Coach L's recruiting

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Anyone else worried about it? I know they've gotten gems like Newton and Burnett, but considering how good of a coach he is and how well they did two years ago, you would think he would be able to translate it to consistent recruiting success.

Maybe I'm just scarred from the recent misses for a big man lol.

Advertisement
We need to be consistently good before we can start landing the big time recruits and getting guys to "buy-in" to the program.

He's recruited a top 50 player and seems to be a great talent evaluator plus he can coach and teach. He's one of the best in the country.

Advertisement
Not at all. As much as I detest "stars" in recruiting, L has outrecruited both Haith and Clark at Miami on average - and that did not include the current 2014 class, which features a top 50 player, two other players who have at least one four-star grade (and are consensus "strong" three-stars), and a JUCO All-Star who fits a need perfectly. I'm as frustrated as the next guy at swinging and missing at these graduate recruits, but I think many of us overestimate the appeal we have in recruiting at this point (it's much easier to point to the Sweet 16 year as a fluke at this point), and also underestimate how difficult it is to get a fifth-year transfer - Kirk was a gift last year since he had experience and we still had his former teammates on the roster.

Anyone who follows basketball recently knows the following:

1. Coaching has a tremendous impact on the game, and

2. More non-traditional power teams (Wichita State, VCU and Butler) are able to excel with inferior talent. These teams (i.e. Butler who gets 4th/5th tier talent in Indiana Area) are doing more with less.

Since Coach is really capable of motivating and maximizing the ability of his players, he can do more with less. Do you think he was getting studs at GMU?

With that said Coach L has recruited the following:

He recruited transfer Shane Larkin....FIRST ROUND PICK

2012: Jekiri

2013: Deandre Burnett and Davon Reed (both 4 stars, not that I care)

2014: Ja'Quan Newton and James Palmer (both 4 stars)

Transfers: Sheldon McClellan and Angel Rodriguez, who will bot play/start this season. I think transfers are part of recruiting in this game.

Best coach at the university, I got no worries about the BB program in his hands.

Advertisement
Game is going smaller, look at the past several years the teams with the best guard play typically have done the best. The days of the Mournings, Ewings, Robinsons Etc.. are gone because they go pro after 1 year which is why the more seasoned teams with great guards have shown teams with talented but inexperienced bigs the door in the dance.

Advertisement
Anyone else worried about it? I know they've gotten gems like Newton and Burnett, but considering how good of a coach he is and how well they did two years ago, you would think he would be able to translate it to consistent recruiting success.

Maybe I'm just scarred from the recent misses for a big man lol.
Seriously dude we've had one good season and u think one season translates to dominant recruiting? C'mon bro cut coach L some slack. Man is doing terrific.

Advertisement
Back