Class Impact: Allan Haye to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Chaminade-Madonna DT Allan Haye committed to Miami on Wednesday morning.

The 6-1 295 pounder is currently a consensus 3-star prospect in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite Ranking, Haye is the #801 player nationally in 2021, the #43 DT in the country, and the #113 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment moved UM’s class ranking on 247Sports up to #9 in the nation and to #11 on Rivals.

The Player

UM has built a strong pipeline with Chaminade-Madonna in recent years and Haye has helped to continue that; he is the third commitment from the Lions so far in the 2021 class, joining RB Thad Franklin and K Andres Borregales, while UM also signed three players from the school in the 2019 class (S Keontra Smith, CB Te’Cory Couch, and DE Cameron Williams). The Canes offered Haye in January after a strong junior season, and Haye immediately followed that up with a visit for UM’s junior day two weeks later. From then on, Miami seemed to be in the driver’s seat with Haye, and a strong bond with DL coach Todd Stroud helped to lock him up. Haye chose Miami over offers from Iowa State, Louisville, NC State, Kentucky, and Pitt.

Haye was previously a star basketball player before making the switch to football, and has only been playing the game for 2 years. Stout, low-to-the ground build allows him to play with great pad level. Profiles as a run plug looking at his body type, but sports surprising twitch and pass rushing acumen for an interior prospect. Strong and effective hands at the point of attack. The raw power is legit, and he was the only DT to knock back Miami OL commit Laurence Seymore at the Under Armour Miami Camp this year. High motor/effort player that shows willingness to make hustle plays downfield when able, impressive for a player of his size and position. Noted film junkie, something that will be an asset to him in trying to reach his ceiling. Just scratching the surface of what he could be right now and has room to grow.

In 2019, Haye registered 68 tackles, 8 TFL, and 6 sacks working on the interior of the D-Line during his junior season as Chaminade took home another state title.

The Class

Haye becomes the 11th commitment and 2nd defensive tackle in the 2021 class, joining Miami Palmetto (FL) 4-star DT Savion Collins. However, Collins has made no secret of the fact that he is a very soft pledge to Miami right now, telling media how he is looking for a strong year on the field for UM or else he will likely sign with another school, so it’s hard to rely on him sticking at this stage. Therefore, even with UM likely looking to take just two DT’s this cycle, Miami is certainly going to continue recruiting the position.

The Canes have been shooting high to potentially round out their class at DT, but they aren’t really sitting in a strong position with anyone right now. First up, UM has put focus on two 5-star interior lineman: Miami Palmetto (FL) DT Leonard Taylor and Terrebonne (LA) DT Maason Smith.

Taylor is a local prospect that seemingly eliminated Miami in December by releasing a top 5 without the Canes, only for the staff to convince him to show up on campus for UM’s junior day event in January, which ended up being huge due to the school lockdowns that happened weeks later. Auburn and UF also got visits before the shutdowns, and Taylor also told CIS last month that LSU, UGA, Tennessee, and Texas A&M were still involved with him in addition to UM. With a current plan to decide in December, there’s still a long way to go in this recruitment, but most see the Gators as having the early edge for Taylor.

As for Smith, he visited Miami over the summer for Paradise Camp and put UM in his top 10 in October, but, unless he gets back on campus in the near future, should be seen as a pipe-dream mixed with a longshot; LSU is far out in front here.

Elsewhere, St. Peters Prep (NJ) 4-star George Rooks is another prospect to keep an eye on, and was planning to make a spring visit to UM before the shutdowns. He hasn’t been the most active in terms of taking visits over the past year, so Rooks seems pretty open right now. Another New Jersey prospect, Bergen Catholic 4-star DT Tywone Malone, visited for Paradise Camp last summer and has been considering a follow up visit; Ohio State are the frontrunners right now.

Miami has also been interested in flipping a pair of Gators commits as well: Tyreak Sapp from St. Thomas (FL) and Christopher Thomas from Dunbar (FL). Sapp has continued to show up at various Miami events over the past year despite his commitment, while Thomas visited UM for junior day as well.

The Canes are recruiting jumbo defensive ends Boone (FL) 4-star Shambre Jackson and Jefferson (OR) 4-star Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge as swingmen type prospects that could potentially end up on the interior, and UM made Jackson’s top 13 while Rawlins-Kibonge called Miami his dream school earlier this month. Neither has visited Miami, but both have shown interest in doing so following the end of the quarantine. Miami has been putting out tons of new offers across the board this spring, but only one has gone to a DT: Ramsay (AL) 4-star Tim Keenan, who hasn’t shown much interest in UM since.

