CIS Mail Bag: Week 13

View as article

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
The CIS Mail Bag is back for week 13. This edition discusses recruiting top targets, Ohio State as a playoff contender, and the Apollo Applications Program. Enjoy!

@JD08 (CanesInsight): What exactly happens to all that rubber that wears off of our tires? You'd think there would be piles of the stuff on the side of the road like at a Nascar track, but there's not.

Tire erosion occurs at a near microscopic level that unless one has a blow out, you would never notice any pieces on the road. Perhaps if you went out looking for small pieces you could locate them but due to the natural elements as well as other cars running over them, it would be difficult. It takes a full tire about 50-80 years to decompose naturally so you can imagine how quickly all those little pieces disappear.

@CaneLife93 (CanesInsight): Advice you would give your 17 year old self? Are you where you thought you’d be at that age? Best decision you’ve made in your life? Worst decision?

This question is deep:

Advice I would give myself: The easiest answer as someone posted in the thread is to invest in Apple and play the stock market to make my older self a millionaire. However, I would tell my 17 year old self to never be afraid of failure and to chase whatever dreams you may have with 100% of your energy and ambition.

Am I where I thought I would be: In terms of personal life, yes I am. Married with a new baby was always the plan. Professionally, no, because at that age I really didn’t know what I wanted to do in life and I didn’t even know my current profession was a thing at that age.

Best decision: Marrying my wife of course. The Miami Hurricanes were the greatest dynasty college football has seen and totally changed the landscape of the sport. Okay, now that she has stopped reading the best decision of my life was marrying my wife. She’s too smart to fall for my tricks and I will not be placed in the doghouse over this mailbag.

Worst decision: I would say not exploring more professional opportunities outside of my current company. I’ve only worked for 1 company my whole life and have grown from the bottom rung up the ladder. While I am by no means rich, I am happy where I am and live a comfortable life, I sometimes think how life would be different if I made a change.

@ChicagoCane1992 (CanesInsight): Your prediction on what the NCAA will do about IC's this year maybe pushing them out to 30-35?

Trying to guess what the NCAA will do is futile, as they rarely get it right and usually further complicate things. I don’t see them pushing the IC limit this year as signing day is 2 weeks away. I could see them granting some type of waiver system for transfers so they don’t eat up ICs in the future. I don’t think they realized how crazy this transfer portal would be and then they add a 1 time, penalty free transfer on top of it which will only increase the attrition for teams.

I think the NCAA should do away with the 85 scholarship limit for now since they’ve given everyone a free year of eligibility, keep the 25 IC limit but come up with a transfer waiver system where you can replace your own transfer with another transfer without counting it as an IC. So in my plan, you can sign 25 high school kids and then replace 3 outgoing transfers with 3 incoming. If you want to bring in additional transfers or didn’t have any transfers from your program, they would count against the 25 ICs. I think it makes sense, it allows teams to keep a full roster while allowing the players to find homes if they choose to transfer and once the free year of eligibility runs its course over the next few years, you can reinstate your 85 limit.

@CFB_Hogan (CanesInsight): Putting your feet into an elevated position apparently helps you with (bowel movements) due to how the stomach is structured. Have you ever thought about improving your ****ting performance with buying something that elevates your feet while taking a **** so that you can save valuable minutes that you would usually spend on ****ting?

I’ve never thought about it as I’ve never really struggled with my performance in that area. If I find myself struggling, I usually have a sip of my wife’s iced caramel vente cappuccino frappuccino with extra caramel and almond milk concoction and that loosens everything up for me. I do like to take my time while I’m in the restroom which usually results in me getting asked why I’m in there for so long but most of the time I’m already done and just checking the message board and twitter.

@423Hurricane did post a link to a Squatty Potty in the question thread so check it out if you need additional help in that area.

@Bccrhp (CanesInsight): OSU is very likely one of the best four teams in the country. If they don't qualify for the Big 10 championship, would you put them in the playoff anyway?

As of now Ohio State is 4-0 with games against Michigan State and Michigan left. They have 1 “quality win” against Indiana who I personally think is one of the most overrated teams in the country. Yes, they are a feel good story and they play hard but they’ve reached a high status off beating Michigan and Penn State, 2 duds. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say they end up 5-0 and don’t qualify for the Big10 Championship. I would not put them into the playoff based on their resume. Playing 5 games against mediocre competition at best shouldn’t allow you to compete with teams that have proven themselves over 9,10,11 games.

