CIS Mail Bag: Week 5

View as article

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
Welcome to the CIS Mail Bag: Week 5 edition. We got a lot of Clemson, kilts, and programming language. Enjoy.

Dan (Twitter): My guess is you can only take away one from Clemson, the vertical passing game or the run game. Missing a starting safety, do you think we will play a lot of shell D or be aggressive and run blitz taking our chances 1 v 1?

Their offense runs through Travis Etienne. He’s, at the moment, their best runner and pass catcher. I think we need to be aggressive and do whatever it takes to hit Etienne in the backfield and take him away in the flats. The downside to that is you leave your CBs on an island against their WRs, which is a risk I’m willing to take at this point. Let the CBs get physical and give the DL/LBs a chance to get home.

Turnover Chain (Twitter): What can Miami do to contain Lawrence?

The only chance Miami has is being able to put pressure on him. Lawrence is terrific against the blitz and our blitz from depth scheme will allow Lawrence to pick us apart. If there was ever a game for the DL to show out, it’s this one. Roche and Phillips need to create havoc off the edge and Nesta/JHH need to be able to create a rush from the interior. Lawrence will still get his but if we can rush 4 and apply pressure, we’ll have a shot.

Steve Kim (Twitter): Is the Clemson game bigger than 2017 Notre Dame?

Yes. Saturday night has ACC title implications and a win against Clemson puts us in the driver’s seat for the playoff. The win against ND was fun and it’s always a good thing to stick it to the domers, but how we ended that season took a little shine off that win. A win against Clemson, with all the changes that were made this offseason, would feel a lot more sustainable than that 2017 season.

@djnellz (CanesInsight): When (if for u pessimistic folk) we win, who would you guess would be the unsung hero of the game?

WHEN we win, the unsung hero for the game could be DJ Ivey. He had a rough start to the year against UAB, but has not been a liability since. The CBs are going to need to step up as the defensive scheme will be centered around stopping Etienne and putting pressure on Lawrence. He knows Frank Ladson from their South Florida days, it’s going to be a fun matchup.

@JD08 (CanesInsight): We see a lot of criticism about our blitz plays, especially the long developing ones. Are there any metrics that show how successful these plays are versus standard coverage?

My extensive research on this topic yielded few results in terms of putting numbers on specific delayed blitz/blitzing from depth statistics. I’ll keep track on Saturday night and try to come up with a final number for you. I don’t see them being effective against a QB the caliber of Lawrence who’s smart enough to find the hole behind the blitz and deliver an accurate ball. I think we’re better off loading the LOS and then sending some defenders while having others drop back.

@Moonman (CanesInsight): Why did Roger Craig and Joe Montana decide to reincarnate at Clemson and how is that possible when they're both still alive?

I can’t speak to the ability of reincarnation but I understand your point. Clemson’s ability to get guaranteed 1st round picks to return to school is incredible in today’s world. This Clemson offense looks a lot different without Etienne and even having a great RB to replace him would be a step down. This is no doubt the best QB/RB combo we’ve faced in a long long time.

@GojiraCane (CanesInsight): Following a Miami win, what negative recruiting strategies will Alabama, LSU, and Florida use when recruiting against us in Florida?

It was raining. Clemson overlooked them. They’re only good because of King and he’s gone next year. They got lucky. But SEC bro!

@KrazyCane (CanesInsight): Does Miami have the talent on the defensive line to cause problems for Clemson‘s oline?

Absolutely. Now, easier said than done as Clemson’s OL is always a well coached unit that plays together. Phillips is that physical freak that has the ability to take over any opponent. Roche is trying to play his way into a high draft pick. Nesta/JHH have really developed. They’ll get some pressure but the key will be can they do it consistently and can they get Lawrence on the ground.

@yessirking (CanesInsight): What UM coach has most improved from 2019 to 2020?

Interesting question which leaves the entire defensive staff plus Hickson and Field. But I’m going to go with Manny Diaz. This team so far has looked different. They’ve come out prepared and have taken care of business, winning 3 games all by double digits. The locker room has improved and this team looks like they’re having fun out there. Big change from last year.