The Team

The defensive tackle position at Miami last season was a solid, if unspectacular, group that held the point of attack in run-support, but didn’t make many impact plays in the backfield. Still, the group has untapped potential. Jonathan Ford is a returning starter at one spot that still has room to improve, and he is expected to be joined in the lineup by Nesta Silvera, whom many see as the UM DT with the most potential for a huge season after sitting out most of last year with an injury. Behind them, Jordan Miller showed flashes in very limited playing time in 2019 and looks to take another step forward in his development, while the three redshirt freshmen (Jalar Holley, Jason Blissett, and Jared Harrison-Hunte) will battle it out in camp for the #4 role. True freshman Elijah Roberts is a swingman type DL that is expected to start out at DE before moving to DT sometime down the line.

By the time Haye arrives in 2021, Ford will be gone, opening up a large spot in the rotation to be filled. All of the other returning players at DT have potential, but haven’t yet proven at this point that they can relied on for a full season of high-level play. So, in theory, there will be playing time available for both Haye and his classmate Collins during year 1, but Haye profiles as a prospect that would really benefit from a redshirt season to continue to develop his game and body, which is something UM needs to be doing more often on the line. By his second year at UM, Haye could be competing for a regular role in the rotation and, with his upside, has the potential to become an impact starter by the end of his career.

Advertisement
First up, UM has put focus on two 5-star interior lineman: Miami Palmetto (FL) DT Leonard Taylor and Terrebonne (LA) DT Maason Smith.

Guys, is it just me, but who do we think we are??? We're not there yet To even put recruiting energy in a 5 star kid (not to mention a 5* out of LA at that) coming off a 6-7 season, we've got to be smarter than that. Put the full court press on 4* and high 3* guys with upside, get our class needs filled up, and then take a swing at some local 5* star kids who might want to stay home once they see us having a successful season. But to be passing out an offer to a 5* kid out of LA coming off the year where LSU won the chip, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, in a year or two, we definitely will be there. I believe in CMD, his handling of not flinching at seasons end and immediately moving Enos and switching to the Spread principles paints a picture that he's very dedicated to doing whatever it takes to get us back to being a winning program (10+per year).

First up, UM has put focus on two 5-star interior lineman: Miami Palmetto (FL) DT Leonard Taylor and Terrebonne (LA) DT Maason Smith.

Guys, is it just me, but who do we think we are??? We're not there yet To even put recruiting energy in a 5 star kid (not to mention a 5* out of LA at that) coming off a 6-7 season, we've got to be smarter than that. Put the full court press on 4* and high 3* guys with upside, get our class needs filled up, and then take a swing at some local 5* star kids who might want to stay home once they see us having a successful season. But to be passing out an offer to a 5* kid out of LA coming off the year where LSU won the chip, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, in a year or two, we definitely will be there. I believe in CMD, his handling of not flinching at seasons end and immediately moving Enos and switching to the Spread principles paints a picture that he's very dedicated to doing whatever it takes to get us back to being a winning program (10+per year).

I think a Lashlee offense gets us to 10 wins and the Coastal. Meaning we could be "hot" as early as December... Now, does that mean we get Taylor? No. But you recruit like **** to land Taylor and keep Collins, and maybe the chips fall our way.

I think a Lashlee offense gets us to 10 wins and the Coastal. Meaning we could be "hot" as early as December... Now, does that mean we get Taylor? No. But you recruit like **** to land Taylor and keep Collins, and maybe the chips fall our way.

adding to this you should always recruit the studs still. We wouldn’t have gotten avantae williams last year if we had given up. I realize we haven’t shown much in the past 15 years and of course we need to spread a very wide net with the bags schools setting up shop down here. But you shouldn’t give up. Like Grover said, if we get hot we may surprise with a couple more south Florida studs.

Advertisement

this is a bad take.

So whom do you feel Miami should focus on at Dline for the 2021 class at DT?

Go Canes

Advertisement
adding to this you should always recruit the studs still. We wouldn’t have gotten avantae williams last year if we had given up. I realize we haven’t shown much in the past 15 years and of course we need to spread a very wide net with the bags schools setting up shop down here. But you shouldn’t give up. Like Grover said, if we get hot we may surprise with a couple more south Florida studs.
Exactly. Then a few years from now if we find out they wanted to at least hear from us the same people will curse the staff for not even trying. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back