Coaching Matters

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
I detest Urban Meyer and I hate Ohio State almost as much as I hate Notre Dame, but anyone who watched this year's games must admit that coaching matters.

UM is sitting in the middle of top talent in the nation - and yet for three consecutive choices in a row - refuses to acknowledge/understand that coaching matters.

It's like we have a top quality Formula One car, tons of the best extra parts in the world, but friggin UM refused to hire a driver. To make it worse, they refuse to hire a top crew chief. Our crew chief came from the ticket sales office, and doesn't know siht about racing.

Our car gets driven around the track during warm-ups, but our driver can't run on cloudy days, windy days, when the sun's too bright, when it rains, goes into the turns too wide and too slow, keeps one foot on the brakes the entire race, and is simply scared sihtless to race.

All we need is a top crew chief to support the race team, and a top driver who's experienced, shown an ability to get out front from a bad starting position, and work his way up to the front.

Advertisement
Pillars

golden-cat.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Agreed. I was going to start a thread basically saying the same thing. In past years, after watching the championship game, I was depressed because I felt like we were so far away from a talent perspective. I still think that we are lacking difference makers at a couple spots, especially the DL, where OSU has some great players, but otherwise the biggest takeaway for me from this year especially was the difference a great/elite coach can make.

The coaches for almost all of the best teams this year are guys who clearly a cut above - guys like Saban, Meyer, Patterson, Briles and Fisher. And honestly, while we can't know for sure on Helfrich, the guy was able to lead a team that generally does not the level of talent of some of the other top teams to the championship game. The elite coaches are able to get the collective whole to be much greater than the sum of the individual parts. This year in particular showed that Golden is incapable of harnessing the individual talent on his team and getting that talent to play together at a higher level. It makes me sad to think how far behind some of these other schools we are because we're unwilling to recognize that our coach is so far behind these other coaches.

Howard said all Miami ever needed was a good coach. Anyone who thinks coaching doesn't matter has never paid attention to football.

Advertisement
I'd like to think I was willing to hear both sides of the argument about Golden's tenure and for a while felt that there were good points being made both in the "for" and "against" camp. But at this stage how much more does someone possibly need to see?

I have trouble even talking about it because it feels like such a colossal waste of energy given how obvious the next step is. Butch Davis is BEGGING for the job, and will work for cheap without a long contract. What on earth could you possibly lose by making that move???? The level to which it so obvious smacks you in the face more than the bird that was hit in the face with the Randy Johnson fastball!

[video=youtube_share;RnHGaX3Uxj0]http://youtu.be/RnHGaX3Uxj0[/video]

Ladies and gentlemen, OP hit this nail completely on the head. Let's dissect the differences of the two coaches.

Golden came on board in 2011 w/ UM under the pretense of a big scandal.
Meyers came on board in 2012 w/ OSU under the pretense of a big scandal.

But the approach has been eerily different. In year one, Golden used the cloud to justify mediocrity. Meyers demanded the best out of his players from day one even after they lost their top 3 players to the NFL and handful to suspension. The result? Golden goes 6-6 in his first year, while Meyers went 12-0.

In year two, Golden used the cloud and youth as a means to justify 7-5 including going 3-3 down the stretch.
In year two, Meyers used his inexperienced team full of freshman and first year starters to go 12-2

In year three, Golden used cloud, youth, and conditioning as a means to justify going 2-4 down the stretch after we started 7-0
In year three, Meyers used freshman and sophomores to win a National Championship.

In year four, Golden used cloud, youth, discipline, night games, wind, youtube to justify going 6-7 including 0-4 down the stretch.
In year four...Meyers may go back to back in Nat'l championships.

It's funny how we are in the hotbed of recruiting, we have history, we play in the weakest division of the Power 5 conferences, we have 11 NFL draftable players on this years roster, yet Golden has everyone convinced it takes 15 yrs to build a fluid program. Welp, I guess Meyers have proven that if you are a good coach, coaching at a prestigious university, you only need 3...oh Nick Saban said the same thing.

It matters more in college football than probably any of the organized major sports, at any level.

You need someone intelligent, aggressive, innovative, and who's presence permeates throughout the whole program.

This is why it boggles my ******* mind that Golden still has a job. We're 6 steps behind (as usual) and it's a matter of time before college football as whole laps us.

Worst run football program in the entire ******* country. Hands down.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back