Coach L

Roster management? He got hosed with the bogus FBI investigation. That doesn't happen plus the Dewan crap there is no issue. Caputo is considered to be a top assistant coach btw.

It took many years to get to this point. If you think the FBI bullchit began our roster management issues, sorry.

Who considers Caputo a top assistant? The fans of Boston College?

Advertisement
A lot of players were leaving well before the FBI matter. It's one thing for a Duke to suffer some losses but ... we needed LeComte, Palmer, etc.
Lecomte and Palmer all would be gone before this season if they had not transferred. Who was Palmer taking minutes from? Last year we never really had Brown and Lonnie playing together.

We lost at least 2 recruits form the FBI crap. If that didn't happen and Dewan was playing there would be no issue.

Lecomte and Palmer all would be gone before this season if they had not transferred. Who was Palmer taking minutes from? Last year we never really had Brown and Lonnie playing together.

Yep, Palmer wasn't going to play over Mac, he sure as **** wasn't going to take minutes from Davon who was a more complete player. Sometimes, you have a logjam at positions, and unlike in previous decades guys aren't willing to wait. Palmer was going to leave, because he wanted to play, and wasn't willing to risk sitting and still ending up stuck behind someone. Manu wasn't interested in redshirting, even though he desperately needed to gain weight. Guess what? Manu had a **** good career at Baylor, after gaining the strength L wanted him to. Burnett didn't want to play D, he wanted to be a pure chucker. It's not an accident that he ended up at Ole Miss, a program that loves selfish, one dimensional players that can only jack up shots. He basically got that coach fired, because he was all about his stats, he never made a soul around him any better.

Advertisement
Canedude, Manu had a pretty **** good career going at UM too, weight or not. Was Palmer ever talked to about a RS?

Waardenburg shoulda redshirted last season and Palmer woulda had those minutes plus most of Brown's as it turned out. Palmer was a highly sought DC player (always very good at a minimum). It's the coaches job, after spending all the hard effort to recruit a guy that like, to keep him happy. Otherwise, why recruit him in the first place?

We can't afford to let the Palmers of the world get away. We're not that strong a program. With Wilson, it sure wasn't a log jam situation. Burnett -- I agree with you. I was happy when he departed.

Yes, Caputo is a highly regarded asst. no matter what you think.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...st-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

A few things:

1. That article is from ~2 years ago.
2. That is one article and from someone who doesn’t have authority to hire anyone.
3. Where are the offers? Considering that article is pretty old right now. Coach L has had 3 coaches leave to be HC elsewhere during his Miami tenure.
4. Do you care to explain that game @BC last year when Caputo failed to show basic understandings of being an HC?

Canedude, Manu had a pretty **** good career going at UM too, weight or not. Was Palmer ever talked to about a RS?

Waardenburg shoulda redshirted last season and Palmer woulda had those minutes plus most of Brown's as it turned out. Palmer was a highly sought DC player (always very good at a minimum). It's the coaches job, after spending all the hard effort to recruit a guy that like, to keep him happy. Otherwise, why recruit him in the first place?

We can't afford to let the Palmers of the world get away. We're not that strong a program. With Wilson, it sure wasn't a log jam situation. Burnett -- I agree with you. I was happy when he departed.

I'm quite sure Palmer wasn't let go. No coach is going to tell two talented complete players to sit so some raw guy can get minutes. Palmer needed to grow into that body and refine his skill set. Guess what? Transferring forced him to do those things. Guys are not willing to wait and develop at one place for the most part. Remember, Palmer knew Miami was looking to upgrade at his position with guys like Amp, BB and a high schooler named Lonnie.

Advertisement
This is the biggest lesson to learn from this situation (season). If you cannot fill out your roster with freshman, at least add grad transfers so you do have to play shorthanded.
If you have a player who may get kicked off the team before the season, add a grad transfer in the summer. I don't think Miles Wilson did something so bad he had to get kicked out of school immediately. I think this was a recurring problem that reached its boiling point. I could be wrong but no one knows outside of the coaching staff.
As I mentioned before, next season, the Canes add 2 freshman and Kam McGusty is eligible. If Dewan returns, Miami has 10 available players and 3 unused scholarships.
Unless Cole Anthony commits and CJ Walker along with Vernon Carey Jr decommit from their previous commitments then commit to Miami. Those three scholarships should be used on grad transfers (1 wing and 2 bigs) who can contribute to the Canes in the 2019-20 season.
Then Miami has 5 scholarships for five freshman in the 2020 recruiting class.
I hope everyone now realizes that you should use all 13 scholarships every season. Depth is required to be successful in sports.

I'm quite sure Palmer wasn't let go. No coach is going to tell two talented complete players to sit so some raw guy can get minutes. Palmer needed to grow into that body and refine his skill set. Guess what? Transferring forced him to do those things. Guys are not willing to wait and develop at one place for the most part. Remember, Palmer knew Miami was looking to upgrade at his position with guys like Amp, BB and a high schooler named Lonnie.
All good points. We don't know what we don't know, in terms of particulars.

All good points. We don't know what we don't know, in terms of particulars.

What's funny is that L has landed and identified a ton of good guys, that couldn't play at Miami but went on to success elsewhere. That's not an indictment of L, that's more a tribute to him being able to identify talent. No one was touting Manu like that when he got here, he developed into a **** good college point guard. Palmer was solid, but he was a guy that got lost in the crowd. You could see the potential with both, but they weren't willing to wait their turn. In the case of Palmer, I don't blame him. He was destined to be stuck behind superior players, with little chance of getting significant PT. Manu on the other hand should have stuck it out. He would have passed Quan as the starting PG, and Quan would have most likely been stuck in the role he was best suited: sixth man.

The problem with L's roster at this point is that he didn't have an incoming freshman class(Due to crap beyond his control) and he lost two NBA players. That's 3-5 bodies Miami doesn't have. That's before we get into the fact that Gak and Huell aren't around. You'd think that Miami would have been able to keep either Brown or Walker(Walker probably wishes he had stayed, he's on the periphery of things in the league right now)

Advertisement
Do we know whether Dewan could return? Maybe he's lost his college eligibility, period. Not just for this season.

The broadcast last night mentioned that he had another appeal coming up. I don't think it will end well, but he's still trying. There's a reason why he continues to be around the program.

Canedude, I saw that post about his appeal after I posted my question about his future. I'm really hoping that the NCAA does right by Dewan. If they don't, though, on Monday the 14th, I've got a feeling his college career will indeed then be done for good.

Advertisement
Back