@RVACane (CanesInsight): If Miami beats Clemson with a dominant performance by The King does The King become the Heisman front runner? Also, is @KrazyCane right - “no more strikers!”?

Should Miami win, King has the Heisman on lock. A primetime upset over the #1 team in the country and a win over the golden child would cause the King hype to become something we haven't seen here in a long time. He would have to finish the season relatively strong but the trophy would be his.

KrazyCane is wrong, but that’s only because we don’t have many other options. Gil and K. Smith have played well and against a team like Clemson, I think we could see both of them on the field at the same time. On passing downs, I think you need to take Jennings off of the field and add someone with more speed. We don’t have experienced options at safety, especially with Gurvan Hall suspended for a half and we only have 3 CBs that should be seeing the field at this point.

@TerragonSix (CanesInsight): Should our focus be more about stopping Lawrence or Etienne?

Etienne. He’s the focal point of this offense both on the ground and through the air. It’s crazy to think that the opposing quarterback is a lock to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft and he won't be the best player on the field. The odds of us stopping either one aren't very good but hopefully we can contain him.

@Luke Caneswalker (CanesInsight): Can this team handle the big game hangover? Win or lose our performance against Pitt is more telling of who we are imo.

I’m with you on this one. Win or lose against Clemson, we’re going to learn a lot about this team on Saturday night but I think we’ll learn more the following week against Pitt. Don’t forget, that’s a noon game which this team isn’t used to (unlike a certain jort wearing school up North). We just can’t let whatever happens on Saturday ruin the rest of the season. Even with a loss, this team knows that if they win out, they can get a rematch in December. I’m confident they can avoid the hangover.

@SinisterCane (CanesInsight): Is Pope on a short leash as a Punt returner due to fumbles and Harley/Pope as the starting WR's due to drops?

He better be in terms of the punt returner. 2 fumbles in 3 games is unacceptable and I think it says more about the state of the roster that we don’t have another option to go with. Gurvan Hall has been our #2 and he’s a fair catch it every time type guy. Gone are the days of having explosive playmakers back there. Harley/Pope are going to get a chance to redeem themselves. This coaching staff has stuck with them despite the large amount of drops and hopefully they turn the corner. If we continue to have drops against Clemson, we’re not going to win.

@305407cane (CanesInsight): Who is your pick for punt returner if you had the choice? Should we play Smith and Gilbert together?

Restrepo. Kid looks fearless and we need a guy who isn’t intimidated by the moment each time he has to catch the ball.

Absolutely. While they certainly shouldn’t always be in there together, having two players who have speed, can run the alley, and will hit whoever gets the ball is something that can give us an advantage. If there’s been anything that’s caused us grief on defense this year, it’s been a lack of speed on the second level. If we’re married to having 44 or 53 out there in the middle for as many snaps as they get, flanking them with more speed can help mitigate any issues as the lack of athleticism inside may cause.

@SpikeUM (CanesInsight): When should we use Hispanics vs. Latinos?

Hispanic refers to native Spanish speakers (or Spanish-speaking ancestors) and Latinos refers to anyone with Latin American origin. For example, Brazilians are considered Latino but not Hispanic due to speaking Portuguese. I think...

@JeddTheFisch (CanesInsight): Should we leave massive dumps in Clemson's locker room, or clean up after ourselves?

Ask Ed Reed.

@CaneLife93 (CanesInsight): We hear from the experts “is Miami any good or are the teams they faced just overhyped”? When Miami beats Clemson, what’s going to be the next excuse from the pundits?

While other fans will have plenty of excuses, if Miami beats Clemson, the national media and pundits are going to be fighting to get on the bandwagon. Good thing we have our seats already.

@Carolinacane83 (CanesInsight): What is the story with Payton, can we expect him to be a full participant Saturday? That room needs competition.

The WR room certainly needs the competition. Payton has the tools to be a #1 type WR but we need to see the results on the field. His absence last game was unusual, but with Covid issues rumored you just never know. If he is cleared, which sounds like he is, what better time to step than against the #1 team in the country.

@TheOriginalCane (CanesInsight): Where did D.RevLee go? And will he please stay there?

He is rumored to be locked in a basement somewhere putting together the greatest highlight reel ever assembled. As far as his return, ask @RVACane , he has the key.