I always like to think of it like this. Let’s say a team like Perdue or Iowa had the exact same resume as Ohio State in this instance. We most likely wouldn’t even be discussing them for a playoff spot, OSU is only up there based on name recognition and their pre-season ranking. The Big10 would be wise to have a plan in place to get OSU the necessary amount of games so they can be in the title game. Or ****, they could just change the rules like the ACC did.

@Canedog (CanesInsight): Manscaping, si’ o no?

Si, to an extent.

@GojiraCane (CanesInsight): Current Question: Is Florida State now facing a situation similar to Miami in late 2010, when the entire recruiting class fell apart? In that time period we lost Bridgewater and numerous other recruits, and by the time that Golden was hired only two commitments were left. Could Luke Altmyer's departure coupled with the disastrous season lead to a stampede out the door?

The situations are a little different as we were in a coaching transition when the class fell apart. This should be Norvell’s honeymoon class and it’s been crumbling with multiple departures the last few weeks which is a giant red flag. Altmyer’s de-commitment is the icing on the cake and all but ensures a “failed '' first class for Norvell. FSU QB recruiting has been abysmal with only 2 commits since 2018. They currently sit at #32 in the national rankings according to 247 with 15 commits of which only five are 4 stars. I’d be surprised if they ended up with that many 4 stars as they do have some out of state commits in Hunter Washington (Texas) and Rod Orr (Alabama) that you would have to think would explore other options if they are available. I don’t follow FSU recruiting as closely as I do Miami’s but they don’t seem to be in contention for any blue chippers and will be 3 star bargain hunting just like Golden used to do before signing day.

Pair this disastrous recruiting class with FSU’s recent run of “opt outs”, NFL declarations, and injuries, and FSU’s roster is going to be bare bones next year. There will be more attrition as well before its all said and done. They’ll have to rely on the portal which won’t yield them the talent needed to compete in 2021. FSU is in a dark, dark place right now with no light at the end of the tunnel. Let them burn.

Edit: As I was writing this on Wednesday morning, Woodbey just opted out as well. Oh well.

Double Edit: As I am proofreading this Friday night, they've had another opt out in Durden. Oh well.

@ben (CanesInsight): If you could only eat one kind of cheese for the rest of your life, which do you choose?

Kraft American Singles. It’s delicious on its own, can be melted to make scrumptious nachos, and is versatile enough for your normal sandwiches. I’m not a big cheese guy, when I’m out and about and there’s a cheese plate, I eat all the meats and leave none for anyone else. They can have the fancy, stinky cheeses.

@canesdogo (CanesInsight): How do old wooden ships get IN the bottle, and through the cork no less?....................hmmmmmmmmmmm

You're just being silly with the cork portion of the question so I will ignore that. The hull of the ship has to be small enough to fit through the opening of the bottle and from that point, you use rods and glue to fill in the rest. Anything that is small enough to be assembled outside of the bottle is, which is then inserted and connected to the hull. They do sell kits online if you want to make one on our own. I’ve added a ship in a bottle to the bucket list for when I retire.

@Martycane (CanesInsight): This is a hard one: Explain why we SHOULD NOT be worried about our cornerback recruiting and depth…

There is no need to worry about CB depth right now because we will return the entire room next year which gives us 5 scholarship guys that have been in the program at least a year with 3 guys considered experienced veterans. Clarke and Dunson will be able to provide depth before taking on more of a role in 2022.

Nothing to worry about for CB recruiting, we still have 2 weeks until early signing day and once most of the country’s CBs sign, we can pounce on the remaining targets. We always sign a guy late so that's a stone cold lock. Even if we fail to sign a CB this cycle, buckle up because we're going for a ride through the portal.

Also, don’t discount Malik Curtis actually playing corner in the future. I know people are saying he’s offense because that was what he did mostly in HS, but there’s no reason why his speed, length, and playmaking ability couldn’t really benefit him at corner. At least let him start there while returning kicks/punts and slide to O in a few years if it’s not working.

@SinisterCane (CanesInsight): Who's our top recruit targets for QB, LB and DT?

DT:
Maason Smith- With Leonard Taylor + Allan Haye locked in, we only have room for a monster. If you’ve watched any highlights of Smith, you know he fits the bill. The odds of him coming here are very low so we should all be happy with a 5 star in Taylor and a promising developmental guy in Haye.

