CBS Sports ACC Preview

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...7/college-basketball-conference-previews-acc-

8th, 12th, 13th, 13th, 13th, and 13th.

4.png
Miami

The great thing about Shane Larkin emerging as an elite point guard last season was how it allowed the Hurricanes to go 15-3 in the ACC, win the league's regular-season title and make the Sweet 16 for just the second time in school history. But the bad thing about all of this -- and it's not really a bad thing; it's just an unfortunate byproduct for the short-term prospects of the program -- is that it propelled Larkin to the NBA a year earlier than any reasonable person could've expected. So now all six of the players who led the Hurricanes in minutes and points last season are no longer a part of the program. Miami's leading returning scorer? That's senior guard Rion Brown. He averaged 6.4 points last season.

ACC
FINISH
5.png

GARY PARRISH
6.png

JEFF BORZELLO
7.png

MATT NORLANDER
8.png

DOUG GOTTLIEB
9.png

JERRY
PALM
10.png

JON ROTHSTEIN
BC

PITT

MIAMI

BC

BC

PITT
FSU

GATECH

GATECH

FSU

GATECH

GATECH
WAKE

FSU

NCST

WAKE

FSU

FSU
NCST

NCST

BC

NCST

NCST

NCST
GATECH

WAKE

FSU

GATECH

WAKE

MIAMI
MIAMI

MIAMI

CLEM

MIAMI

MIAMI

WAKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

Advertisement
I have to think that we still have one of the superior game-day coaches in the conference. Isn't that good for something?

The great thing about Shane Larkin emerging as an elite point guard last season was how it allowed the Hurricanes to go 15-3 in the ACC, win the league's regular-season title and make the Sweet 16 for just the second time in school history. But the bad thing about all of this -- and it's not really a bad thing; it's just an unfortunate byproduct for the short-term prospects of the program -- is that it propelled Larkin to the NBA a year earlier than any reasonable person could've expected. So now all six of the players who led the Hurricanes in minutes and points last season are no longer a part of the program. Miami's leading returning scorer? That's senior guard Rion Brown. He averaged 6.4 points last season.

I think the canes are a wildcard. That doesn't mean something good but just because our team is really different from last year. We added a JUCO (Kelly), transfer (Kirk) and a redshirt (Adams) to the roster. We are expecting two kids (Burnett and Manu) to log heavy minutes in the back court and maybe another at SF (Reed). How much did Jekiri and Brown develop from last year?

As someone who went to the ACC Tourney last year and watched that team win the title, let me share something--last year's team was special. We all know that. It was one of those awesome rides that ended a little earlier than I wanted it to in the Sweet 16. Barry Larkin in the stands, guys like Gamble and Kadji having career seasons, guys like Scott and TMJ making timely buckets or defensive stops...it was a lot of fun to watch.

As I was having fun watching that all go down though--I had to keep in mind that this upcoming season almost certainly will be where we take some lumps in return for some of the beatings our uber-talented squad gave out last season. I just had to enjoy it while it lasted.

If this year's team can somehow finish in the middle of the ACC pack, I'll be pumped. The main thing I will be looking for is more implementation of Coach L's system, and hoping we can use that to pull out some victories in matchups that we're the weaker squad. Now...the 14-15 season ought to be good if we continue to recruit well. But this season--prepare your collective anuses.

I just want to maintain the recruiting class we have and give some of the younger guys some more burn. Definitely going to be rough at times.

Expect Duke to slap the floor at us. Expect UNC to attempt an off the backboard alley-oop as well. It's all good though, it just reinforces how mad they were when we beat them. But in 2014/2015...WE COMIN'.

Honestly, does anyone really know what to expect this year? This roster is so different that how can any one really take an educated guess.

1. How good are these elder statesmen (Kelly, Kirk and Adams)?

2. Development: How much improvement can we expect from Jekiri, Brown, Swoope and the Admiral?

3. Are these kids ready for Burn (Manu, Burnett and Reed)?

While I am not expecting top 5 in the conference, would you be shocked with 7-9 ACC wins?

Advertisement
Get your licks in now ACC, Coach L comin.

And 13th, pfffffthbt We aint gonna be last, Coach L is a real coach, with a real plan. We will not be the suck.

Get your licks in now ACC, Coach L comin.

And 13th, pfffffthbt We aint gonna be last, Coach L is a real coach, with a real plan. We will not be the suck.

There are 15 teams in the ACC for basketball with Pitt, SU and Notre Dame.

Advertisement
I just want to maintain the recruiting class we have and give some of the younger guys some more burn. Definitely going to be rough at times.

Expect Duke to slap the floor at us. Expect UNC to attempt an off the backboard alley-oop as well. It's all good though, it just reinforces how mad they were when we beat them. But in 2014/2015...WE COMIN'.

Half our roster wouldn't understand the relevance of the floor slapping and backboard alley ooping anyway. If Duke and Nc did that up by 25 against a team full of freshmen and transfers it would just look stupid.

Advertisement
Back