CIS Mail Bag: Week 7

View as article

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
The CIS Mail Bag: Week 7 is in the books. This week brought a lot of WR talk, looking forward to TVD, a UVA prediction, and talking the Battle of Salamis.

@JD08 (CanesInsight): Will we see Tyler Van Dyke at all during this season? Will he be able to take the reins from King without a depressing drop in production?

I think we have to see him at some point. As I posted on the board earlier this week, I’d love for us to get up big on NC State early and allow TVD to get on the field. However, Lashlee/Diaz need to let him run the offense at the same pace as King and let him throw. If he goes in just to bleed the clock by handing it off every play, I don't consider that quality reps. We’ve seen Perry enough to know what he is and TVD needs some game time to allow for a real QB battle next year, portal pending of course.

If TVD is the starter next year, I see a drop in overall production compared to King, which isn't a slight towards TVD but more of a compliment of King. He doesn’t have the same athleticism as King which has bailed us out quite a bit already this year. The OL should be better with at least 4 starters returning next year but we will still have issues at WR. Live reps will be very important for TVD.

@305407cane (CanesInsight): Who in your opinion between the three starting receivers is the most hopeless?

This is a tough one but I’m going to go with Wiggins. Harley and Pope should both be in the slot and I think they could be somewhat effective in that role. Playing them on the outside is just not what they are built for. All 3 WRs have had their issues with drops and playing less physical than ideal but you can get away with that if you are living in the middle of the field or on bubble screens. After a few seasons, Wiggins appears to be a 1 tricky pony in only being able to run deep posts and hasn’t developed past that. It’s unfortunate that neither of the 3 have emerged as a quality WR at the college level. I do think if we keep using Pope like we did against Pitt that he can salvage his time here and play a quality role in the offense as a 3rd option.

@swampcougar1 (CanesInsight): With 5 games played now how would you put our OL depth chart?

We’ve gotten a pretty decent sample size along with multiple starting lineups this season. The entire OL has had their individual ups and downs but I would start the following: Nelson, Clark, Gaynor, Scaife, and Williams. Campbell has been banged up and has struggled lately after a solid showing early in the year. I’d have him as a swing tackle along with Traore as the first guard off the bench.

@JOE'CANE (CanesInsight): What is the realistic best case scenario for the Canes this season? What is the minimum the Canes have to do in order for this season to be a success? What is your score prediction for Saturday’s game?

Best case scenario for this team is to finish the regular season 10-1 and play Clemson close in the ACC Championship Game. Finishing 10-2 should put us in a good bowl game and then a win over a quality team would give us plenty of offseason momentum to work with. The minimum this team would have to do for this season to be a success is finish 9-2, as a lot of fans projected, but I think a bowl win needs to be included for the season to be a success. Finishing 9-2 and losing a bowl game would feel empty after all the hype. Also, it would be nice to see a win after time off.

My prediction for this Saturday is 41-20 with Miami coming out strong. UVA scores late to make the score not as bad as the actual beating we give them.

@YUMU (CanesInsight): How is Jalen Rivers and Chris Washington progressing? Is Issiah Walker on a Strength and Conditioning program remotely? How is Donaldson looking and is he invested on getting in shape?

The answer to some of these questions only the coaching staff could know. Jalen Rivers did see 2nd team reps against FSU so he appears to be right on track for challenging for a starting spot somewhere on the OL next year. I'd like to be able to see more of him throughout the season if the scoreboard allows. Chris Washington was viewed as a project by many coming in, but there has been some positivity recently about his ability to get on the field sooner than later. I have faith in Feeley as the S&C coach so he will get them stronger.

Walker, just because his waiver was denied, doesn’t mean he can’t be with the team. He just can’t play in games. Feeley should be working his magic with him and having the year off without worrying about playing on Saturdays might be a good thing for him after his exit from UF.

Diaz has said that there is a chance Donaldson could be back later this year. With eligibility not counting this year, if he is able to play, at worst he provides another body for depth. I don't envision him coming back and being in the type of shape needed to play though after his struggles with weight without injuries impacting it. If he is invested will be answered next year as competition will be fierce on Greentree across the OL.

@SpikeUM (CanesInsight): Is your glass half full or half empty?

Half full. We’re right where I thought we would be at this point. In terms of my physical glass, it is currently empty as I just finished lunch.

@djnellz (CanesInsight): Who do you think will stand out and secure the starting positions at WR?

I look at it as 3 starting WRs, 2 on the outside and a slot. I think Harley stays in the slot with Pope getting reps there as well when he’s not on the outside. I have my eye on Keyshawn Smith in terms of stealing a starting spot at some point this year. He’s shown the ability to create separation down the field which is more than the others have at this point. Redding flashed early in the year and we haven’t seen too much from him lately. My end of the season prediction for starting WRs is Wiggins, Smith, Harley.

@ben (CanesInsight): How many marshmallows can you fit in your mouth while still being able to say "chubby bunny"?

@yessirking (CanesInsight): If Miami could replace Manny with any active football coach? Who would you decide and why?

This really is a question of who I prefer at Miami, Saban vs. Dabo as they are at the top of their profession. Dabo has things rolling at Clemson but it’s hard not to say Saban. Saban would be able to keep all the blue chippers home and our defensive backfield would become the best in the nation after 2 recruiting classes. I also think of the WR position and how we would go from not having a #1 alpha type WR to having 4-5 of those guys on the roster. You can say what you want about him but the guy knows how to recruit and win championships. I’d take that type of savagery all day.

@Artist Formerly Known As (CanesInsight): Do you think Manny’s easing off the gas pedal to avoid scoring when it appears we’ve already got the game in hand is a hindrance to this team? Seems to me that’d be valuable time to get backups real reps while also taking the wind out of the team’s sails a bit.