@Canedog (CanesInsight): Versailles or La Carita?

La Carreta. When you google La Carita, that first song that pops up makes your ears hurt. Try it.

@k9cane (CanesInsight): Do you agree that that 'Champion' made our best looking jersey (in the mid-80's to mid-90's) before Nike took over?

I think the Russell Athletic Era definitely fits in as a favorite for a lot of us who were born into it and appreciate the nostalgia of those great teams. It was a simple look appropriate for the times, but there was also an edge to it with the unique color combination and that badass reddish-orange hue that Nike and Adidas have never quite been able to replicate perfectly. So in terms of traditional look, yes, I would agree that those unis are our best looking, and the most likely ones to be viewed positively in any generation because of their classic aesthetic.

That being said, I do think Nike started strong, as I am always going to be a fan of the late 90s unis with the shadowbox numbers and, of course, the early 00s unis. While they certainly aren’t traditional, the latter unis are so synonymous with greatness that I don’t think I could ever think negatively about them. Nike was just a disaster as the years went on, however.

@ddann (CanesInsight): In the film Braveheart why were the Scots depicted wearing kilts when the kilt was not in widespread use in William Wallace’s day? When it was finally invented and was widely adopted, what advantages did the kilt confer upon Scottish men, and how might these advantages serve as parallels to how the Canes have benefitted from adopting a spread offense under offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee?

“Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story” is a little lesson that I learned a long time ago when it came to getting people to listen to you or, in this case, watch your feature film about Scotland and its classic warrior hero. The fact that the real Wallace would not have worn kilts (rather, lame yellow tunics, possibly covered in horse urine) or the signature blue war paint is something that very few viewers have ever cared about because the image of the film is largely what viewers would expect to see of medieval Scotland. Matching expectations is often a more powerful tool to gain buy-in than trying to explain to people that their expectations are wrong.

As for the value of the kilt, I think that’s obvious: versatility and freedom of movement. While trousers could easily get damp and muddy while walking through the marshes and could easily constrict movement if not made well, the kilt allowed for soldiers to stretch and bend to their heart’s content. Anyone who has ever gone through a skinny jeans phase knows how touch and go certain movements can be when constricted. As someone who wore basketball shorts through roughly 90% of the quarantine, including endless work zooms, I understand totally the value of free movement. In addition, the kilts could easily be dropped during battle (for when you just need to fight naked) and used as blankets during cold weather, an ever present threat.

Just like with kilts, Rhett Lashlee’s versatile, intuitive offense allows for so much more freedom for our key playmakers. Think back to Brevin Jordan’s first TD run last week, how often did you see our biggest receiving threat wide open like that last year? Or for Cam Harris, how often did the defenses stand frozen, worried about a QB while Cam leisurely strolled around the edge for a 50+ yard score? What Lashlee does is give his players space to make plays while allowing D’Eriq King the freedom to lead the charge. Plus, being equally adept at the run and the pass means that we can all sleep easier at night knowing we won’t get stuck in the mud trying to run any archaic offenses.

@JD08 (CanesInsight): With a lot of open source programming languages, specifically R and Python, we see they have a lot of complexity regarding installation and error resolution and seem to be geared toward Linux users. Do you think that as R becomes more widespread as the preferred software for statistics over SAS, there will be a push for an easier implementation?

R’s advantage of being open source certainly offers the opportunity to incredible growth and the community helping to develop it further seems to be a bustling one, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s a wide open door for new users. Ultimately, making implementation easier would depend on the existing community making it a priority, which would require a great deal of effort to do something that isn’t tremendously valuable in the short term. In fact, one might consider the fact that more general mastery of the language might make those who know it best less valuable.

SAS and other languages that are more old school have their drawbacks through the annual licenses, and would also likely have less push to fulfill the requests of their users who may not have the desire to learn a more complex language. So while there are negatives, one must also consider the fact that SAS isn’t as likely to have as many obstacles for new users trying to break into the field. That alone keeps it alive, much in the same way that Photoshop still stands as the most commonly used photo editing software despite there being several capable open source options.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Welcome to the CIS Mail Bag: Week 5 edition. We got a lot of Clemson, kilts, and programming language. Enjoy.