LB:
Terrence Lewis- We have Tyler Johnson and Deshawn Troutman committed and Thomas Davis as a LB/DE tweener so just like DT, we’re shooting for the stars here. There has been much debate about Lewis’ off the field concerns (I think we’re on our 4th thread about him on the recruiting board) but there is no question what he brings on the field. I don’t see us bringing in another LB unless it’s Lewis.

QB:
Jake Garcia- The coaching staff never gave up on Garcia despite his commitment to USC. That perseverance looks to have paid off with his de-commitment on Thursday night. He will of course have other suitors but it looks like we have found our QB for this cycle.

We haven’t been rumored to be involved anywhere else although we could be working quietly behind the scenes on some guys that are committed elsewhere. I’d be looking at coaches that are on the hot seat and seeing what QBs they got. Some names are JJ McCarthy (Michigan), Kaidon Salter (Tennessee), and Dematrius Davis (Auburn). Those guys would be considered longshots today but if we have a busy coaching carousel, opportunities could present themselves. Garcia is THE guy as of now and appears to be making a decision soon. Should we miss on him somehow, we’ll most likely be in the portal looking for a QB (either to replace King if he graduates or someone to compete with TVD after King leaves next year should he decide to stay).

@djnellz (CanesInsight): What bowl game do you think we will play in and why do you think it's the Orange Bowl?

With the way the current playoff situation is, you would think that both ND and Clemson are in provided Clemson beats them in the title game. Even if we drop a game (UNC), we will still be the 3rd place ACC team. The most likely scenario to kick us out of the Orange Bowl is if Clemson loses to ND again, a 2 loss Clemson isn’t getting in and then they would be the #2 team in the ACC.

UF is all but locked into the Orange Bowl once Bama pounds them in the SECCG...Miami v UF in a NY6 bowl game...oh boy.

@NateDogg (CanesInsight): Your top 5 UM punters and top 5 UM kickers, all time?

Kicker:
1. Carlos Huerta
2. Matt Bosher
3. Todd Sievers
4. Michael Badgely
5. Jon Peattie (possible flip for Borregales, even in just this short season)

Punter:
1. Jeff Feagles
2. Matt Bosher
3. Pat O’Donnell
4. Lou Hedley
5. Freddie Capshaw

@GojiraCane (CanesInsight): Blast from the Past Question: How would you rate Kenny Kelly in the pantheon of Miami quarterbacks since Gino Torretta? Obviously he was ultimately overshadowed by Ken Dorsey, but I would personally be tempted to rate him fourth or fifth.

As a proud owner of a Kenny Kelly Canes jersey, I can honestly say that I like Kenny Kelly, too. I think that he was on a trajectory to potentially be a really good QB, but I don’t think it would have been doable for him without a complete commitment to football, both to enhance his status as a leader on the team and to get more consistent as a passer. He also wasn’t really in an offense that featured his abilities, especially with guys around him that basically only necessitated the QB to get them the ball as quickly/consistently as possible.

The guys I’d mark as absolutely better would be Ken Dorsey, Stephen Morris, D’Eriq King, Brad Kaaya, Ryan Clement, Brock Berlin, and Jacory Harris, so he’d be around 8th in my book. I’d personally put him there ahead of Wright, Rosier, Covington, and the other guys in that range, but I could see some counter arguments. I think had he played a full career at QB without baseball, things would be different, but it’s also hard to say that he could have held off Dorsey for much longer, no matter what.

@GojiraCane (CanesInsight): Off Topic: How far would the United States be in 2020 had the Apollo Applications Program been fully pursued and funded in the 1970s? It called for numerous additional missions to the moon, a permanent lunar base, and a manned flyby of Venus.

I don’t believe that a fully supported AAP would have led quite as far as one might think we could have gone in the 40+ years since it was basically set aside, mainly for the same reason that it was stopped: lacking public interest. I do, however, believe some of the more immediate goals would have been doable, from continued mapping of the surface to the establishment of some type of very semi-permanent “laboratory” on the moon.

Like with many scientific discoveries, I think that talk of such a settlement had people really excited until the exact scope of what would be done was analyzed, because it likely would have been a decades long process to produce something less than science fiction would tell us was very much possible. I’m sure we would have something up there right now, but chances are it would be more of a little anecdote that you see pop up online every once in a while than a significant part of our culture.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back