Class Impact: Laurence Seymore to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Miami Central OL Laurence Seymore committed to the Canes last weekend on his Underclassman Day visit to Miami.

The 6-3, 290-pounder has no national ranking, as the recruiting services have not yet ranked the current freshman class. As such, there are no class rankings available either.

The Player

A true mammoth road grader, Seymore was already creeping up to 300 pounds as a freshman at Miami Central. He got work at both guard and tackle for a deep Central offensive line as a freshman, something that is not easy to do. Seymore also saw time on the defensive line, but Miami is recruiting him on offense for now. He is a really fierce run blocker and Seymore has an adept initial punch and blows his man off the ball with ease.

In a perfect world, he’d be more refined as a pass blocker already, but he has plenty of time to tune that up. As with many young linemen, Seymore will have to continue to develop his body for the next level and keep off baby fat, but that’s not much of a concern at this time. There’s not many top level lineman in South Florida so the ones that do emerge, you have to keep home, and that’s what Miami has done here. Seymore is a likely 4-star recruit with 5-star potential, and sports other early offers from South Carolina and FAU, in addition to UM.

The Class

Seymore just missed out on becoming the first commit in the class, as James Williams committed to the coaches mere minutes before. By all accounts, the two are ready to be the ambassadors of this class, which may seem inconsequential, but can make a big difference at the end of the day. Top recruits are more likely to play with other players that they respect as leaders or elite talents. Seymore was identified as a top target back in June of 2017 before he even started his freshman year of high school, and the coaches offered him then. Stacy Searels did a good job convincing him to stay home and Seymore pledged to the coaching staff last weekend at Underclassman Day.

Being nearly three years from the class of 2021’s signing day, it’s difficult to accurately predict how the numbers will shake out for this class with so many variables still undetermined. The Canes have done a good job recruiting and redshirting on the offensive line in recent years, so there’ll still be six O-Linemen from the current roster that will be around when Seymore makes it to campus. Obviously, Miami will be taking multiple offensive linemen in the 2019 and 2020 classes as well to help balance the numbers.

The Team

The offensive line has been a problem area for what seems like years at Miami, and the Canes have to continue to stack classes and keep studs like Seymore home for that to change. Assuming there’s no attrition, those from the current roster that will still be on campus when Seymore arrives in 2021 are Kai-Leon Herbert, Zalon’tae Hillery, Zach Dykstra, Delone Scaife, John Campbell, Cleveland Reed. In 2019, Miami has commitments from Brandon Cunningham and Kingsley Eguakun on the offensive line, and there are sure to be more additions there and in Category20 as well.

It’ll take some time before we can really get a true grasp on if Seymore will be a guard or tackle UM. There’s also always the possibility he ends up on the defensive line as well. Regardless, Seymore will likely take his freshman year to work his way into the rotation and develop his technique and body for the rigors of the college game. By his sophomore season in 2022, there’s a good chance Seymore is battling to start.

Advertisement
Jesus Christ....2021?!? I know...I know...you are just reporting the news, but ****, that is a long time from now...

On a positive note, seems like Richt's community outreach the last 2 years to the young kids in middle school etc. is starting to pay off recruiting-wise

Always happy when we get quality OL - especially from our backyard.

Whoever that is in the picture on the far right looks bigger than Donaldson - and that's not easy to do.

Whoever that is in the picture on the far right looks bigger than Donaldson - and that's not easy to do.

I think thats who this article is talking about.

Advertisement
Jesus Christ....2021?!? I know...I know...you are just reporting the news, but ****, that is a long time from now...

On a positive note, seems like Richt's community outreach the last 2 years to the young kids in middle school etc. is starting to pay off recruiting-wise

At my age, my birthday feels like it comes around every six months. 2021 will be right around the corner.

He’s closer to camera though, look at the shadows on the ground

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back