Dan (Twitter): My guess is you can only take away one from Clemson, the vertical passing game or the run game. Missing a starting safety, do you think we will play a lot of shell D or be aggressive and run blitz taking our chances 1 v 1?

Their offense runs through Travis Etienne. He’s, at the moment, their best runner and pass catcher. I think we need to be aggressive and do whatever it takes to hit Etienne in the backfield and take him away in the flats. The downside to that is you leave your CBs on an island against their WRs, which is a risk I’m willing to take at this point. Let the CBs get physical and give the DL/LBs a chance to get home.

Turnover Chain (Twitter): What can Miami do to contain Lawrence?

The only chance Miami has is being able to put pressure on him. Lawrence is terrific against the blitz and our blitz from depth scheme will allow Lawrence to pick us apart. If there was ever a game for the DL to show out, it’s this one. Roche and Phillips need to create havoc off the edge and Nesta/JHH need to be able to create a rush from the interior. Lawrence will still get his but if we can rush 4 and apply pressure, we’ll have a shot.

Steve Kim (Twitter): Is the Clemson game bigger than 2017 Notre Dame?

Yes. Saturday night has ACC title implications and a win against Clemson puts us in the driver’s seat for the playoff. The win against ND was fun and it’s always a good thing to stick it to the domers, but how we ended that season took a little shine off that win. A win against Clemson, with all the changes that were made this offseason, would feel a lot more sustainable than that 2017 season.

@djnellz (CanesInsight): When (if for u pessimistic folk) we win, who would you guess would be the unsung hero of the game?

WHEN we win, the unsung hero for the game could be DJ Ivey. He had a rough start to the year against UAB, but has not been a liability since. The CBs are going to need to step up as the defensive scheme will be centered around stopping Etienne and putting pressure on Lawrence. He knows Frank Ladson from their South Florida days, it’s going to be a fun matchup.

@JD08 (CanesInsight): We see a lot of criticism about our blitz plays, especially the long developing ones. Are there any metrics that show how successful these plays are versus standard coverage?

My extensive research on this topic yielded few results in terms of putting numbers on specific delayed blitz/blitzing from depth statistics. I’ll keep track on Saturday night and try to come up with a final number for you. I don’t see them being effective against a QB the caliber of Lawrence who’s smart enough to find the hole behind the blitz and deliver an accurate ball. I think we’re better off loading the LOS and then sending some defenders while having others drop back.

@Moonman (CanesInsight): Why did Roger Craig and Joe Montana decide to reincarnate at Clemson and how is that possible when they're both still alive?

I can’t speak to the ability of reincarnation but I understand your point. Clemson’s ability to get guaranteed 1st round picks to return to school is incredible in today’s world. This Clemson offense looks a lot different without Etienne and even having a great RB to replace him would be a step down. This is no doubt the best QB/RB combo we’ve faced in a long long time.

@GojiraCane (CanesInsight): Following a Miami win, what negative recruiting strategies will Alabama, LSU, and Florida use when recruiting against us in Florida?

It was raining. Clemson overlooked them. They’re only good because of King and he’s gone next year. They got lucky. But SEC bro!

@KrazyCane (CanesInsight): Does Miami have the talent on the defensive line to cause problems for Clemson‘s oline?

Absolutely. Now, easier said than done as Clemson’s OL is always a well coached unit that plays together. Phillips is that physical freak that has the ability to take over any opponent. Roche is trying to play his way into a high draft pick. Nesta/JHH have really developed. They’ll get some pressure but the key will be can they do it consistently and can they get Lawrence on the ground.

@yessirking (CanesInsight): What UM coach has most improved from 2019 to 2020?

Interesting question which leaves the entire defensive staff plus Hickson. But I’m going to go with Manny Diaz. This team so far has looked different. They’ve come out prepared and have taken care of business, winning 3 games all by double digits. The locker room has improved and this team looks like they’re having fun out there. Big change from last year.

@RVACane (CanesInsight): If Miami beats Clemson with a dominant performance by The King does The King become the Heisman front runner? Also, is @KrazyCane right - “no more strikers!”?

