CNNSI ACC Spring preview

View as article

VinnDogg

Senior
http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/stewa...ring-primer/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a5

Miami: Where does one begin? After losing both a large senior class and a national-high eight NFL early entrants, second-year coach Al Golden will be breaking in new faces across the board. First, the good news: Projected starting quarterback Stephen Morris has game experience, though he's out this spring following back surgery. Also, last year's slew of NCAA suspensions allowed for several projected 2012 defensive starters to gain experience. And eight members of Golden's acclaimed 2012 recruiting class will get a head start this spring. Now, the bad news: The 'Canes are all but starting over at running back, receiver, defensive line and linebacker and lack depth on the offensive line. With such a massive rebuilding project, it will be interesting to see whether Golden goes all-in on the youth movement, relying heavily on his touted first- and second-year players.

Advertisement
What planet is Mandel on?

The DLine is starting all over? The DLine hasn't had a consistent starting lineup in years. A Porter/Smith middle is pure beef and will be solid. Linebacker is returning a ton of guys that got a lot of burn. Spence is the only one (big loss) that left, so how is it starting over? The presumed starting LBs (Buchanon, Gaines, Perryman) all started multiple times.

Everyone talks about 14 starters gone. Let's not forget that those 14 starters and graduations include Mike Williams, Chase Ford, Marcus Forston, Olivier Vernon, Ojomo, Harland Gunn, sometimes Calhoun, Marcus Robinson - there are a ton that really didn't produce squat. Last year especially.

I think it's addition by subtraction. There are at least 4 kids coming in that are better than Lee Chambers and Mike Williams.

We aren't gonna be BCS bowling, but we won't be any worse than 2011, particularly on Defense. Offense lost a lot of production, though.

Advertisement
I personally think Gaines is a dark horse here with Cain as well. These are two guys that have gotten a fair amount of PT and are only going to get better in year 2 in the new system. Lets not forget that Gaines is super young, this kid still has soo much upside in my mind. I personally think if Buch is not 100% right at the start of fall ball he may not see the field. Just my .02

What planet is Mandel on?

The DLine is starting all over? The DLine hasn't had a consistent starting lineup in years. A Porter/Smith middle is pure beef and will be solid. Linebacker is returning a ton of guys that got a lot of burn. Spence is the only one (big loss) that left, so how is it starting over? The presumed starting LBs (Buchanon, Gaines, Perryman) all started multiple times.

Everyone talks about 14 starters gone. Let's not forget that those 14 starters and graduations include Mike Williams, Chase Ford, Marcus Forston, Olivier Vernon, Ojomo, Harland Gunn, sometimes Calhoun, Marcus Robinson - there are a ton that really didn't produce squat. Last year especially.

I think it's addition by subtraction. There are at least 4 kids coming in that are better than Lee Chambers and Mike Williams.

We aren't gonna be BCS bowling, but we won't be any worse than 2011, particularly on Defense. Offense lost a lot of production, though.

Here's the problem with your theory; those guys didnt do squat, yet no one was able to supplant them. Sure, we have some young pups with potential, but they are an unknown commodity that couldn't unseat a known crappy commodity last year. I have no problem with his lineup except I would have added CB to the list of positions starting over.

Starting over at RB? Doesn't matter we got the Duke :fistbump:

I found that funny as well, considering James got a lot of playing time last year and some the year before, and Clements got some looks too. Far from starting over.

Also, I like our depth on the OL, I think that's the only position we actually have depth after RB.

Advertisement
I personally think Gaines is a dark horse here with Cain as well. These are two guys that have gotten a fair amount of PT and are only going to get better in year 2 in the new system. Lets not forget that Gaines is super young, this kid still has soo much upside in my mind. I personally think if Buch is not 100% right at the start of fall ball he may not see the field. Just my .02

hmmm, I think I will be happy if I never see these two guys on the field again. they are sorry at this point. they are young and could get better, but I dont think they'll ever be as good as we need our LBs to be if we want to be National contenders. I hope the younger guys make sure these two stay on the bench

Advertisement
As much as I love the Hurricanes and try my best to stay informed, truth is, you guys are the ones that provide the bulk of true Cane fan insight.

If I may make an analogy, last year we had many unproductive 'starters.' Searching for consistent productive players was like picking pepper out of fly **it.

This year, many turds are gone. Even though we have a lot of young stuff in the herd, because of recruiting a different breed, I'd say rather than trying to find pepper in the fly **it, this year we may be struggling to pick out the fly **it out of the pepper.

A significantly improved situation.

Advertisement
Back