three All Dade Defensive Linemen last year, Columbus' Defense is still powerful. They held WR Stacy Coley to one catch and also shut down the Northeast running game.

-2013 DB Adrian Campell had a interception that sparked momentum for Columbus to take the lead. 2015 Safety Calvin Brewton was ejected early in the game for a Unsportsman Conduct Penalty (Remember these are preseason rules, once you get an unsportsmanlike conduct you are ejected. I can vouch for Calvin saying the call was horrendous)

-Columbus lost RB Brandon Radlciff and many weren't sure is 2014 RB Oshton Armstrong could fill that three headed monster again. I can honestly say Columbus still has a three headed monster at running back position, he has the perfect set of speed, power and agility. Both Lorenzo Woodley (2013) and Daryl Chestnut (2013) each found the end zone once.

-2015 QB Tucker Beirne looked solid in his first performance in south Florida. Beirne didn't get many opportunities to throw the ball, but when he did he was accurate and fast. Beirne only threw one touchdown in his opening game but in his first appearance against south Florida it was a good one.

- 2013 WR Stacy Coley was a complete non-factor the majority of the game. Despite a late thirty yard wildcat run, He looked like a deer in headlights. Only accounted for one catch and was out of the game.

-Northeast in general looks like a very lost team, they are young and undisciplined but have potential.

Overall, The signs Columbus showed tonight were good despite not having all their players. Columbus' real test will be next Friday against the St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
- 2013 WR Stacy Coley was a complete non-factor the majority of the game. Despite a late thirty yard wildcat run, He looked like a deer in headlights. Only accounted for one catch and was out of the game.

A deer in headlights really. Don't you think that's a tad overboard. Kid faced a double team all night and he still got behind the double team on multiple occasions but his qb failed to deliver him the ball. One of the few times the qb actually had a chance to get the ball downfield to him for like a 50 yard completion it got called back do to another NE penalty. Also that catch mentioned was pretty impressive in it's own right since he slipped and fell while coming out of his break and managed to react quickly enough get back up to his knees and made the catch considering the ball was already in the air before he made his break and slipped. Coach McDonald and the Wisconsin coach who were standing on the sideline in front of me seemed to be impressed by his reaction and concentration to make the play. In no way did he look like a deer in headlights or appear to be out of the game when I saw him make number of really nice blocks in the running game which impressed me since he didn't shutdown and pout because his young qb couldn't get him the ball. Btw the 30+ yard run was on a reverse not a run from the wildcat.

A deer in headlights really. Don't you think that's a tad overboard. Kid faced a double team all night and he still got behind the double team on multiple occasions but his qb failed to deliver him the ball. One of the few times the qb actually had a chance to get the ball downfield to him for like a 50 yard completion it got called back do to another NE penalty. Also that catch mentioned was pretty impressive in it's own right since he slipped and fell while coming out of his break and managed to react quickly enough get back up to his knees and made the catch considering the ball was already in the air before he made his break and slipped. Coach McDonald and the Wisconsin coach who were standing on the sideline in front of me seemed to be impressed by his reaction and concentration to make the play. In no way did he look like a deer in headlights or appear to be out of the game when I saw him make number of really nice blocks in the running game which impressed me since he didn't shutdown and pout because his young qb couldn't get him the ball. Btw the 30+ yard run was on a reverse not a run from the wildcat.

This is good to hear, I imagine our staff is looking at that kind of stuff closely.

I was 'bout to say deer in headlights sounds a little harsh, but I'm not exactly unbiased, as I am the Official Get Stacy in this Class Bandwagon driver. Good to hear he didn't shut it down despite not being productive numbers wise.

Advertisement
Sickest first post ever?
58.gif

I was 'bout to say deer in headlights sounds a little harsh, but I'm not exactly unbiased, as I am the Official Get Stacy in this Class Bandwagon driver. Good to hear he didn't shut it down despite not being productive numbers wise.

Dont't worry...Tito isn't unbiased here either lol

Btw, a better analysis of Stacey would be how was his route running, was he getting separation, how quick was he in and out of breaks....etc, not all about catches. He can't throw himself the ball.

Dont't worry...Tito isn't unbiased here either lol

Btw, a better analysis of Stacey would be how was his route running, was he getting separation, how quick was he in and out of breaks....etc, not all about
catches. He can't throw himself the ball.

Stacy was getting open on multiple occasions and was overthrown a lot. Trust me he was getting good seperation. But he had two drops right in his hands, including one on a screen play where he ran before catching the ball. Please read my Stacy Coley Observation.

Advertisement
Back