Should Miami win, King has the Heisman on lock. A primetime upset over the #1 team in the country and a win over the golden child would cause the King hype to become something we haven't seen here in a long time. He would have to finish the season relatively strong but the trophy would be his.

KrazyCane is wrong, but that’s only because we don’t have many other options. Gil and K. Smith have played well and against a team like Clemson, I think we could see both of them on the field at the same time. On passing downs, I think you need to take Jennings off of the field and add someone with more speed. We don’t have experienced options at safety, especially with Gurvan Hall suspended for a half and we only have 3 CBs that should be seeing the field at this point.

@TerragonSix (CanesInsight): Should our focus be more about stopping Lawrence or Etienne?

Etienne. He’s the focal point of this offense both on the ground and through the air. It’s crazy to think that the opposing quarterback is a lock to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft and he won't be the best player on the field. The odds of us stopping either one aren't very good but hopefully we can contain him.

@Luke Caneswalker (CanesInsight): Can this team handle the big game hangover? Win or lose our performance against Pitt is more telling of who we are imo.

I’m with you on this one. Win or lose against Clemson, we’re going to learn a lot about this team on Saturday night but I think we’ll learn more the following week against Pitt. Don’t forget, that’s a noon game which this team isn’t used to (unlike a certain jort wearing school up North). We just can’t let whatever happens on Saturday ruin the rest of the season. Even with a loss, this team knows that if they win out, they can get a rematch in December. I’m confident they can avoid the hangover.

@SinisterCane (CanesInsight): Is Pope on a short leash as a Punt returner due to fumbles and Harley/Pope as the starting WR's due to drops?

He better be in terms of the punt returner. 2 fumbles in 3 games is unacceptable and I think it says more about the state of the roster that we don’t have another option to go with. Gurvan Hall has been our #2 and he’s a fair catch it every time type guy. Gone are the days of having explosive playmakers back there. Harley/Pope are going to get a chance to redeem themselves. This coaching staff has stuck with them despite the large amount of drops and hopefully they turn the corner. If we continue to have drops against Clemson, we’re not going to win.

@305407cane (CanesInsight): Who is your pick for punt returner if you had the choice? Should we play Smith and Gilbert together?

Absolutely. While they certainly shouldn’t always be in there together, having two players who have speed, can run the alley, and will hit whoever gets the ball is something that can give us an advantage. If there’s been anything that’s caused us grief on defense this year, it’s been a lack of speed on the second level. If we’re married to having 44 or 53 out there in the middle for as many snaps as they get, flanking them with more speed can help mitigate any issues as the lack of athleticism inside may cause.

@SpikeUM (CanesInsight): When should we use Hispanics vs. Latinos?

Hispanic refers to native Spanish speakers (or Spanish-speaking ancestors) and Latinos refers to anyone with Latin American origin. For example, Brazilians are considered Latino but not Hispanic due to speaking Portuguese. I think...

@JeddTheFisch (CanesInsight): Should we leave massive dumps in Clemson's locker room, or clean up after ourselves?

Ask Ed Reed.

@CaneLife93 (CanesInsight): We hear from the experts “is Miami any good or are the teams they faced just overhyped”? When Miami beats Clemson, what’s going to be the next excuse from the pundits?

While other fans will have plenty of excuses, if Miami beats Clemson, the national media and pundits are going to be fighting to get on the bandwagon. Good thing we have our seats already.

@Carolinacane83 (CanesInsight): What is the story with Payton, can we expect him to be a full participant Saturday? That room needs competition.

The WR room certainly needs the competition. Payton has the tools to be a #1 type WR but we need to see the results on the field. His absence last game was unusual, but with Covid issues rumored you just never know. If he is cleared, which sounds like he is, what better time to step than against the #1 team in the country.

@TheOriginalCane (CanesInsight): Where did D.RevLee go? And will he please stay there?

He is rumored to be locked in a basement somewhere putting together the greatest highlight reel ever assembled. As far as his return, ask @RVACane , he has the key.

@Canedog (CanesInsight): Versailles or La Carita?

La Carreta. When you google La Carita, that first song that pops up makes your ears hurt. Try it.

