Coach Harbaugh

FIUMCane

Junior
Lost to Michigan State his first year (2015) in a similar fashion (if not more heart breaking).

"2015 October 17, 2015: the game was played in Ann Arbor for the first time since 2012. The #12 Wolverines, led by first-year coach Jim Harbaugh, entered the game 5–1. The #7 Spartans came into the game 6–0. This was the first meeting of coaches Mark Dantonio and Jim Harbaugh. Michigan scored first and never trailed all the way until the final play of the game. Late in the 4th quarter, with the Wolverines leading 23-21, Michigan State drove into field goal range, but a sack pushed them outside the 40. They failed to convert on 4th and long, giving Michigan the ball and seemingly the victory. However, with 10 seconds left in the game, Michigan was faced with a 4th and short and decided to punt. Michigan State pressured with all 11 defenders while Michigan sent players downfield to cover the punt. The numeric mismatch on the line allowed easy penetration while the Wolverine center quick snapped a low ball bobbled by the punter. The ball was caught by Spartans, and the victors ran the ball in 38 yards for a touchdown. Michigan State did not lead at any point in the game until time expired, but they out gained Michigan in the contest 386 to 230 yards" wiki

Yes I understand Michigan state wasn't struggling at the time the way Florida state was struggling before our game. But my point is, when Michigan meets Michigan state at the end of the month, a little over a year later, Michigan will most likely be ranked in the top 5 and Michigan state will be unranked. No reason not to think that won't be the scenario next year when we play Florida state.

Mark Richt was still the best hire and will out recruit jimbo (who may not be there next year) and we're finally getting an IPF. In his first 5 games he has done more for this program than Golden did in 5 years. He will adjust and we will get better.

Next game is do or die. Let's get it! Cheer up boys

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good point, but --

Harbaugh works to his personnel. He is a pro-style guru, who happily changed it up and went to a Super Bowl running a read option with a mobile QB. The best player on his team, Jabril Peppers, also returns kicks and punts.

Richt gotta show me something on that Offense, bc that play calling was absurd. I don't say this in jest, but Coley called a better game than him than the last two seasons.

Good point, but --

Harbaugh works to his personnel. He is a pro-style guru, who happily changed it up and went to a Super Bowl running a read option with a mobile QB. The best player on his team, Jabril Peppers, also returns kicks and punts.

Richt gotta show me something on that Offense, bc that play calling was absurd. I don't say this in jest, but Coley called a better game than him than the last two seasons.

Gonna have to agree with this.

To put things into perspective
Harbaugh was 12-3 his first year at Michigan
Saban was 7-6 his first year at Alabama and only one perfect season.
Jimmy Johnson was 8-5 the first year here
And for all the BBB he was 8-3 the first year here
So a one point lost to FSU in his first year is to soon to pass judgement on MR

Advertisement
Lost to Michigan State his first year (2015) in a similar fashion (if not more heart breaking).

"2015 October 17, 2015: the game was played in Ann Arbor for the first time since 2012. The #12 Wolverines, led by first-year coach Jim Harbaugh, entered the game 5–1. The #7 Spartans came into the game 6–0. This was the first meeting of coaches Mark Dantonio and Jim Harbaugh. Michigan scored first and never trailed all the way until the final play of the game. Late in the 4th quarter, with the Wolverines leading 23-21, Michigan State drove into field goal range, but a sack pushed them outside the 40. They failed to convert on 4th and long, giving Michigan the ball and seemingly the victory. However, with 10 seconds left in the game, Michigan was faced with a 4th and short and decided to punt. Michigan State pressured with all 11 defenders while Michigan sent players downfield to cover the punt. The numeric mismatch on the line allowed easy penetration while the Wolverine center quick snapped a low ball bobbled by the punter. The ball was caught by Spartans, and the victors ran the ball in 38 yards for a touchdown. Michigan State did not lead at any point in the game until time expired, but they out gained Michigan in the contest 386 to 230 yards" wiki

Yes I understand Michigan state wasn't struggling at the time the way Florida state was struggling before our game. But my point is, when Michigan meets Michigan state at the end of the month, a little over a year later, Michigan will most likely be ranked in the top 5 and Michigan state will be unranked. No reason not to think that won't be the scenario next year when we play Florida state.

Mark Richt was still the best hire and will out recruit jimbo (who may not be there next year) and we're finally getting an IPF. In his first 5 games he has done more for this program than Golden did in 5 years. He will adjust and we will get better.

Why bring up Harbaugh's first game against his biggest rival while ignoring Richt's? Mark lost against UF his 1st try and went on to lose 3 in a row and 8 out 10...

Good point, but --

This 1000%

Why bring up Harbaugh's first game against his biggest rival while ignoring Richt's? Mark lost against UF his 1st try and went on to lose 3 in a row and 8 out 10...

Because I wasn't trying to compare Richt to Harbaugh. I was simply trying to compare the situation of both programs and compare the feelings of both fan bases after losing to their biggest in state rival. I couldn't care less about GA or UF.

Just trying to put a little positivity into this whole situation. The season is not lost.

Advertisement
Back