Coaches outsmarting themselves

Trav

Redshirt Freshman
So, overall happy with the result as I posted previously, but it drives me crazy when coaches outsmart themselves. How did Manny do it today? Why were we all sweating bullets ready to projectile vomit watching VT kick a walk-off FG on their final drive?

We're down 24-13 and we score to make it 24-19. The "sheet" says we need to go for 2. So we roll out the old Mt. Zion throwback (a classic!) but somehow it doesn't work.

Later we score again to go up 1, and since the Zion throwback inexplicably didn't work, we're forced to go for 2 again, which also fails. That's right math wizards.. had we just kicked both XPs.. that would have put us up.. <Charlie Day conspiracy board gif> 3! Meaning that last drive could have only forced OT with a FG. Or, if 1 of 2 of those 2 pt attempts worked.. same thing.

So bottom line, it was dumb to go for 2 the first time, necessitated the 2nd time, and actually put us in an awful situation, where fortunately the defense bailed us out.

Coaches outsmarting themselves 101.

Advertisement
I understand going for two at 24-19 with limited time left. Didn't like the playcall though. Too cute. We also tried to be cute on the fake field goal on the first drive. Those three points would've made the decision in the fourth quarter a moot point.

So, overall happy with the result as I posted previously, but it drives me crazy when coaches outsmart themselves. How did Manny do it today? Why were we all sweating bullets ready to projectile vomit watching VT kick a walk-off FG on their final drive?

We're down 24-13 and we score to make it 24-19. The "sheet" says we need to go for 2. So we roll out the old Mt. Zion throwback (a classic!) but somehow it doesn't work.

Later we score again to go up 1, and since the Zion throwback inexplicably didn't work, we're forced to go for 2 again, which also fails. That's right math wizards.. had we just kicked both XPs.. that would have put us up.. <Charlie Day conspiracy board gif> 3! Meaning that last drive could have only forced OT with a FG. Or, if 1 of 2 of those 2 pt attempts worked.. same thing.

So bottom line, it was dumb to go for 2 the first time, necessitated the 2nd time, and actually put us in an awful situation, where fortunately the defense bailed us out.

Coaches outsmarting themselves 101.

Zion throw back play was the "Lashlee Genius Playcall"

I understand going for two at 24-19 with limited time left. Didn't like the playcall though. Too cute. We also tried to be cute on the fake field goal on the first drive. Those three points would've made the decision in the fourth quarter a moot point.
Hated the fake FG. If you don't want to settle for a FG there just keep it in King's hands.

Gonna have to disagree I like the call to be honest, but you saw the game I saw, Jose had a huge area to get 3 yards, he literally ran into the only guy there. I guess that's why he is a kicker!
Tough ****y, but it happens.

Advertisement
I've got no problem with the fake FG or going for 2pt conversions twice. Had fake FG been successful, a lot of people on here would've called it a genius move. On the first 2pt conversion we were down 5, so I have no issue trying to cut the lead to 3 instead of 4. Only issue I have was the play call. Surely, we've got to have something better in our goal line package. Lastly, on the last 2pt try it would've put us up 3 instead of 2. So I've got no issue with that one neither.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Sure, almost like the kicker doesn't have very good RB instincts.
I know, right?!

I'm not criticizing the call or his effort, just pointing out what I saw. I'm sure he'll see the tape and be ****ed all on his own. I'd say he did just fine.

Advertisement
Back