Coach Kool Theory

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Alright experts, let me know what you think of this theory I've had brewing since September:

In a late summer interview, coach Kool was asked why he hasn't been elevated to DC at some school anywhere. I expected him to say that he just enjoys being a DL coach, but instead, he mentioned that he has an interest in being a DC if the opportunity came up, but he's not worried about it right now.

So...

Manny has done an unquestionably great job AND his name is already being tossed around for HC opportunities. If we have the kind of year next year that I think we will (all things being equal) then there is an excellent chance that Manny will finally get that HC opportunity that he's been working toward.

I wonder if there is a deal already being put into place (perhaps one of the conditions for coming to UM) for when Diaz leaves, Kool becomes DC. In that scenario, hopefully, he retains DL duties as well since he's literally the best in the business.

I would be completely fine with this, if it means we keep coach Kool. As we all know, when your DL is dominant, it covers all kinds of deficiencies in the back 7.

So....am I way off here, or what do you think?

Advertisement
Kool was hired before Diaz was. And I doubt he would have a clause in his contract to replace an unknown DC at an unknown time in the future.

I think Manny's here for another 2 years. If his defense continues to improve, he'll have 3 solid years that he can erase the one blemish on his record that is Texas. At that point he'll then be a hot coaching commodity should the defense continue to improve.

I think Manny's here for another 2 years. If his defense continues to improve, he'll have 3 solid years that he can erase the one blemish on his record that is Texas. At that point he'll then be a hot coaching commodity should the defense continue to improve.

Man, I like your version better than mine! I just have a feeling that if his group performs next year like I think it will, he will have a a lot of interest from a number of programs.

But, would LOVE to have him for 2 more years!!

Advertisement

Man, I like your version better than mine! I just have a feeling that if his group performs next year like I think it will, he will have a a lot of interest from a number of programs.

But, would LOVE to have him for 2 more years!!

It's about providing a nice solid foundation where on your next interview you prove it's not a fluke. And even then, look at Venerables over at Clemson, he's had a lot of good years as a DC. Won't say how that's going to play out, but that would be the logical decision.

Venables is still a DC and has a much more impressive resume at this point. I wouldn't worry about this right now. Im sure if we get to playoff caliber we will pony up the necessary cash to keep him happy as a DC.

Advertisement
If Banda is supposed to be our ace recruiter at least in the secondary it won't be good. But we haven't even gotten to this point. I'll say this though if colleges are looking to take Miami coaches in the future then the team is of national relevance again.

some people are made to be position coaches or coordinators that don't want or posses the skill set to be a manager. not saying it's the case here but John Chavis is a great example as he is a DC for life with a reason he's never been mentioned for head coaching openings.

Bud Foster seems content. Miami is Diaz's hometown. Maybe he sticks around and hopes to succeed Richt.

Some guys here love to promote our coaches, yet you see other great DC's at other programs there for numerous years. Stop the nonsense already. Miami is not even in the top 10, stop hyping up **** that will happen in about 5 years. Let's hype up recruiting that's where our energy should be at, because technically we haven't done jack ****. These coaches make a lot of money, let them earn it. And not just in a couple of years.

Advertisement
Bud Foster seems content. Miami is Diaz's hometown. Maybe he sticks around and hopes to succeed Richt.

Well, there certainly is something to be said for a school stepping up, paying you low 7 figures (ala making you a millionaire) but without the pressure and obligations of being the HC. If Manny continues his improvement as a DC and school ponies up, again proving that it wants to be nationally relevant again, I guess I could see a Jimbo Fischer scenario. I mean, it certainly worked out for Jimbo and FSU.

There is no doubting that Kool is great DL coach, but is he so good that if Diaz leaves, Miami should forego trying to hire a DC with experience and a proven track record for a guy who has never been a DC before just because he is a good DL coach?

He's been a DL coach for the last twenty years. When Diaz leaves it'll be twenty plus. He either hasn't been asked to call plays anywhere or if he has, he's said no every time. So if a new DC is brought in from the outside, I'd find it hard to believe that he'd suddenly be offended at not being offered the DC job and want to leave. And even then for that scenario to be worst case you have to assume Richt wouldn't be able to find a comparable replacement for Kool.

If Richt thinks he's the best man for the job so be it, but to put him in an important position he isn't suited for just to keep him on the staff when there are better options out there would be a mistake IMO.

We don't even know if he'd be a good coordinator. I prefer we keep him at DL coach where he is amazing and try and pry another proven coordinator if/when Manny leaves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back