Chemistry?

Advertisement
As a recruit you had the option to go to any University you wanted to. You came to the Canes. You were raised in South Florida, You routed for the Canes, you are a Miami Dolphin, Heat and Hurricane fan but mainly bleed Orange and Green. There is tons of support and you're flowered with affection for your decision. Freshman year you don't get in often but coaches are pleased with your progress. You are in line to become a starter but what happens...the **** Portal. The excuse is the portal dude has EXPERIENCE because he played on a less talented team where he started as a Freshman. The portal dude becomes the starter with less time in the system but experience overrides your role. The question becomes HOW WILL I GET EXPERIENCE when this new dude walks right into it. Maybe I should've gone where I would've been more appreciated. As this happens in multiple positions id the team CHEMISTRY damaged, after all I came here to be a CANE and this dude is here for his own personal gain.
I despise the portal and the way it is being used. I'd hate to be the 4 or 5 star overlooked by a one year new guy and I cannot but think it affects team Chemistry, probably the most important aspect in development. Our historic Canes constantly remark how they didn't want to let there teammates or the TEAM down. I just don't see the bonding I saw with the successful Canes, there is something remiss and I believe it is CHEMISTRY. Parish came in and took over as RB (yet left again for his personal gain he sure wasn't a devoted Hurricane) and talk is we need another EXPERIENCED RB, no wonder the RB's are fleeing and 5 defensive Linemen. I miss the CHEMISTRY we had.
I'm actually going to go ahead and bite here. Honestly frag, you make some very valid points. It's the push pull between do I put in a younger guy we recruited to let him get live gameday experience and grow and get better or do I defer to a more experienced kid from the portal?

Does it or could it affect chemistry? These are valid questions. To answer the chemistry question, yes it can absolutely affect team chemistry. In terms of the other question of letting the young kids develop or bring in a portal vet, that's very specific to the needs of each team.

To answer the entire question I will say that this is all at the discretion of the head coach. The head coach has to know the dynamics of his locker room in order to make the best decisions for the team without losing credibility with younger players. In this day and age of college free agency, this skill in a head coach becomes absolutely crucial.

At the end of the day the head coach is there to improve his team any way he can and to win games. He just has to be skilled enough to find the right balance between high school recruiting/development and supplementing and/or filling immediate needs through the portal. The good news for us is that we are a huge brand in an advantageous location with a recruiting savant as a head coach at a school with one of the best most elite NIL collectives in the nation. Because of this we are a school that will mostly be fed by this system as opposed to being fed on like a Louisville or a Vanderbilt. Mario Cristobal has his faults like all coaches do but in current college football climate, there aren't many I would rather have to be the head coach here at UM at this point in the program's development.

As a recruit you had the option to go to any University you wanted to. You came to the Canes. You were raised in South Florida, You routed for the Canes, you are a Miami Dolphin, Heat and Hurricane fan but mainly bleed Orange and Green. There is tons of support and you're flowered with affection for your decision. Freshman year you don't get in often but coaches are pleased with your progress. You are in line to become a starter but what happens...the **** Portal. The excuse is the portal dude has EXPERIENCE because he played on a less talented team where he started as a Freshman. The portal dude becomes the starter with less time in the system but experience overrides your role. The question becomes HOW WILL I GET EXPERIENCE when this new dude walks right into it. Maybe I should've gone where I would've been more appreciated. As this happens in multiple positions id the team CHEMISTRY damaged, after all I came here to be a CANE and this dude is here for his own personal gain.
I despise the portal and the way it is being used. I'd hate to be the 4 or 5 star overlooked by a one year new guy and I cannot but think it affects team Chemistry, probably the most important aspect in development. Our historic Canes constantly remark how they didn't want to let there teammates or the TEAM down. I just don't see the bonding I saw with the successful Canes, there is something remiss and I believe it is CHEMISTRY. Parish came in and took over as RB (yet left again for his personal gain he sure wasn't a devoted Hurricane) and talk is we need another EXPERIENCED RB, no wonder the RB's are fleeing and 5 defensive Linemen. I miss the CHEMISTRY we had.
That same scenario has gone on in Miami/Dade for forever at the high school level, and to be honest around most of the state way prior to free agency:

A soph stud, playing behind a senior on a team geared to make a title run that year and next, then just when he thinks its his turn, in comes a transfer who wants to play for a ring, or one the coach recruited to better his odds.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back