I understand where Manny is coming from in terms of securing the W by easing up and playing a little more conservative while relying on his defense. The most important thing is to not let the other team get back in it and cause an upset. I do agree with you though that I would prefer to let him keep the offense going and score as much as possible as quickly as possible to extend the leads. Let the backups in but as I said earlier, let them run the offense as designed, fast and aggressive.

@Moonman (CanesInsight): Does Zach McCloud run on Windows95...and is that why he takes so long to react to the snap? When was the last time Zach McCloud's operating system was updated?

McCloud’s slow reaction is the biggest mystery of the season so far. After so much time in the system it is perplexing that he would be over thinking as much as he is and it also speaks on some level to the quality of coaching he is receiving. He should be far and away the most productive LB on the roster and is now fighting to stay on the field. It’s possible he was maxed out coming in or after his freshman year, it happens but his progression has been near 0 since 2016.

That said, if we’re equating McCloud’s reaction time with something technological, I’d go with the old American Online dial up.

@SinisterCane (CanesInsight): Are we taking a QB this year and if not then why not?

It would be blasphemy to not take a QB this year in some form, whether it’s from the portal or a recruit. King has an opportunity to come back and if he does, I don’t see all the other QBs sticking around. There’s going to be some type of attrition and not adding a body would put us in a precarious situation in terms of quality depth. Ideally, we land/flip a blue chip recruit and if King leaves, go portal shopping.

@GojiraCane (CanesInsight): Between the three freshmen wide receivers on roster and the incoming wide receivers for the 2021 class, do we potentially have viable candidates to stretch the field next season?

Our current crop of underclassmen WRs and incoming freshmen include: Payton, Redding, Restrepo, K. Smith, Worsham, B. Smith, George, Brinson, and Curtis (maybe). Payton doesn’t seem to be the downfield threat type, not that he can’t be productive for us but I think he would have flashed that in some way at some point. Keyshawn Smith has shown he can get downfield so he is our best bet moving forward but our incoming class should give us a boost in the downfield game, there’s elite speed in that group. Right now, this is the worst this position group will be so brighter days are ahead.

@Dr.Doom (CanesInsight): Any update on Brevin?

No and I take any update from the staff with a grain of salt. The last few years, what’s often described as not serious injuries tend to linger and multiple games missed. Jordan’s injury history is concerning and he’s now in the “injury prone” category. It’s a shame because he is our best pass catcher by far and could really showcase his talent in this offense. We do have a bye week coming up after UVA so it wouldn't surprise me to not see him out there Saturday and try to get him ready for the home stretch.

@RVACane (CanesInsight): Will we beat UVA convincingly enough to get a feel good “Fireside Chat with Your Ever-Lovable Legend” next week?

I believe so. UVA doesn’t have the talent on defense to slow us down like Pitt. I think the run game gets going and King has a bounce back game. Canes win big and the Legend will have a positive chat near his fireplace sipping an expensive glass of scotch.

@CFB_Hogan (CanesInsight): With the recent development of advanced analytics in football and their impact on how teams call plays on game day, what is your take on advanced analytics in football?

There’s a lot of money in winning football games at the college and NFL levels so teams will always look for an edge. In today’s world, that means hiring really smart people to crunch numbers and data to make coaching decisions easier. Analytics aren’t going away and will continue to influence the game in different ways moving forward. Those that embrace the change will have a leg up on their opponents similar to those programs that embraced the “arms race” in terms of facilities and investing boatloads of money. It’ll be interesting to see how far it goes in football but I don't foresee it reaching the level of impact that it has in baseball where it’s almost an entirely analytically driven sport.

@JD08 (CanesInsight): I have a very uneven yard. It's pretty large and there are a few stumps that the mower hits if I drop the blade too low. I have a John Deere 48" riding mower, what height should I set the deck to the get the best looking lawn and minimize the the frequency of my cuts?

As someone who had to deal with an uneven backyard due to tree removal, I feel your pain. Ultimately, I can give you all kinds of advice about the settings for your mower, but you’re not going to get a great and consistent cut until you handle the problem at its root (HAHA!) and have the stumps and roots taken care of in your yard. The damage that could be done to your mower by hitting one of those stumps could be catastrophic, and, based on my extensive experience trying all of them, there are sadly no shortcuts when it comes to having a great lawn. While the expense of taking out the stumps/roots and leveling the ground can be pretty startling, I think you’d be happy with the results and not having to stress every time you cut is priceless.

@Artist Formerly Known As (CanesInsight): Although the Spartan (and Greek) stand at Thermopylae is the symbolic stand against the Persian invasion, why doesn’t the Battle of Salamis get the credit it deserves?

I think what you said is the key to it: what the Spartans and Thespians did at Thermopylae is so symbolic of the classic underdog story for people outside Greece that it has transcended the Greco-Persian wars. The Spartans dying to the last man is a great anecdote for who they were in war, while the Athenians basically outsmarting the Persians doesn’t capture the imagination the same way. In Greece it might be different, but certainly in American culture (which had a long standing love of the underdog) the story of few battling many and dying for what they believe in would be immortalized.

As significant as the Battle of Salamis is, a naval battle doesn’t create the same visceral reaction that the idea of a small group of Greeks standing tall against an overwhelming Persian force would. The ironic thing is that Salamis has tremendous similarities to Thermopylae, and Themistocles’ decision to push to go on the offensive and trick the Persians into battle there likely is the reason that the Allied Greek forces were able to repel that second Persian invasion.

@Artist Formerly Known As (CanesInsight): Do you ever get tired of the research it takes to answer some of the obscure questions you’re asked?

What research?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back