Class Impact: Daran Branch to Miami

Advertisement
Told 247 his doors are still open to others that want to recruit him and that him and Baker have that understanding. Oklahoma's recruiting him and trying to get him on campus.

“I look at it as I’m not going to turn anybody down,” he explained. “I’m committed to Miami, but my door is still open because – like I tell everybody and even me and Coach Baker even have this understanding – things happen, you know?”"

Told 247 his doors are still open to others that want to recruit him and that him and Baker have that understanding. Oklahoma's recruiting him and trying to get him on campus.

“I look at it as I’m not going to turn anybody down,” he explained. “I’m committed to Miami, but my door is still open because – like I tell everybody and even me and Coach Baker even have this understanding – things happen, you know?”"

Everytime one of these threads get a bump i get a little sick feeling for a few mins

Advertisement

Falls in line with how we force kids into early commitments and allow them to look around. Rather do it the Dabo way

Well, he also said that he will be visiting soon, that he has a group chat with the others Miami commits and that he is in contact with Baker.

That wasn't the whole interview. Here's the rest of what he said:

Branch has formed a strong bond with Baker having known the defensive coordinator since the coach’s days at Lousiana Tech.
“I love Coach Baker,” he said. “He’s a great coach, a great guy and a great man. Period.”
Baker however isn’t the only staffer Branch likes at Miami.
“They are all great men,” he said. “I can sit there and talk with them about life and not just football. We all know I can ball and I know they can coach, but when it comes down to real life situations I know I can depend on them to be there for me.”
While distance has prevented Branch from visiting campus since the spring months, he has managed to keep in contact with the rest his recruiting class.

“We have actually made a group chat with all of us and we have been talking and having a few discussions. I think we have a great class. Especially on defense.”

About Oklahoma:
They are trying to get me out there [the weekend of July 26th], but I told them that I’m already scheduled to be at Miami.”
Branch isn’t sure if he will take an official visit to Oklahoma, but said that he’s hoping to take his official visit to Miami at some point during the season as he’s eager to watch the Hurricanes in action.

Advertisement
Haven't felt like he was going to stick for awhile, which is why I've kept asking if he's a Safety or CB in this class.

Baker knows he's looking around as well & so are we, it's basically a situation where we'll take him if we don't find anybody else, but he's not somebody that you hold a spot for, he's still a take, but he's also replaceable.

Oklahoma has Ryan Watts at CB & Bryson Washington at S committed, but they're also after Jacobe Covington out of AZ & Darian Green-Warren at CB (Green is probably going to USC though). So it remains to be seen if he's even a take for Okla but if he is, there's no reason we shouldn't offer & start recruiting Dontae Manning, or DJ Warnell or several other DB prospects. **** I would still go after Jalen Harrell from Central even though he really loves FSU & seems 100% locked in, that can still change.

Also you have to remember, we didn't get Christian Williams till January last year, we'll keep recruiting other kids all year long because recruits change their minds all the time, coaches on other teams get let go or get new jobs & kids second guess their early commitments if the team they're committed to has a bad season.

It's real simple, Never Stop Crootin'.

I’m sick of using the word commitment for these half-hearted commitments. They need a better designation for guys who still have “the door open.”
I don’t believe in using the term commitment anymore in the recruiting context. It’s meaningless and without any enforcement mechanisms. It’s like an illusory thing. They should just rename it as a team “Lean” so that it’s put in proper perspective.

Advertisement
Haven't felt like he was going to stick for awhile, which is why I've kept asking if he's a Safety or CB in this class.

Baker knows he's looking around as well & so are we, it's basically a situation where we'll take him if we don't find anybody else, but he's not somebody that you hold a spot for, he's still a take, but he's also replaceable.

Oklahoma has Ryan Watts at CB & Bryson Washington at S committed, but they're also after Jacobe Covington out of AZ & Darian Green-Warren at CB (Green is probably going to USC though). So it remains to be seen if he's even a take for Okla but if he is, there's no reason we shouldn't offer & start recruiting Dontae Manning, or DJ Warnell or several other DB prospects. **** I would still go after Jalen Harrell from Central even though he really loves FSU & seems 100% locked in, that can still change.

Also you have to remember, we didn't get Christian Williams till January last year, we'll keep recruiting other kids all year long because recruits change their minds all the time, coaches on other teams get let go or get new jobs & kids second guess their early commitments if the team they're committed to has a bad season.

It's real simple, Never Stop Crootin'.
I think he is a striker for us along with Washington. If I had to guess staff probably wants another safety and they see tennison and William's as long shots to land if I had to guess they might go after brian balom. So it would be Francois and balom at safety's. Hodges and clarke/george at corner. Then Washington at striker

I don’t believe in using the term commitment anymore in the recruiting context. It’s meaningless and without any enforcement mechanisms. It’s like an illusory thing. They should just rename it as a team “Lean” so that it’s put in proper perspective.
Lean is a perfect word and that’s what I’m going with from this point forward.

Advertisement

Much respect for this kid being transparent with Baker.

I can't blame a kid for wanted to see what's out there. I look at this as we all should in our professional lives - you can be happy with your job but shouldn't ever stop looking at what's out there.

I think he is a striker for us along with Washington. If I had to guess staff probably wants another safety and they see tennison and William's as long shots to land if I had to guess they might go after brian balom. So it would be Francois and balom at safety's. Hodges and clarke/george at corner. Then Washington at striker
My only question with him being a Striker is that he's barely 170lbs (unless he's put on more weight since his last measurements) & Striker is more of a Hybrid Safety/LB position, Branch has only played CB/S.

Unless they see him in the same vein as Frierson, I don't see Branch playing Striker in this Defense.

Baker was recruiting him at La Tech to play Safety, I could be wrong but he don't look like a Striker to me.

Lean is a perfect word and that’s what I’m going with from this point forward.
If they interviewed these kids and instead of asking about where they are committed, they asked where they are leaning, a kid could say he’s leaning to Miami at this time and taking visits to Baga and UGA. No one who has a semi-normal brain could get mad. All they would be saying is they have a favorite at this time and going through the process.

Advertisement
Back