@k9cane (CanesInsight): Do you agree that that 'Champion' made our best looking jersey (in the mid-80's to mid-90's) before Nike took over?

I think the Russell Athletic Era definitely fits in as a favorite for a lot of us who were born into it and appreciate the nostalgia of those great teams. It was a simple look appropriate for the times, but there was also an edge to it with the unique color combination and that badass reddish-orange hue that Nike and Adidas have never quite been able to replicate perfectly. So in terms of traditional look, yes, I would agree that those unis are our best looking, and the most likely ones to be viewed positively in any generation because of their classic aesthetic.

That being said, I do think Nike started strong, as I am always going to be a fan of the late 90s unis with the shadowbox numbers and, of course, the early 00s unis. While they certainly aren’t traditional, the latter unis are so synonymous with greatness that I don’t think I could ever think negatively about them. Nike was just a disaster as the years went on, however.

@ddann (CanesInsight): In the film Braveheart why were the Scots depicted wearing kilts when the kilt was not in widespread use in William Wallace’s day? When it was finally invented and was widely adopted, what advantages did the kilt confer upon Scottish men, and how might these advantages serve as parallels to how the Canes have benefitted from adopting a spread offense under offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee?

“Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story” is a little lesson that I learned a long time ago when it came to getting people to listen to you or, in this case, watch your feature film about Scotland and its classic warrior hero. The fact that the real Wallace would not have worn kilts (rather, lame yellow tunics, possibly covered in horse urine) or the signature blue war paint is something that very few viewers have ever cared about because the image of the film is largely what viewers would expect to see of medieval Scotland. Matching expectations is often a more powerful tool to gain buy-in than trying to explain to people that their expectations are wrong.

As for the value of the kilt, I think that’s obvious: versatility and freedom of movement. While trousers could easily get damp and muddy while walking through the marshes and could easily constrict movement if not made well, the kilt allowed for soldiers to stretch and bend to their heart’s content. Anyone who has ever gone through a skinny jeans phase knows how touch and go certain movements can be when constricted. As someone who wore basketball shorts through roughly 90% of the quarantine, including endless work zooms, I understand totally the value of free movement. In addition, the kilts could easily be dropped during battle (for when you just need to fight naked) and used as blankets during cold weather, an ever present threat.

Just like with kilts, Rhett Lashlee’s versatile, intuitive offense allows for so much more freedom for our key playmakers. Think back to Brevin Jordan’s first TD run last week, how often did you see our biggest receiving threat wide open like that last year? Or for Cam Harris, how often did the defenses stand frozen, worried about a QB while Cam leisurely strolled around the edge for a 50+ yard score? What Lashlee does is give his players space to make plays while allowing D’Eriq King the freedom to lead the charge. Plus, being equally adept at the run and the pass means that we can all sleep easier at night knowing we won’t get stuck in the mud trying to run any archaic offenses.

@JD08 (CanesInsight): With a lot of open source programming languages, specifically R and Python, we see they have a lot of complexity regarding installation and error resolution and seem to be geared toward Linux users. Do you think that as R becomes more widespread as the preferred software for statistics over SAS, there will be a push for an easier implementation?

R’s advantage of being open source certainly offers the opportunity to incredible growth and the community helping to develop it further seems to be a bustling one, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s a wide open door for new users. Ultimately, making implementation easier would depend on the existing community making it a priority, which would require a great deal of effort to do something that isn’t tremendously valuable in the short term. In fact, one might consider the fact that more general mastery of the language might make those who know it best less valuable.

SAS and other languages that are more old school have their drawbacks through the annual licenses, and would also likely have less push to fulfill the requests of their users who may not have the desire to learn a more complex language. So while there are negatives, one must also consider the fact that SAS isn’t as likely to have as many obstacles for new users trying to break into the field. That alone keeps it alive, much in the same way that Photoshop still stands as the most commonly used photo editing software despite there being several capable open source options.

Great mailbag.

Python + Pandas = Greatness

I'd like to address the question about taking a dump in Clemson locker room.

There is a UM protocol.

Only inside the shoes. Fill the toes area of their street shoes -

There are rules . . .

Advertisement
@Canes Legacy once again, you have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

67625539.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back